Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jacob deGrom: Rookie of the Year Watch

I was looking over the top NL Rookies so far this year and it looks like Jacob deGrom is in a 2 horse race with Billy Hamilton in the National League.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_rookie.jsp

It is definitely surprising anytime someone that isn't a top 100 prospect puts himself in this competition, but should people that have followed deGrom really be that surprised?

Before 2012 he only had 81 innings pitched in College as a converted Shortstop - which clearly explains his exploits at the plate so far - in his Senior Season, and only 6 innings for Kingsport before he blew out his elbow requiring Tommy John Surgery right after signing with the Mets in 2010. Once he got back on the field in 2012, he started to blow threw the farm system with a natural fastball in addition to continuing to learn how to be a pitcher.

It's funny how our best pitcher from the Mike Pelfrey era turned out to be unranked in Niese; the best from the original Mejia era turned out to be the unranked Gee; and the best from the new version of Generation K may turn out to be deGrom (don't let Matt Harvey hear that lol).

While deGrom is like Niese and Gee in that he came from relatively nowhere (to the everyday Mets fan), he has clearly set himself apart from them with his early dominance.

Considering his lack of experience, fast learning curve, and arm that has a lack of mileage on it, we may have one of the next great Met pitchers on our hands.

I'd like to keep going by making Mike Hampton comparisons at the plate, but lets stick to the pitching for now.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 07-23-2014 at 01:24 AM.

vCash
    Being a Top 100 prospect isn't the end-be-all. deGrom was in our Top 10-15 prospects in a very good system.

He just got overshadowed by some younger pitchers with more hype behind them. I'm just so happy he was able to showcase his talent at the major league level this season, and now he's become an anchor in our rotation.

As for rookie of the year, it's still too early to say. Right now, I still think Hamilton is the front-runner, but that can change.

vCash
    Oh yeah, and deGrom is a perfect example of why you can't just scout by the numbers.

vCash
    As of now, it looks like deGrom and Chris Owings will be battling it out for 2nd place. Hamilton deserves the award and he'll get it unless he completely falls off. The guy has played absurd defense, shown some solid pop, and he'll swipe over 60 bases.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Oh yeah, and deGrom is a perfect example of why you can't just scout by the numbers.
    Hey!
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    deGrom is a great example of great scouting. A guy who was a SS up until he became a pitcher in college, who ever scouting him and had the Meta draft him did a great job at seeing the potential there.

Very much like Bobby Parnell who was garbage in college, but because if his arm was drafted and both have become successful major leaguers.

vCash
    Seen him twice now, picked him up on 2 fantasy teams recently, he looks really good and looks like he belongs on the mound not all young pitcher's have that presence early. I was so pleased to get Wheeler out the division too.

vCash
    Being a Top 100 prospect isn't the end-be-all. deGrom was in our Top 10-15 prospects in a very good system.

He just got overshadowed by some younger pitchers with more hype behind them. I'm just so happy he was able to showcase his talent at the major league level this season, and now he's become an anchor in our rotation.

As for rookie of the year, it's still too early to say. Right now, I still think Hamilton is the front-runner, but that can change.
    No its not, however it is a great indicator on who will be successful and who won't.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I did not realize he was taught the change-up by Johan (deGrom was quoted in an NYT article after last night's game), another thing to thank Johan for.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    That Johan trade made not been what we all hoped for, but having him around am sure help many of the kids like Niese, Gee and not deGrom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    No its not, however it is a great indicator on who will be successful and who won't.
    well, the most talented players are often the most talented players.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    He's going to need more wins than Billy Hamilton has homers

I think thats a decent gauge for where both players are at on July 23rd
    The Michigan team bus was stuck outside Notre Dame stadium for hours after somebody painted a 20 yard line in the parking lot

vCash
    Don't be dissing Applied Mathematics! The late Leah Klein, my 9th grade math teacher, will whack you with her slide rule.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    deGrom has been fantastic... going 7 innings and a k/per also.. this is invaluable going forward.
    Last edited by FloridaMetFan; 07-23-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typo

vCash
    deGrom is quickly proving that he is NOT the guy the Mets should trade.

Does Jacob's success make THOR more available?
    'Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shi*

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast