Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why can't Kobe be considered the GOAT?

First and foremost I am not trolling here but simply wanting to get a a better understanding from some of the posters here who actually are basketball 'experts'.

I dont really post here often but i do read a lot of the forum questions and replies you guys post.

I started watching the NBA in 2002 and IMO Kobe has been the best player I've ever seen and I base that off his footwork, his athleticism, total offensive arsenal and his sheer willingness to win at all costs (which I think a lot of you guys take for granted).

Theres a lot of hate on this man and I dont understand why people do not consider him to be the greatest to play the game? Is it because Michael was such a god during his time and his name as well as influence worldwide makes him untouchable? Or is there actually something that MJ can do/did that Kobe can never accomplish?

I dont think i can ever consider the Lebron to be the GOAT and not because of the idea that he is 'mentally weak' or 'unloyal' the man is a beast but I put him in the tier with Bird/Kareem/Olajuwon.

To me there are only 3 people that i see mentioning as the possible candidates to be the greatest and those are Kobe-MJ-Magic.

So to keep this short: Why cant Kobe be the Greatest?

vCash
    skill wise hes the goat IMO but the top players is not judged only by what you're as a player but what you have accomplished through out your career.

but i still have him 2nd behind mj.

vCash
    he is the goat ...............................

at driving talented big men out of town.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    skill wise hes the goat IMO but the top players is not judged only by what you're as a player but what you have accomplished through out your career.

but i still have him 2nd behind mj.
    Didn't you have Kobe like 90th about a week ago?

Too late for Kobe to be the GOAT. If he was 31 with these accomplishments, maybe he'd have a chance but he's 36 and it's tough to say he'll do anything spectacular at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post

Too late for Kobe to be the GOAT. If he was 31 with these accomplishments, maybe he'd have a chance but he's 36 and it's tough to say he'll do anything spectacular at this point.
    Thats the thing, why is it too late? Why Has everything hes done leading up to this point not enough to warrant the top spot?

vCash
    Because per and fg%
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb

Receptions: 54
    Yards: 779
    Tds: 10

vCash
    Two things. 1st, you started watching basketball in 2002, that says a lot about your argument. And 2nd, metrics.

vCash

The hell you have him 2nd?

vCash
    I'm a huge Kobe fan but he's still second to Jordan, because Kobe literally is Jordan, only a slightly crappier version of his Airness. I think Kobe's lack of MVP awards speaks for itself. In my opinion a player can't really be considered in the GOAT debate when he was only considered the best player once during his 18 season NBA career. Kobe's FG% has only ever been average also, that's not up for debate. I just don't think the argument is there for the guy. His tenacity and will matches Jordan though, which is what I love about Kobe the most. He's a killer!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk6 View Post
    Thats the thing, why is it too late? Why Has everything hes done leading up to this point not enough to warrant the top spot?
    MJ he clearly doesn't beat...
    KAJ was a better player and has more accolades.

Don't see him beating these two. I have Kobe 4th behind Wilt but I can't ignore Wilt's 50/25 seasons... That's too hard to overlook. I know it was a rather weak era but there is no reason to believe 30/15 wouldn't be his averages against modern or 90's era. He was agile, tall, athletic. Just the overall package in a center. No one here probably even agrees with Kobe being #4 but he's the closest thing to MJ for a reason. Nearly identical player to the GOAT has to mean something. He tagteamed with Shaq (most dominating player outside of Wilt?) but let's face it, had it been Jordan on that Lakers squad, odds are Shaq would escape with at least two of those Finals MVP's. The things Shaq was doing was just unreal:

2000 Finals: 38 PPG 2.7 BPG 17 RPG 2.4 APG on 61%
    2001 Finals: 33 PPG 3.4 BPG 16 RPG 4.8 APG on 57%
    2002 Finals: 36 PPG 2.7 BPG 12 RPG 3.8 APG on 60%

I don't think MJ would steal more than one away from Shaq.. Kobe realistically only had 1 chance to win the FMVP since 00-01 he was horrible but 02

2002 Finals: 27 PPG .75 BPG 6 RPG 5.3 APG on 51%

Not saying that he beats Shaq for FMVP but most likely in any other year, he would've been the FMVP.

vCash
    because he doesnt have the snuff statwise to be and he wasnt exceedingly dominant.he was just really good for a long time(not a bad thing,but not enough to be in the goat convo)
    Last edited by abe_froman; 07-24-2014 at 03:06 AM.

vCash
    at what point during his career was he the undisputed best player in the NBA? how can he be the "goat" if he can't even establish himself as THE best player while he's playing?

"Hard" Kobe getting shook by a role player

vCash

thats true but don't you think that was a bit childish on my part? sometimes we have to think outside the box because thatís how we learn, thatís how we grow, right? We never stop learning. We never stop growing.

vCash
    MJ he clearly doesn't beat...
    KAJ was a better player and has more accolades.

Don't see him beating these two. I have Kobe 4th behind Wilt but I can't ignore Wilt's 50/25 seasons... That's too hard to overlook. I know it was a rather weak era but there is no reason to believe 30/15 wouldn't be his averages against modern or 90's era. He was agile, tall, athletic. Just the overall package in a center. No one here probably even agrees with Kobe being #4 but he's the closest thing to MJ for a reason. Nearly identical player to the GOAT has to mean something. He tagteamed with Shaq (most dominating player outside of Wilt?) but let's face it, had it been Jordan on that Lakers squad, odds are Shaq would escape with at least two of those Finals MVP's. The things Shaq was doing was just unreal:

2000 Finals: 38 PPG 2.7 BPG 17 RPG 2.4 APG on 61%
    2001 Finals: 33 PPG 3.4 BPG 16 RPG 4.8 APG on 57%
    2002 Finals: 36 PPG 2.7 BPG 12 RPG 3.8 APG on 60%

I don't think MJ would steal more than one away from Shaq.. Kobe realistically only had 1 chance to win the FMVP since 00-01 he was horrible but 02

2002 Finals: 27 PPG .75 BPG 6 RPG 5.3 APG on 51%

Not saying that he beats Shaq for FMVP but most likely in any other year, he would've been the FMVP.
    This is why Shaq is in my top 3 of all-time, and also why you can never say Kobe was better than Shaq. You can say he had a better career, but to say he was more dominant or a better player is ridiculous. Yo OP, this is all you need to see why he's not the GOAT. Shaq isn't the only one now, but he one of the 10-12 players who can say they were better than Kobe and have a great argument. But this is no argument. Kobe was never capable of getting better production than 38 and 17 on 61% FG. Thats preposterous to average in an NBA finals. Hats off to Shaq. Only one of those.

vCash
    He's the best closer ever IMO. I've never seen a player other than Jordan or Bird maybe that thrives under pressure and isn't phased by it like Kobe.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast