Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Why Jimmy Rollins is a good sign in the offseason

As we all know, this is Jeter's final year not only in pinstripes, but also playing on the diamond at his "second home," ShortStop. It's obviously going to be hard replacing a future HOF right out of the gate, but why not go out and sign Jimmy Rollins in the offseason?

Rollins is in his final year of his 3 year, $33 million contract with the Phillies, but has a vesting option for 2015. Rollins will be 36 come next year and still plays with the heart of a 20 year old. He's a leader, veteran player with enough infield intellect to lead the infield like Jeter has done since '96. That's something the Yankees need, especially since this year's infield has been horrific.

Rollins has played in 142 games or more in three last three years and is on pace to do the same this year. His hitting has been declining, but still is hitting for average (.257 in the last three years). His BABIP this year (currently .259) is low for a solid contact guy like him, but his BABIP has been fine (.275) in the last three years. That's mostly bc his HR numbers has jumped this year (on pace for 26 HR) and that's more power and contact being added to the Yankee lineup. A hitter-friendly ballpark in Yankee Stadium will help out Rollins a ton wit his power AND his contact.

Rollins is also still fine defensively. Jeter has lost his range over the years and Rollins seems to be doing the same as his rPM (Plus/Minus Runs Saved runs above avergae) has been worse and worse in the last few years, but he has been committing less errors and is on pace of having a higher fielding percentage this year than he did in the last few years. It's common for infielders to lose their range as they get older, but Rollins still is fielding well, not bad.

Rollins is on the path of retirement as well and even though it seems odd signing a guy who's future may be ending soon, Rollins is capable of bringing the leadership and talent the Yakees need next year to the Bronx. Carlos Beltran, who's 37, signed a 3 year, $45 million contract in the offseason, so I see Rollins being offered the same. I'm thinking 2/3/4 years, $30-$45 million.

The Yankees will no longer have any members of The Core Four next year, so next year's offseason will be key in what the Yankees do. Rollins is a start in rebuilding the infield and fits well in what they Yankees need to rebuild their team.

vCash
    Pretty sure his vesting option will go through...

vCash
    Whole lot of nope. Get younger. Rather go after JJ hardy if the Orioles don't resign him. He's good defensively and has power. Even though he is 31 I believe he can be had on a 3 year deal as a stop gap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU:28834563
    Whole lot of nope. Get younger. Rather go after JJ hardy if the Orioles don't resign him. He's good defensively and has power. Even though he is 31 I believe he can be had on a 3 year deal as a stop gap.
    Agreed, if we cannot aqcuire a young controlled SS IE. Castro, Andrus

Sign someone like Hardy who is reliable. Great defensively and has power. Not to mention younger.

Rollins is close to being done, not worth it, especially what he'll probably cost anyway

vCash
    Andrus

2009- 81 WRC+
    2010- 75 WRC+
    2011- 96 WRC+
    2012- 93 WRC+
    2013- 96 WRC+
    2014- 78 WRC+

Hardy

2011- 113 WRC+
    2012- 79 WRC+
    2013- 100 WRC+
    2014- 92 WRC +

What I like more about hardy is he hits for power and is still good defensively. Although I did hear hardy may have a back problem.

2011- 30 HR
    2012- 22 HR
    2013- 25 HR
    2014- 4 HR
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 07-23-2014 at 06:39 PM.

vCash
    He clearly stopped the Arod workout plan
    7 Rec, 69 YD, 1TD

vCash
    Andrus is a worse hitter than Jeter. And he's going to be paid $15 million a year for the next 8 years... yeah.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Yes.

It's all downhill from here.
    Might as well enjoy the ride.

vCash
    I think Hanley is most likely a Yankee in the offseason with plan B being Hardy. That said, Lowrie and Drew provide decent buy low options if the Yankees don't want to commit to the 4 years on Hardy and the 5+years on Hanley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I think Hanley is most likely a Yankee in the offseason with plan B being Hardy. That said, Lowrie and Drew provide decent buy low options if the Yankees don't want to commit to the 4 years on Hardy and the 5+years on Hanley.
    Hanley and his constant leg issues concern me majorly. Not high on getting into a bidding war with the Dodgers for a guy like him.

I see hardy getting 4/52

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU:28834883
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Hanley and his constant leg issues concern me majorly. Not high on getting into a bidding war with the Dodgers for a guy like him.

I see hardy getting 4/52
    I agree with your projection got Hardy's contract. Of the FA shortstops not named Hanley Ramirez Hardy is probably my pick. Cabrera's been declining with the bat for years and has always been a pretty bad defensive shortstop, Lowrie I've liked in the past but has a long injury history and has been bad this year, Rollins probably won't make it to FA and even if he does he's too old, and Drew hasn't helped himself this year. That leaves Hardy who's always been a little inconsistent with the bat but has power, but more importantly is an excellent defender.

Didi Gregorius is someone I'd like to pursue in the trade market as well. Arizona has 3 shortstops on their roster that are 24 or younger in Gregorius, Owings, and Ahmed, and I believe Gregorius will be the odd man out. He hasn't been great in the majors this year in limited playing time, but he's put up a .310/.389/.447 line in AAA this year. While he's a bit more of a risk than Hardy, I think a young guy like Gregorius would be my preference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post

I see hardy getting 4/52
    Yeah but he's clearly the most superior SS talent market even with the durability concerns. Not to mention the Dodgers are currently obligated to more than 40 million dollars in salary next year than the Yankees with contractual and projected arbitration raises. I think the Yankees make a hard push for Hanley then look at Hardy if there is a potential bidding war.

Hardy is safe to get a deal like you mentioned or perhaps a tad more like Peralta.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-24-2014 at 10:32 AM.

vCash
    Andrus is one of the most overpaid players ever.

vCash
    Headley at 3rd and Arod @ SS next year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYY09 View Post
    Headley at 3rd and Arod @ SS next year?
    Zero percent that happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast