Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Klay Thompson looking for a max extension

The Thompson debate doesn't stop with the defensive element, of course. On the financial front, landing Love would eventually require giving him a max contract that would likely start at approximately $19 million annually (he has indicated he'll opt out of his current deal and become a free agent next summer).

Meanwhile, Thompson's agent, Bill Duffy, has been seeking a max deal in extension talks with the Warriors as well. And while Golden State would surely prefer that the stance eventually softens and leads to a more palatable deal, the fact that he is younger means a max for Thompson would start at $15.7 million and still allow for more flexibility in the Warriors' future than a Love deal.

A max extension for Thompson, on top of re-signing Love at max should they trade David Lee for him, could push their salaries into the $80 million-plus range, even after sending Lee's $15 million salary out in the deal. That could complicate matters dramatically, depending on the position of Warriors ownership toward the luxury tax.

Thompson is an elite shooter and projects as an above-average defender in time. If Gordon Hayward is worth the max, it's pretty easy to make the argument Thompson is. But Hayward is more versatile and can create more off the dribble. Thompson never really took that step last season and there's concern over making a major investment in a player that can't produce on his own with the ball.

But either way, if the Warriors get Love and keep Thompson, they're looking at a major tax bill unless they move someone like Andre Iguodala or Andrew Bogut.

Get paid kid!

vCash
    I always thought that max deals should be reserved for elite players... guys who are a fixture at the all star game. Like the top 10-15 players in the league.

LOl and now a guy with a below average PER , and a 3rd option on a good team is asking for a max.....maybe if he had been to a couple all star games and been on a few all nba teams.... but if he wants the max, might as well package him in a trade for a top 10 player
    A role model if I ever knew one

vCash
    It's the way the market is to be fair. Like the quote said, if Hayward can get a max why can't Klay? What about Bledsoe? He's looking for the max.

It's unfortunate but it's the way it is.

Also worth mentioning your assessment of Love being a top 10 player is completely subjective.

And Klay on a max is a lot cheaper than Love on the max, got to be weary of that.

Then you have to consider chemistry, Steph didn't want Jackson to go and is still a little sour about it, he's grown close with Klay and he doesn't want him traded, now we're going to trade him? Exactly what will he do in free agency if we trade Klay, pissing him off further and then don't win?

And the best fit for the roster, what if Barnes doesn't improve, or Iguodala stays as a 9ppg guy, who else scores on the starting 5? Bogut?

...And there's Loves injury history, for a guy so obsessed with injuries I find it interesting you keep omitting this fact. Favoritism?

Many questions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
    It's the way the market is to be fair. Like the quote said, if Hayward can get a max why can't Klay? What about Bledsoe? He's looking for the max.

Also worth mentioning your assessment of Love being a top 10 player is completely subjective.

And Klay on a max is a lot cheaper than Love on the max, got to be weary of that.

Then you have to consider chemistry, Steph didn't want Jackson to go and is still a little sour about it, he's grown close with Klay and he doesn't want him traded, now we're going to trade him? Exactly what will he do in free agency if we trade Klay, pissing him off further and then don't win?

And the best fit for the roster, what if Barnes doesn't improve, or Iguodala stays as a 9ppg guy, who else scores on the starting 5? Bogut?

...And there's Loves injury history, for a guy so obsessed with injuries I find it interesting you keep omitting this fact. Favoritism?

Many questions.
    well I just figure, we gave it a chance with klay- it was a first round exit, maybe if we add love to the roster next year.. we will go farhter. Its not like wed be breaking up a dynasty or a team that was a lock for the nba finals for the next 5 yrs. Not really favortism- just trying something different than what got us knocked out in the first round.

vCash
    Like I said about Panda in the Gigantes forum: Pay the man.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    We should just give him the entire team's salary. He deserves it.
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    1. "Klay Thompson looking for a max extension" ... I would wonder about his competitive nature if he wasn't looking for a max deal.

2. "thought that max deals should be reserved for ... the top 10-15 players in the league" ... that was true before max contracts existed, but as soon as the max deal become part of the CBA the top 10 to 15 guys couldn't get what they were "worth" anymore they get the max deal, but the next 10 percent of the players get the max deal too which is where they would have been in the pre-max deal years. Do you think that if there was no max that LeBron would be getting just $20M? It's not that the max has pulled a bunch of players up in pay, it's that it's holding down the top guys.

vCash
    good point

vCash
    Gordon Hayward is clearly a max contract guy.

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
    "From the stomach at birth, till I'm under the earth."

#DUBSUP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MackShock View Post
    Gordon Hayward is clearly a max contract guy.
    ehhhh- for crying out loud, hes a role player on any decent team....

just cuz the bobcats waste a max contract on him- LOl they also waste a number 3 pick on adam morrison

vCash
    Joe Smith?

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

#DUBSUP

vCash
    Bobcats didn't waste anything on Hayward ... the Jazz matched.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MackShock View Post
    Joe Smith?
    joe smith was a lot better than adam morrison but you are right- they shoulda taken mcdise or garnett

vCash
    Well Joe Smith was number one. Morrison was third. Not sure McDyess was THAT much better. He was more injury prone than Bogut. But those couple seasons with Denver were good.

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

#DUBSUP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post

Many questions.
    Very good points especially on upsetting Steph even more. Not a good thing to treat your franchise player after what they did to his beloved coach. The Cavs would never do that to Lebron otherwise he will take his talents somewhere else.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast