Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Hardaway Could Be Good Trade Chip for Knicks!!

http://online.wsj.com/articles/tim-h...=CHRIS+HERRING

With Carmelo Anthony locked up for the next few years, and several other contributors on their way to New York via a recent trade with Dallas, it may appear that the Knicks' roster is settled for the coming 2014-15 season. But the team still has a long way to go.

"We have to do some roster management there," team president Phil Jackson acknowledged earlier this month, saying the team had too many guards and not enough frontcourt depth.

"Roster management" could very well mean making another trade to balance out the team. But if that's the case, who and what should the Knicks be looking to deal?

The answer to that question changes depending on whom you ask. But there is reason to believe that unloading one guard in particular, Tim Hardaway Jr., makes the most sense, even if he is the young player the Knicks are perhaps most reluctant to give up.

Yes, Hardaway showed impressive flashes during his rookie season, and at times looked like the team's second-best scorer. His ability to get out in transition and finish at the rim is special for a player of his experience level, and he appears to be the kind of shooter who can excel alongside Anthony because of the spacing he'll provide his teammates.

In fact, multiple reports have labeled Hardaway as being nearly "untouchable" as a potential trade chip, but that would be a dubious stance given the numerous flaws he showed in his rookie season.

If the Knicks really intend to build a two-way roster, with better defense, fewer holes and more versatility, they would be wise to explore what they can get in return for Hardaway.

This isn't to say that Hardaway has less talent or upside than other Knicks reportedly on the trading block. If anything, he probably has the highest trade value of anyone outside of Anthony, thanks entirely to his scoring ability.

There is a chance the Knicks could make good use of that ability with their new triangle system. But even if the 22-year-old improves his defense and rebounding, he may still be too deficient to make a tangible difference outside of scoring points.

Despite his prototypical height and bounding athleticism, Hardaway grabbed just 3.8% of available rebounds while on the court last season, the second-lowest percentage in NBA history among guards standing 6-foot-6 or taller, according to Basketball-Reference. And his struggles on defense were arguably the worst on the team last season, though they seem to stem more from his slender frame than from his effort.

While the triangle system could conceivably improve Hardaway's passing—his 5.8% assist percentage also ranked near the bottom of the NBA history books among guards—his lack of distribution isn't ideal for team that employs Anthony as its primary scorer.

Consider that Anthony shot 47% overall and a blistering 45% from three-point range last season on possessions where the Knicks passed the ball four times or more, according to SportVU player-tracking technology. This may help to explain why Anthony suffered a bigger shooting-percentage drop-off with Hardaway on the floor than with any other teammate, according to NBA.com.

Most Knicks fans—who get to see draft picks develop before their eyes about as often as they see comets soar across the sky—would oppose trading Hardaway. He's shown a good work ethic, and plays with the kind of energy that the Madison Square Garden crowd always appreciates. Without question, both the front office and many fans would prefer that Andrea Bargnani or Amar'e Stoudemire be dealt. Both are injury-prone and make enormous salaries.

But it would be somewhat foolish to jettison either player at the moment if it means giving up an additional asset, like Hardaway, to get the other team to participate in the trade, especially when New York could probably get a decent return by waiting until the February trade deadline.

If the Knicks opted to divorce themselves from J.R. Smith instead, it would surprise no one. And given how vital Iman Shumpert's defense is to a team that often behaves like a turnstile, the Knicks could decide it makes sense to move the 24-year-old now, before his contract is up and he becomes a restricted free agent next summer.

But if Jackson and the Knicks are finally looking to build a complete, two-way roster, rather than one that prioritizes offense over everything else, then exploring what they can get for Hardaway makes the most sense.

vCash
    Ha Ha your kidding right? Timmy Hardway Jr. ain't going nowhere! Why?

Tim is not ready to start and should come off the bench for Jr Smith who is at this point better than THJ and Shumpert. Knicks should keep all 3 though because they are ALL cheap right now.
    What 6th man of the year talent like Jr Smith can you get for 6 million per year? Shump and THJ are still on rookie contracts and Shump and Jr have the strength and size to play backup SF if needed. I really don't understand the logjam. Shumpert has the weakest offensive game among the 3 but is the strongest so let him backup Melo or even play a little PG against larger PGs like D.Will, Westbrook, MCW, Holiday. .. the ones that usually kill Calderón.
    Knicks are very deep right now and I just don't see why it's needed to trade anyone.
    Get to training camp and figure out rotations and learning the new system should be their only priority right now.

vCash
    Depends what we trade him for... I dont see his trade value being high right now. I would rather start him at SG and see if he can become a 14-16ppg player. If his d improves then he will be a very very good player.

vCash
    Instead of focusing on the SG spot, we should be focusing on the PF/C.

Our guards are perfect right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Depends what we trade him for... I dont see his trade value being high right now. I would rather start him at SG and see if he can become a 14-16ppg player. If his d improves then he will be a very very good player.
    I agree I don't want to trade away our young talent unless it's for a significant upgrade

vCash
    Yea, and he could also be a good player for us so I'd rather keep him!

We have a plethora of youth right now, for the first time in God knows how long, and all we want to do is give it away for peanuts?!

JETS KNICKS YANKEES

vCash
    its nice to have a couple assets for a change.. i hope we keep Timmy, he is showing the development I thought shump would eventually show.
    People fear what they don't understand, hate what they can't conquer
    Guess its just a theory of man became a monster, atop of the world
    Never fallin', I'm as real as they come from day one, forever ballin'
    C'mon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FYL_McVeezy View Post
    Yea, and he could also be a good player for us so I'd rather keep him!

We have a plethora of youth right now, for the first time in God knows how long, and all we want to do is give it away for peanuts?!
    Exactly. Part of his value is that he is cheap on his rookie deal and the team that has him will essentially control him for the next 6 seasons before he can become a full free agent.

vCash
    This article could be condensed into a tweet or two.

- Knicks should explore trading only chip - Hardaway. Some say they want to keep him.

Boring article that basically reports nothing.

vCash
    And I think I'll have a BLT for lunch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Costanza View Post
    This article could be condensed into a tweet or two.

- Knicks should explore trading only chip - Hardaway. Some say they want to keep him.

Boring article that basically reports nothing.
    True

vCash
    You can say what you want about the article, but the article does bring up some points about the supposedly well rounded offensive game of THJR:

"Despite his prototypical height and bounding athleticism, Hardaway grabbed just 3.8% of available rebounds while on the court last season, the second-lowest percentage in NBA history among guards standing 6-foot-6 or taller, according to Basketball-Reference"

"While the triangle system could conceivably improve Hardaway's passing—his 5.8% assist percentage also ranked near the bottom of the NBA history books among guards—his lack of distribution isn't ideal for team that employs Anthony as its primary scorer."

The kid has potential but lets not make him out to be what he is not!!

...And his D.........

"There is a chance the Knicks could make good use of that ability with their new triangle system. But even if the 22-year-old improves his defense and rebounding, he may still be too deficient to make a tangible difference outside of scoring points."

This is a very strong possibility ....and I personally want this team to start bringing in TWO WAY PLAYERS...and he may be able to help do that...SO yeah, if right trade comes along....a would absolutely make him available!!

vCash
    NO NO NO!!! can't trade this guy

vCash
    Ehh, I hope he doesn't hit the 2nd year Knick sophomore wall. We all saw brilliant seasons from Fyre, Fields, and Shumpert in their rookie year only to crash and burn the next season.

#KNICKS TAPED PLAYOFFS 2013

vCash
    Triangle needs shooters. THJr is a shooter. So let's trade him? We all get that his defense is suspect. He has put on a lot of muscle this summer. Let's see what he brings defensively under a new coach. I am in the camp that he is untouchable right now. You don't always have to sign great players from other teams. Once in a while a great player falls in your lap in the draft.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast