Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mark Davis talks to Jerry McDonald

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraider...is/#more-23435

Quite a good read.

Totally clarifies the Roger Saffold 'thing'

Q: The one blip in free agency is when the Rodger Saffold situation came down, and you were clear in that you advised against signing him because of a shoulder injury. Did Reggie make the call on that or did you make the call? Or was it your advice that swayed Reggie?

Mark Davis: My advice to Reggie _ Reggie had the final say on it _ but I was pretty strong in the fact that if it was me, I wouldnít do it. Reggie had the final say on it, but I would think I might have had a lot to do with his thought process. I donít know. Youíd have to ask him. I got a call in the morning from the trainer, and Rod Martin says Iíve got some bad news. And he said Rodger Saffold failed his physical. I said what do you mean he failed? He said in a report from St. Louis, he had a torn labrum. I had no ideal what a labrum was. He said itís a shoulder muscle. They took him and did some pictures of him. I asked what does that mean? He said he could play with it, have pain, and play with it, but at some point itís going to tear. We either let him play with it or we do the surgery now, fix it now, and he should be ready by training camp. I said what do you mean, should be ready? After last year, with DJ (Hayden) and the injuries and things like that and how things kept coming up, I got scared. Thereís a lot of money on the line for this season with him. So I talked with Reggie, and said, he failed his physical and youíve got to make that decision, but I wouldnít go ahead and do it. And he decided not to do it. Itís one of those things youíve got to make a decision on.
    Last edited by Ashman23; 07-22-2014 at 05:18 AM.

vCash
    Great read! Thanks Ashman!

vCash
    "No. I think when I said, `I know what I donít now is a very truthful statement. When I said that, I said Iíd hire people that know more than I know. A lot of people might have taken that to think I donít know anything about this. But Iíve been in this 50 years, and the Raiders have been my life for 50 years. I know a lot about football. But I hired somebody that knows football personnel and I put him in a position to give the Raiders a chance to grow. I think letting him do his job is a real important thing. Do I know more than I knew then? I canít say that I do. I suppose over the last few years Iíve learned a lot but at the same time Iíve been letting Reggie do the job."

What is this? A comedy routine?

"I donít know if youíre aware, but I was scouting for the Raiders back in the 80s. I was doing the Japan Bowl every year. Iíd go to Japan every year with the college all-stars. One year it was Bo Jacksonís group. Iíve been in scouting and all that stuff before."

Yeah, sure Mark.

"I had no ideal what a labrum was."

"I got scared."

"So I talked with Reggie, and said, he failed his physical and youíve got to make that decision, but I wouldnít go ahead and do it. And he decided not to do it. Itís one of those things youíve got to make a decision on."

"Reggie had the final say on it, but I would think I might have had a lot to do with his thought process."

Doesn't take a genius to read between these lines. Davis sounds like an entitled idiot hiding behind his GM.

"I would think that if anything I have the ability to veto something versus make him go ahead and do something. I havenít utilized that."

Sure Mark.

Less of a fan of this schmuck after reading this drivel. The sooner the team is out of his hands, the better.

-Stork

vCash
    ^once again, I'm glad the Saffold deal was axed, and if he had anything to do with it I applaud him! Do I think MD is a football genius...NO, but he's been around long enough to know when something doesn't make sense

vCash
    Clown show.

That whole Saffold thing was an abject disaster - I lost a lot of faith in the whole organization as that situation unfolded.

Reggie pulled it out of the fire, so to speak, but that was nonsense.

vCash
    Davis had no idea what a torn labrum was? Its only the same injury that sidelined his MVP QB for most of the 2003 season. I am not even in the business and know what that injury pertains to.

I also like the "its your call but I sign your pay checks and this is what I would do."

Those of you who are bashing McKenzie should take note, we are lucky he is willing to work for this dunce. If McKenzie doesn't succeed and is fired, it will get much worse.

I didn't realize H. Rod Martin was still the trainer, he has been with the club since the late 1970's

vCash
    proof positive that football isn't passed along in the gene's

Just sell baby!
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    Clown show.

That whole Saffold thing was an abject disaster - I lost a lot of faith in the whole organization as that situation unfolded.

Reggie pulled it out of the fire, so to speak, but that was nonsense.
    Makes that whole "I don't know what my gm looks for in a qb but I know what I look for" situation seem a little more likely.

Dude is clueless
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Davis had no idea what a torn labrum was? Its only the same injury that sidelined his MVP QB for most of the 2003 season. I am not even in the business and know what that injury pertains to.
    That part made me laugh. If this had been the first labrum injury in the last 50 years I might believe MD. But we all know that's not the case.

As long as Mark sticks to the mantra, "I hire people who know more than I do," he should be fine. But to insinuate that he has true football IQ just because he's been around the business and hung out with the players as the son of Al is insulting. Tread carefully, Mark. We don't expect much from an owner, but getting a new stadium deal IS something that all Raiders fans are expecting from you. Don't let us down.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

vCash
    I read this article on another site, and what you guys read and what I read, is entirely different. I think MD had every right to have a say in the Saffold deal. $42 million ain't chump change to give to a LT that needs shoulder surgery. I am a Reggie fan big time, but MD did the right thing here, imo.

He...MD...still seems really high in Reggie still. He said Reggie did a phenominal job this off season...

Now it's time for firm_09 to come in and set me straight....

vCash
    Thank God the apple fell far from the tree. The more he speaks the more hope I have for the future of our franchise.

Q: In terms of free agency, did you at any point this year talk to any prospective free agents, or did Reggie take care of all that?

Mark Davis: No. Reggie took care of all that.

Q: Never a point where the owner steps in and talks to a free agent . . .

Mark Davis: Itís all the G.M.

Exactly what I want to hear. Hands off and letting the people who were hired to do their jobs do them.

Q: The one blip in free agency is when the Rodger Saffold situation came down, and you were clear in that you advised against signing him because of a shoulder injury. Did Reggie make the call on that or did you make the call? Or was it your advice that swayed Reggie?

Mark Davis: ÖWe either let him play with it or we do the surgery now, fix it now, and he should be ready by training camp. I said what do you mean, should be ready? After last year, with DJ (Hayden) and the injuries and things like that and how things kept coming up, I got scared. Thereís a lot of money on the line for this season with himÖ

All you fans that are doing backflips over the free agent signings this year better realize we have what we have precisely because Mark stopped this idiot move. Half our money was about to be blown on this injured O-linemen. Mark keeps his mouth shut most of the time except this once. It was Reggie who was about to blow our money on this desperation move because he panicked after we lost Veldheer. Mark significantly improved our off season. You can now look forward to having some pretty solid veteran depth at more than few positions because of the money we saved by not signing Saffold.

Q: So you want to see progress. What would constitute progress in your mind with this team?

Mark Davis: You can feel progress. You can see it in games. Are we finishing games? Are we starting off games well and not finishing them? There were games last year where we didnít show up. The Kansas City game. One play four times? The same guy (Jamal Charles) scoring four touchdowns? Philadelphia, seven touchdown passes? It wasnít there. That canít happen anymore.

My favorite part of the interview. DA has been put on notice. It was clear to everyone but a few idiots that DA clearly lost the locker room on a few games. Blowout defeats and no effort. It was evident. Plain and simple. Itís time to put up or shut up. Youíve got your coaches, you got your free agents, you say youíre a head coach. Time for results or you're kicking rocks.
    Mark Davis isnít perfect but heís being patient, heís demanding results, and heís not mincing words. With that kind of attitude running our Raiders we can look forward to a bright future.

vCash
    I still defend DA and that he didn't lose the locker room.

It's opinionated either way. You cannot prove he lost it and I cannot prove he didn't.

There are games where we laid down. That's on the entire team, not just the head coach.

If the locker room gave up on him, I believe we would've heard a helluva lot more grumbling from the players.

Players these days have little reason to be loyal to a coach, especially on a bad team.

I don't remember anything coming out from the players saying they weren't happy with DA. Maybe I missed something.

I will still contend that he had a ****** roster, with no talent, and limited resources to obtain talent.

Reggie brought in some talent and now we just need to see improvement.

My expectations are tempered and I do not feel it is playoffs or fire him.

I believe he is young, intelligent , and has a massive upside.

With talent he will shine, but we are not a "talented" team quite yet.

Unless these young guys go ham this year and the old guys find a spare tank.. We stay a year away from playoffs, two years from consistency.

vCash
    The theme that emerges from MD's words lately is this is the make or break year. All the eggs are in the basket for all the marbles.

From what I've seen, we have the veteran talent now to do that- win now.

BUT, the whole thing may yet falter.

I'm optimistic and say the former, but we shall see.

I will say I agree, this year is a make or break for many Raiders.

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    Mark Davis has had everything handed to him. I'm sure he still doesn't understand 'the value of a dollar'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash

Mark Davis talks to Jerry McDonald

It's not a make or break year. It's the first year in Mark's regime where the club isn't enduring catastrophic conditions which have precluded them from competing with the rest of the league on anything close to resembling a level playing field. And as such, this is the first year where the GM and HC can be evaluated fairly...ie, no excuses.

-Stork

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast