Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 353
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bernabeu
    Posts
    1,870
    vCash
    1500

    Why can't Kobe be considered the GOAT?

    First and foremost I am not trolling here but simply wanting to get a a better understanding from some of the posters here who actually are basketball 'experts'.

    I dont really post here often but i do read a lot of the forum questions and replies you guys post.

    I started watching the NBA in 2002 and IMO Kobe has been the best player I've ever seen and I base that off his footwork, his athleticism, total offensive arsenal and his sheer willingness to win at all costs (which I think a lot of you guys take for granted).

    Theres a lot of hate on this man and I dont understand why people do not consider him to be the greatest to play the game? Is it because Michael was such a god during his time and his name as well as influence worldwide makes him untouchable? Or is there actually something that MJ can do/did that Kobe can never accomplish?

    I dont think i can ever consider the Lebron to be the GOAT and not because of the idea that he is 'mentally weak' or 'unloyal' the man is a beast but I put him in the tier with Bird/Kareem/Olajuwon.

    To me there are only 3 people that i see mentioning as the possible candidates to be the greatest and those are Kobe-MJ-Magic.

    So to keep this short: Why cant Kobe be the Greatest?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    perth australia
    Posts
    9,837
    vCash
    1500
    skill wise hes the goat IMO but the top players is not judged only by what you're as a player but what you have accomplished through out your career.


    but i still have him 2nd behind mj.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shambala
    Posts
    43,970
    vCash
    1500
    he is the goat ...............................

    at driving talented big men out of town.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,917
    vCash
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    skill wise hes the goat IMO but the top players is not judged only by what you're as a player but what you have accomplished through out your career.


    but i still have him 2nd behind mj.
    Didn't you have Kobe like 90th about a week ago?

    Too late for Kobe to be the GOAT. If he was 31 with these accomplishments, maybe he'd have a chance but he's 36 and it's tough to say he'll do anything spectacular at this point.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bernabeu
    Posts
    1,870
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Didn't you have Kobe like 90th about a week ago?

    Too late for Kobe to be the GOAT. If he was 31 with these accomplishments, maybe he'd have a chance but he's 36 and it's tough to say he'll do anything spectacular at this point.
    Thats the thing, why is it too late? Why Has everything hes done leading up to this point not enough to warrant the top spot?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    6,166
    vCash
    1500
    Because per and fg%
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

    2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb


    Receptions: 54
    Yards: 779
    Tds: 10

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Los angeles
    Posts
    894
    vCash
    500
    Two things. 1st, you started watching basketball in 2002, that says a lot about your argument. And 2nd, metrics.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36,542
    vCash
    1090


    The hell you have him 2nd?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    59
    vCash
    500
    I'm a huge Kobe fan but he's still second to Jordan, because Kobe literally is Jordan, only a slightly crappier version of his Airness. I think Kobe's lack of MVP awards speaks for itself. In my opinion a player can't really be considered in the GOAT debate when he was only considered the best player once during his 18 season NBA career. Kobe's FG% has only ever been average also, that's not up for debate. I just don't think the argument is there for the guy. His tenacity and will matches Jordan though, which is what I love about Kobe the most. He's a killer!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,917
    vCash
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk6 View Post
    Thats the thing, why is it too late? Why Has everything hes done leading up to this point not enough to warrant the top spot?
    MJ he clearly doesn't beat...
    KAJ was a better player and has more accolades.

    Don't see him beating these two. I have Kobe 4th behind Wilt but I can't ignore Wilt's 50/25 seasons... That's too hard to overlook. I know it was a rather weak era but there is no reason to believe 30/15 wouldn't be his averages against modern or 90's era. He was agile, tall, athletic. Just the overall package in a center. No one here probably even agrees with Kobe being #4 but he's the closest thing to MJ for a reason. Nearly identical player to the GOAT has to mean something. He tagteamed with Shaq (most dominating player outside of Wilt?) but let's face it, had it been Jordan on that Lakers squad, odds are Shaq would escape with at least two of those Finals MVP's. The things Shaq was doing was just unreal:


    2000 Finals: 38 PPG 2.7 BPG 17 RPG 2.4 APG on 61%
    2001 Finals: 33 PPG 3.4 BPG 16 RPG 4.8 APG on 57%
    2002 Finals: 36 PPG 2.7 BPG 12 RPG 3.8 APG on 60%

    I don't think MJ would steal more than one away from Shaq.. Kobe realistically only had 1 chance to win the FMVP since 00-01 he was horrible but 02

    2002 Finals: 27 PPG .75 BPG 6 RPG 5.3 APG on 51%


    Not saying that he beats Shaq for FMVP but most likely in any other year, he would've been the FMVP.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    24,127
    vCash
    1500
    because he doesnt have the snuff statwise to be and he wasnt exceedingly dominant.he was just really good for a long time(not a bad thing,but not enough to be in the goat convo)
    Last edited by abe_froman; 07-24-2014 at 03:06 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,032
    vCash
    1500
    at what point during his career was he the undisputed best player in the NBA? how can he be the "goat" if he can't even establish himself as THE best player while he's playing?


    "Hard" Kobe getting shook by a role player

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    perth australia
    Posts
    9,837
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Didn't you have Kobe like 90th about a week ago?

    Too late for Kobe to be the GOAT. If he was 31 with these accomplishments, maybe he'd have a chance but he's 36 and it's tough to say he'll do anything spectacular at this point.
    thats true but don't you think that was a bit childish on my part? sometimes we have to think outside the box because thatís how we learn, thatís how we grow, right? We never stop learning. We never stop growing.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,557
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    MJ he clearly doesn't beat...
    KAJ was a better player and has more accolades.

    Don't see him beating these two. I have Kobe 4th behind Wilt but I can't ignore Wilt's 50/25 seasons... That's too hard to overlook. I know it was a rather weak era but there is no reason to believe 30/15 wouldn't be his averages against modern or 90's era. He was agile, tall, athletic. Just the overall package in a center. No one here probably even agrees with Kobe being #4 but he's the closest thing to MJ for a reason. Nearly identical player to the GOAT has to mean something. He tagteamed with Shaq (most dominating player outside of Wilt?) but let's face it, had it been Jordan on that Lakers squad, odds are Shaq would escape with at least two of those Finals MVP's. The things Shaq was doing was just unreal:


    2000 Finals: 38 PPG 2.7 BPG 17 RPG 2.4 APG on 61%
    2001 Finals: 33 PPG 3.4 BPG 16 RPG 4.8 APG on 57%
    2002 Finals: 36 PPG 2.7 BPG 12 RPG 3.8 APG on 60%

    I don't think MJ would steal more than one away from Shaq.. Kobe realistically only had 1 chance to win the FMVP since 00-01 he was horrible but 02

    2002 Finals: 27 PPG .75 BPG 6 RPG 5.3 APG on 51%


    Not saying that he beats Shaq for FMVP but most likely in any other year, he would've been the FMVP.
    This is why Shaq is in my top 3 of all-time, and also why you can never say Kobe was better than Shaq. You can say he had a better career, but to say he was more dominant or a better player is ridiculous. Yo OP, this is all you need to see why he's not the GOAT. Shaq isn't the only one now, but he one of the 10-12 players who can say they were better than Kobe and have a great argument. But this is no argument. Kobe was never capable of getting better production than 38 and 17 on 61% FG. Thats preposterous to average in an NBA finals. Hats off to Shaq. Only one of those.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    523
    vCash
    1500
    He's the best closer ever IMO. I've never seen a player other than Jordan or Bird maybe that thrives under pressure and isn't phased by it like Kobe.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •