Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Happy Trails Darwin: Cubs vs Padres (7/22-7/24)

The Chicago Cubs will host the Padres in a three-game series in their first appearance at Wrigley Field in the second half.

All games on WGN-AM 720

Tuesday: 7:05 p.m. on CSN+
    LH Eric Stults (3-11, 4.98 ERA) vs RH Kyle Hendricks (0-0, 6.00 ERA)

Wednesday: 7:05 p.m. on CSN
    RH Ian Kennedy (7-9, 3.62 ERA) vs LH Tsuyoshi Wada (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

Thursday: 7:05 p.m. on WGN
    RH Tyson Ross (7-10, 2.85 ERA) vs RH Edwin Jackson (5-10, 5.61 ERA)

Who’s hot:
    Anthony Rizzo went 2-for-13 as the Cubs (40-57) split four games in San Diego from May 22-25. His .218 batting average and .345 slugging percentage against the Padres are his lowest figures against any National League opponent since he joined the Cubs in 2012.

Rizzo is 8-for-24 with three homer during his six-game hitting streak, with the Cubs losing their last five. His homer in Sunday’s 3-2 loss against the Diamondbacks matched his season career-high from last season, 23 to tie Miami’s Giancarlo Stanton for the NL lead and earn NL Player of the Week honors. Rizzo has hit .312 average off southpaws and is 2-for-10 against Stults, but hit a two-run homer off him on May 22.

Outfielder Chris Coghlan is batting .412 (21-for-51) in July for the Cubs and has been a spark in the lead off spot in front of Arismendy Alcantara, who snapped a 0-for-11 slump Sunday.

Kennedy has allowed just six runs over his last four starts and All-Star Ross has allowed two runs or fewer in six straight starts. Yasmani Grandal has hit solo homers in back-to-back wins for the Padres.

Who’s not:
    Stults has lost eight of his last nine decisions and is 0-7 on the road this season with a 5.44 ERA in 10 road starts. He is also a career 0-3 at Wrigley. The Padres are last in the majors in batting average (.214) and runs (289).

Outfielder Nate Schierholtz is the worst batter in baseball at .199 and is currently in a 0-for-19 slump and third baseman Luis Valbuena is 3-for-26.
    Javylujah... Javylujah... Javylujah

vCash
    rip barney

vCash
    No Barney for CHI, no Headley for SD.

Sadly, Im going to the game on Thurs night and Jackson is pitching

ONE GOAL ACHIEVED!
    1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013

vCash
    Interesting lineup. Notice where Alcantara and Bonifacio are playing. With Baez playing 2b lately...I dont think it's hard to blame anyone into reading something into it.

Bonifacio, 2b
    Alcantara, CF
    Rizzo, 1b
    Castro, SS
    Ruggiano, RF
    Castillo, C
    Lake, LF
    Olt, 3b
    Hendricks, P
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Interesting lineup. Notice where Alcantara and Bonifacio are playing. With Baez playing 2b lately...I dont think it's hard to blame anyone into reading something into it.

Bonifacio, 2b
    Alcantara, CF
    Rizzo, 1b
    Castro, SS
    Ruggiano, RF
    Castillo, C
    Lake, LF
    Olt, 3b
    Hendricks, P
    What are we reading into it? Baez will play second when he makes the majors, but IMO it will not be this year. The extra year of control will keep him in the minors all of 2014.

vCash
    Dat sexy change, doe.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    What are we reading into it? Baez will play second when he makes the majors, but IMO it will not be this year. The extra year of control will keep him in the minors all of 2014.
    Hasn't kept Alcantara in the minors. And we all know about Baez's need for transitional time. Plus, he's been playing 2b recently, a position Alcantara could be playing right now, but the moment Bonifacio returned, he's back in CF (over Bonifacio, who's played there himself). You could read into it that Alcantara is playing CF to get prepared for Baez to take 2b at some point.

I do not think in any way it's a lock not to see Baez for the month of September. I'd put those odds clearly at 50/50 right now.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash

Happy Trails Darwin: Cubs vs Padres (7/22-7/24)

Dat sexy sinker tho

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Hasn't kept Alcantara in the minors. And we all know about Baez's need for transitional time. Plus, he's been playing 2b recently, a position Alcantara could be playing right now, but the moment Bonifacio returned, he's back in CF (over Bonifacio, who's played there himself). You could read into it that Alcantara is playing CF to get prepared for Baez to take 2b at some point.

I do not think in any way it's a lock not to see Baez for the month of September. I'd put those odds clearly at 50/50 right now.
    You might be right, it could be 50/50 But,I would bet against him coming up this year. And if he does come up for a short time this year I think it will cost him time next year. I understand he can be brought up, I just don't think it happens. And the difference between Alcantara and Baez is if Alcantara comes up and hits his ceiling he would be a very good ballplayer. If Baez reaches his ceiling he would be a superstar. Having to pay Baez a year early could cost the Cubs much more than having to sign Alcantara a year early.
    And I honestly feel letting Barney go doesn't change whatever plan Theo had for Baez. And Baez being ready had no bearing on the Cubs letting Barney go. Barney went because no one wanted him in a trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    You might be right, it could be 50/50 But,I would bet against him coming up this year. And if he does come up for a short time this year I think it will cost him time next year. I understand he can be brought up, I just don't think it happens. And the difference between Alcantara and Baez is if Alcantara comes up and hits his ceiling he would be a very good ballplayer. If Baez reaches his ceiling he would be a superstar. Having to pay Baez a year early could cost the Cubs much more than having to sign Alcantara a year early.
    And I honestly feel letting Barney go doesn't change whatever plan Theo had for Baez. And Baez being ready had no bearing on the Cubs letting Barney go. Barney went because no one wanted him in a trade.
    Barney had no change to it. I never said that he did.

There comes a time when you have to pay a little to speed up future returns. Javier Baez has a transitional period. If they want to make 2015 a true run at the playoffs, giving Baez a full month of September prior to 2014 might soak up a lot of that transitional period to where he goes from just...awful to something decent by the start. I like control too, but I wouldn't mind in the case of Baez to give him that transitional period in 2015 and worry about the contract in 6 years.

It all depends on really what the team is going to do.
    #WhyNot?

vCash
    Welcome back leadoff double for Boner
    Javylujah... Javylujah... Javylujah

vCash
    Nice ab from Mendy

Watch Out MLB

vCash
    Boner trade stock raised

vCash
    Starlin's walk rate is starting to creep up towards 7%, that's nice to see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Starlin's walk rate is starting to creep up towards 7%, that's nice to see.
    He doesn't swing at pitches out of the zone as much as he once did. He's actually above average at it. Between that and the improved power, don't be surprised if he walks at an average or above rate soon.

And then. He made them pancakes.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast