Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Report: Mets inquire about Tulo, CarGo

As a symbol of where they are in their rebuilding effort and the growing strength of their farm system, Mets officials have told their Rockies counterparts if Troy Tulowitzki or Carlos Gonzalez are ever made available, they want in on the action.

Rockies ownership has strongly stated it does not want to deal CarGo and, especially, Tulowitzki. But the extended run of poor play by the franchise, the growing contracts of the two players and the teeming disenchantment of the fan base has moved many within the industry to believe that decision could change, if not now, then this offseason.

An AL executive who checked in with the Rockies described a club in some disarray concerning who will be making front office decisions in the future, but not ready yet to trade a huge piece now. An NL executive said he believes owner Dick Monfort will consider the move more than ever, but ultimately is too loyal and committed to those players to move them.

But keep in mind Tulowitzki has indicated he has become frustrated playing his prime mainly in non-contention. And there is belief if he were to request a trade, ownership would strongly consider fulfilling his wishes. However, Tulowitzki has a no-trade provision, wears No. 2 in honor of Derek Jeter and is thought to be considerably more interested in being a Yankee than a Met. And Colorado already has expressed interest to the Yankees in their top pitching prospect, Luis Severino.

Plus, sources say the Cardinals — owners of arguably the deepest farm system in the sport — are enamored with Tulowitzki and would move significant pieces to land him. In fact, the market will be deep if Tulowitzki comes onto it, because he is viewed as one of the 10 best players in the majors.

And one NL executive said “because Colorado always needs to address pitching, I actually see the Mets as their perfect partner.”

The Mets want to add a shortstop (like Tulowitzki) and/or a left fielder (like CarGo) and see those as finishing pieces to being a sustained contender. That the Mets reached out to Colorado suggests a) they have the resources to add a significant long-term contract and b) their farm system is viewed within the sport as elite.

That last part is essential going forward to open doors for the Mets. The Rockies are said to think highly of Noah Syndergaard, Brandon Nimmo, Steven Matz, Dilson Herrera and others. In other words, the Mets — if they are willing to part with some combination of good farmhands — will be factors for CarGo, Tulowitzki or any other star that comes onto the market.

As for CarGo and Tulo, they share the same issues that will make teams wonder about how much to surrender: injury-prone histories, significant dollars owed and stats buoyed by playing home games at Coors Field.

Tulowitzki, 30 in October, has started 140 games at shortstop just three times in seven full years. He is being paid $14 million this season and then has five more years left at $104 million, plus a $2 million provision if he is traded and escalators to his base contracts based on — among other items — MVP finish. This season, Tulowitzki has a 1.246 OPS at home and .811 away, and it is .962/.818 for his career.

Gonzalez, who turns 29 in October, had spent a good chunk of this season on the disabled list after having a benign tumor removed from his left index finger. He has started 140 games just once in four full years in the majors. Gonzalez is earning $10.5 million this season and has three years at $53 million remaining on his contract from 2015-17. His home/road splits are .915/.598 this year and .987/.758 for his career. He is not perceived as the same level of star as Tulowitzki, but the lefty-swinging Gonzalez is still considered an above-average player.
    http://nypost.com/2014/07/24/mets-to...-cargo-trades/

Yes please!

vCash

They're probably just scouting Drew Stubbs

vCash
    Assuming they could only get one, it will most likely be Cargo. They still need a SS as well but Tulo is probably too rich for their blood in terms of money and eventual price tag in trade.

vCash
    Tulo is so good, but damn he is always injured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Assuming they could only get one, it will most likely be Cargo. They still need a SS as well but Tulo is probably too rich for their blood in terms of money and eventual price tag in trade.
    Agreed. I feel like we could get Cargo without Noah. Tulo no way though.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Tulo doesn't go to a losing culture. His idol is Derek Jeter. Yanks need a SS and Tulo becomes the new #2.

The other option I see is Tulo going to the Cards. Forget our Metsies, he is not going to come here.....
    It's Bumper Car Season

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Mets have a better shot at getting Matt Kemp than CarGo IMO.
    It's Bumper Car Season

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Yanks don't have the prospects for Tulo and I want no part of Matt Kemp. He's been awful since signing that new deal. People can say what they want about Cargo, product of Coors, has been injured, but he's easily the best OF talent available in trade right now, is still in his prime (in terms of age), and his contract is fairly reasonable given players of his talent level. The Rockies have Corey Dickerson who is a beast and need pitching. Cargo could also presumably be had without parting with Noah like Metsbulls said.

This team needs a middle of the order bat to go with Duda and Wright.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-25-2014 at 02:53 AM.

vCash
    I wonder if the Cards would be willing to move Kolten Wong, Matt Adams, Shelby Miller, and John Jay for Tulo. That's probably the only team with a farm that can beat us that has the money to take on Tulo.

A package of Niese, Syndergaard, Plawecki and one more piece would be a legit threat to anything the Cards or another team could offer.

You could get CarGo for less, and yes, Tulo has more injury woes, but anytime you get the best player at his position, you're doing something right. Tulo would change everything about our team in a heartbeat.

Add a Harvey and Tulo to this team and you're talking about adding 8-10 wins to this ballclub.

vCash
    The other thing Tulo brings over CarGo is leadership. I think Tulo is better equipped to handle NYC and the media. Tulo would offer the kind of leadership that pairs well with David Wright.

vCash

What if we got both. It'd be amazing if we had the flexibility to take on both. Giving up Syndegard, Niese, Plawecki, and Nimmo for both whilst eating both (or most) of the salaries.

A lineup of

Granderson
    Murphy
    Tulo
    Cargo
    Wright
    Duda
    TDA
    Lagares

Oh man. That just sounds sexy and improbable. Let me dream.

vCash
    We don't need both. It would certainly be sexy though. I mentioned it in another post but if we landed Tulo, getting Michael Cuddyer to come here on a 1 year deal is pretty likely considering Cuddyer is VA buddies with Wright and a current teammate of Tulo.

This lineup would be more than formidable:

Granderson
    Wright
    Tulowitzki
    Duda
    Cuddyer
    Murphy
    d'Arnaud
    Lagares

That team is sustainable because you can replace Grandy with Nimmo, Cuddyer with Conforto, and Murphy with Herrera and not really skip a beat as far as lineup expectations go.

vCash
    Cuddyer? No thanks. If we traded for Tulo, I would want Tomas or maybe Melky Cabrera who is raking this year and is only 30. Conforto is not going to be ready until late 2016 or 2017 at this rate. No one is replacing Granderson either, he's getting paid to play everyday.

And you keep saying how this guy will replace that guy, but then who are you dealing for Tulo?
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 07-25-2014 at 04:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Cuddyer? No thanks. If we traded for Tulo, I would want Tomas or maybe Melky Cabrera who is raking this year and is only 30. Conforto is not going to be ready until late 2016 or 2017 at this rate. No one is replacing Granderson either, he's getting paid to play everyday.

And you keep saying how this guy will replace that guy, but then who are you dealing for Tulo?
    Exactly! I said that in a previous comment. why go after an injury prone player like Cargo or an older player like Cuddyer, when these Cubans are taking over baseball. Also Tomas would cost you cash, no prospects. I somewhat contradict myself because Tulo has been pretty injury prone himself, but Tulo is a SS. Those seem very hard to come by. Besides Tulo is an MVP type player.

lowball them with Plawecki, DeGrom, Montero, And Nimmo see hoe they feel about it. If not replace DeGrom with either Thor or Wheeler. More than that I'm not willing to give up.

Granderson
    Murphy
    Tulowitzki
    Tomas
    Wright
    Duda
    DarNo
    Lagares

vCash
    Tulo or bust.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast