Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Colby Lewis is upset that Colby Rasmus bunted around the shift

In the eyes of Colby Lewis, Blue Jays outfielder Colby Rasmus sure could use a lesson in baseball etiquette.

Lewis, the Rangers' starting pitcher, exchanged words with Rasmus during the fifth inning of Texas' 4-1 loss Saturday. The right-hander was irked when Rasmus laid down a two-out bunt single with the Blue Jays up 2-0 and the Rangers playing the shift.

"I told [Rasmus] I didn't appreciate it," Lewis said, according to MLB.com. "You're up by two runs with two outs and you lay down a bunt. I don't think that's the way the game should be played."

Lewis, who fell to 6-7 with the loss, felt Rasmus' bunt was a selfish act.

"I felt like you have a situation where there is two outs, you're up two runs, you have gotten a hit earlier in the game off me, we are playing the shift, and he laid down a bunt basically simply for average," Lewis said.

On top of the bunt, Lewis said the fact that Rasmus didn't try to steal second base further proved he was just concerned about upping his average.

"[Rasmus] didn't steal within the first two pitches to put himself in scoring position," Lewis said. "That tells me he is solely looking out for himself, and looking out for batting average. And I didn't appreciate it."

After the game, Rasmus said he was trying to help his team and did not understand why Lewis took offense.

"I'm just trying to help my team and he didn't like it -- so sorry about it," Rasmus said, according to MLB.com. "I'm not here to try to please the other side, I'm here to help my team, and I had an opportunity where I could, and I took advantage of it."

Rasmus went 2-for-4 on the day. He is hitting .223 this season.
    http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/...by-rasmus-bunt

There are two outs. Nobody on the left side of the field. Why shouldn't he try and lay down a bunt where nobody's at to try and start a rally? It is the fifth inning and they're only up two runs after all.

Someone needs to not be so sensitive.

vCash
    **** Colby. What a little *****.

vCash
    Reads like an Onion article

vCash
    He gets mad that he doesnt try and steal when Rasmus has stolen 4 bases in 364 games in TO.

He's a moron.

vCash
    Maybe lewis should be mad at his manager for shifting.

vCash
    Colby Lewis is a baby back *****. The purpose of baseball is to get on base, and with only a two run lead, it was a smart play by Rasmus.

vCash
    he should be mad that he's a terrible pitcher, an that he has a terrible attitude. if i'm rasmus i'm bunting every time if im in that situation

vCash
    I see no reason to disparage Lewis, but I do not understand the thinking that a team shouldn't use strategy (a bunt) to offset a strategy (the shift).
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    Seriously pathetic.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Unreal

Of course he should be bunting.....if it helps him get on base, the active goal of all batters.

You don't want him bunting to get on, don't give him the ****ing bunt.

vCash
    I don't get it... not bunting when there's a shift on, is that a thing?

vCash
    I just saw the replay and that he actually had to field the bunt. Clearly something he doesn't have to do often. What a *****.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Lewis went on to basically say because Colby Rasmus didn't try to steal on the next two pitches that he didn't care about scoring, but rather just cared about improving his batting average

Colby Lewis is a ****ing idiot

vCash
    And playing the shift on pull hitters nearly every at bat isn't cheap?

vCash
    apparently.. its impossible to score from 1st with 2 outs

but seriously, I think baseball players are stupid for not bunting everytime there is a shift against them. Bunt them to death until they stop shifting. Win win

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast