Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Odell Beckham has Giants concerned with his hamstring

EAST RUTHERFORD -- It was one thing for rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to sit out minicamp with a slight hamstring pull. The Giants and their first-round pick were being cautious.

But one practice into training camp, Beckham pulled up lame again after getting his feet tangled with cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. He pulled up on the play, which didn't seem to please coach Tom Coughlin.

Beckham was on the field Wednesday with his helmet and pads, but did nothing aside from stretching and warmups. It admittedly has the Giants concerned.

"He missed part of spring ball with a hamstring and he tweaked it yesterday. Obviously there is a concern," general manager Jerry Reese said. "But you see that in some young players sometimes. They're a little bit nervous, a little bit anxious and that happens to them."

The Giants have no idea when Beckham will return at full strength. They're hoping sooner rather than later, but a hamstring problem (as they've already seen) is something that can linger. The same hamstring that is bothering Beckham now is the one that gave him trouble in the spring.

Beckham was originally hurt in Organized Team Activities (OTAs). He came back to do a little during minicamp and now re-injured the hamstring early in training camp.

It has coach Tom Coughlin worried as well.

"Now, who knows how long," Coughlin said on Wednesday. "Those hamstrings, don't ask me. I have no idea. ... He missed today. He said it's sore. That is about all you can ask."

The Giants are looking for big things from Beckham. He was the 12th-overall pick in this year's draft. They were hoping his speed could stretch the field for an offense that struggled to make big plays last year.

Beckham was expected to, at the very least, compete for a starting job. He was working at the X-receiver spot in their offense, along with Jerrel Jernigan. If the hamstring continues to nag, it puts Beckham at a serious disadvantage.

Coughlin isn't a fan of putting players who can't practice into games. He's also traditionally brought rookies along slowly, although the idea was to have Beckham contribute immediately.

"This guy has that track speed and hopefully he can get back out there quickly," Reese said, "because we're expecting big things from him."
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...hamstring.html

vCash
    Shut him down for 2 weeks to a month til its 100%. I'd rather have him October-January than August-October. You don't want hamstrings lingering, you'll never get over it until the seasons over.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Hope Manningham is healthy. Love Jernigan, but he can't help much on the outside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Shut him down for 2 weeks to a month til its 100%. I'd rather have him October-January than August-October. You don't want hamstrings lingering, you'll never get over it until the seasons over.
    Ugh this is terrible news. He was just **** down for a month and couldn't make it through 1 practice. Anyone know if he has a history of soft tissue injuries?

vCash
    Hopefully he's not another Aaron Ross

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

vCash
    You cannot sit a rookie wr down for a month and expect any contribution.

vCash
    You can when he's the most pro ready WR in the draft. Regardless, you have to sit him until its fully healed or it will linger all year. Its not worth the risk. Rather gamble on his understanding and timing than his health. Easily. Sit him til its healed. Its not a play through pain injury, it will only get worse.

vCash
    If he's on the bench for a month, he gets placed on IR. The theme says it all "burn the boats". There is no 2015 for Coughlin or Manning if the Giants don't make the playoffs in 2014. No rookie WR misses most of camp and provides anything. This isn't a "take your sweet time year".

vCash
    I picked an arbitrary amount of time, but it should be however long it takes to get it to 100%. If he doesn't contribute as a starter on offense he'd still be a weapon and a returner. I don't really know what you're trying to say but it is beyond ******** to suggest that he should play through a hamstring injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    If he's on the bench for a month, he gets placed on IR. The theme says it all "burn the boats". There is no 2015 for Coughlin or Manning if the Giants don't make the playoffs in 2014. No rookie WR misses most of camp and provides anything. This isn't a "take your sweet time year".
    We have a good amount of WR depth. Especially if they really are using Holliday on offense and Manningham is healthy. Better to take it slow with Beckham. Risk a major injury and he'll be done for the year.

In the past I'd say he couldn't hop in late in the season and contribute, but its not an over-compolicated Gilbride system and he'd still be at workouts and learning, so I don't think its a big deal. Not compared to ruining his rookie year with a more serious injury.

Prince missed his rookie season until November and contributed right through to the Super Bowl. Different situation, but just as hard of a position to start in the NFL (if not harder) as WR. So long as he's a smart NFL-ready player, which seems to be the Giants theme in this year's draft, I think he'd have no problem joining later.

vCash
    Don't want to see him injur himself more but missing 1 month in a new offense isn't going amount to anything later in the year. He needs to get back. Like any season, it's not where you begin it's where you end. Unlike other years however, the tough times are going to be met with a much higher sense of urgency. You're going to hear about Eli's contract and the future of the Giants often. With all these additions, it's playoffs or bust. We will not be posting about Coughlin and Eli at this time next season if they don't make the playoffs. I doubt this team breaks camp with any rookie not IR'd or cut if he misses camp. Not this year IMO.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 07-24-2014 at 01:26 PM.

vCash
    I get your logic but if they really want that roster spot while they bring him along theres PUP, but he's also a very refined and crafty route runner who immediately threatens the NFL without any experience in this offense just by lining up as an outside WR, especially on tagged run plays. Off coverage get him the ball, press coverage run a vertical stop. Packers do it all the time. OBJ fits that perfectly with his twitchy explosiveness for the smoke screens and his ball skills and speed on vertical stops. I think he's too good and he'll contribute regardless. Either way, I'd rather him not contribute then try to push through a hammy, because its inevitable you wont play your best, gets in your head, and usually gets worse to the point you physically get shut down and just start from where you should have in the first place and let it heal. If no OBJ, the Jernigan, Manningham, and the plethora of TEs we have will need to step up.

vCash
    OBJ is very important in this offense, so you have to be cautious!

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    Don't want to see him injur himself more but missing 1 month in a new offense isn't going amount to anything later in the year.
    I don't know about that. He'd still be around absorbing the system Then when healthy actively practicing. I have no reason to believe he couldn't come out and contribute.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I don't know about that. He'd still be around absorbing the system Then when healthy actively practicing. I have no reason to believe he couldn't come out and contribute.
    All practice he has been glued to the coaches. Mental reps.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast