Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Hendricks Officially Up

PHOENIX -- Kyle Hendricks, the Cubs' Minor League pitcher of the year last season, will be slotted into the fourth spot in the rotation, starting Tuesday as the team tries to fill the vacancies created by the July 4 trade of Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel.

Hendricks made his Major League debut July 10 against the Reds, and gave up four runs on five hits and three walks over six innings. He struck out seven and did not get a decision. The right-hander rejoined Triple-A Iowa after the game, but did not pitch again until he threw two innings on Wednesday for the Pacific Coast League in the Triple-A All-Star game.

"The thought is to allow him to slot into that spot and see how he does," manager Rick Renteria said of Hendricks, who was 10-5 with a 3.59 ERA in 17 starts at Iowa with 97 strikeouts and 23 walks over 102 2/3 innings.

Renteria wasn't ready to name the Cubs' fifth starter. They have an off-day Monday before opening a series against the Padres on Tuesday at Wrigley Field.

"We're close," Renteria said. "I don't want to say."

The options include right-hander Dallas Beeler and left-handers Tsuyoshi Wada and Chris Rusin. All three have pitched this year, with Rusin appearing in two games in relief.

Baez's move to second not a precursor for callup

play video
    CHC@SEA: Baez turns two, ends bases-loaded threat
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    PHOENIX -- Javier Baez made his second straight start at second base Friday for Triple-A Iowa, but Cubs manager Rick Renteria isn't ready to pencil him into the big league lineup just yet. The Cubs already have a logjam in the infield.

Arismendy Alcantara, promoted from Iowa when Darwin Barney went on paternity leave, made his fifth start Friday at second. Alcantara has a hit in every game except for his first, has already registered his first Major League home run and RBIs, and was batting an impressive .391 entering the series opener against the Diamondbacks.

Plus, Emilio Bonifacio is continuing his rehab from a strained oblique, and Renteria said the veteran is "very close" to returning.

When the Cubs make a roster move Tuesday to add starting pitcher Kyle Hendricks, someone has to go.

"Fortunately for me, we have three days and the off-day [Monday] before we have to make a decision as to how we'll proceed with the roster," Renteria said Friday. "I think we still have to have conversations. [Alcantara] has been playing very well. It's still day to day."

Baez, ranked No. 1 on MLB.com's list of top 20 Cubs prospects, started at shortstop until Thursday. The Cubs have talked since Spring Training about having the infielder move around, especially since they already have shortstop Starlin Castro.

"The move is to allow [Baez] to get over there [at second]," Renteria said. "It's good to see that he's moving around but from my perspective, it's not an anticipatory position for me to think I'm going to see him [on the big league team]."

The hardest part of the transition, Renteria said, will be handling the pivot at second base, but he added that because Baez is so athletic, he should be able to make the switch.

"He's a kid with a lot of pop," Renteria said of Baez, who hit a two-run homer for the World Team in the SiriusXM Futures Game on Sunday. "He's a kid who defensively has a little bit of excitement playing in the field. He's very aware of everything going on defensively. He has a good sense running the bases. There are a lot of qualities that we saw in a short period of time [in Spring Training] that lend themselves to seeing him becoming a very good Major League baseball player."

When will that be? Renteria couldn't say, and he didn't want to imply that Baez's move meant he was close to a promotion, or that it signaled the Cubs' shift to more of a youth movement.

"That'd be a far reach for me to make that statement now," Renteria said.

Cubs wary of pushing Arrieta too hard

play video
    ATL@CHC: Arrieta fans six over 7 2/3 innings
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    PHOENIX -- The Cubs decided to take a cautious approach with Jake Arrieta this spring and will continue that plan of attack to open the second half.

Arrieta (5-1, 1.95 ERA) will start on Sunday in the series finale against the Diamondbacks, rather than open the second half Friday. The right-hander had tightness in his shoulder this spring, and did not make his first start until May 3.

"In talking to [pitching coach Chris Bosio], he thought it was good to set Jake back a little bit," Cubs manager Rick Renteria said. "We know he's come off the injury early in the season. he's been throwing very, very well. He said, 'You know, let's push him back and give him a little rest.' I thought it was a good idea."

Arrieta was the only Cubs starter who did not reach 100 innings in the first half.

Cubs ink 35th-rounder to wrap up Draft signings

play video
    2014 Draft: MLB.com looks at the Cubs' picks
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    PHOENIX -- The Cubs have signed 35th-round selection Jordan Minch, a left-handed pitcher from Purdue, and completed the signing period by agreeing to terms with 27 of their 40 picks in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft.

Minch had reported to the Hyannis Harbor Hawks of the Cape Cod League, and had until Friday at 4 p.m. CT to sign with the Cubs.

Minch was a draft-eligible sophomore this summer. He made 28 starts in his first two seasons with Purdue, and set freshman records for strikeouts (63), innings pitched (81 1/3) and games started in 2013. In his final season with the Boilermakers, he turned in five consecutive quality starts over the first five weekends of Big Ten play.

The Cubs were able to sign their first 22 Draft picks.

Extra bases

The Cubs granted catcher Yorvit Torrealba his release. He had signed as a free agent on June 12 after playing 13 seasons with the Giants, Mariners, Rockies, Padres, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Brewers.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_mlb&c_id=mlb

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Glad to see he's getting the 4th spot. I'm eager to see what we have in him. He was really good after that first inning in his debut.

vCash
    That's awesome. He should have a relatively lengthy career with the Cubs. Now we just have to get robotic umps.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Don't send Mendy down plz

vCash
    Then dump Barney. Hes terrible. DFA or something. Move Contra to CF and let Boni play one of the corner OF spots. Maybe bring up Baez lol. Thatd be fun to see.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    If the plan is to compete next year, don't you have to bring Baez and Bryant up this season? I'd rather them get their feet wet at the MLB level while the team can afford to be patient with them. I mean, that extra year is nice, but what do they gain if they piss away 2015 waiting for those guys to adjust to the ML level?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog312 View Post
    If the plan is to compete next year, don't you have to bring Baez and Bryant up this season? I'd rather them get their feet wet at the MLB level while the team can afford to be patient with them. I mean, that extra year is nice, but what do they gain if they piss away 2015 waiting for those guys to adjust to the ML level?
    That's a valid point. Maybe they will see MLB time, but I doubt it. Both players still need to adjust at the AAA level before we even begin to imagine them playing at the ML level. Baez has done some encouraging things on the field as of late, but needs to continue to do just that.

vCash
    Bring up all the prospects time to sink or swim boys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL View Post
    Bring up all the prospects time to sink or swim boys
    Occasionally you say smart things and we agree.

This is one of those rare occasions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    Occasionally you say smart things and we agree.

This is one of those rare occasions.
    I'm awesome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog312 View Post
    This might be a reason why I'm honestly wondering if we aren't moving toward a Baez call-up by Aug. 1

vCash
    Just basing this off how the FO has operated so far, but I feel like they want to get the extra years of control and only sort of half-*** a 2015 playoff run. They won't go all out for 2015 by damning the control, but they'll do everything short of that and hope for the best. Then in 2016 they'll be fully committed.

Whether or not you agree with this process is another thing entirely. Personally I'd like to see Baez up, maybe Bryant, and I'm in favor of aggressive minor league promotions. But this is just how I've perceived the FO to be acting.

vCash
    I really don't think the Cubs are aiming at 2015 to compete...I think its more like 2016 that they are looking at.

I think their plan in 2015 is to not be horrible and start creeping towards .500

Take me back to the Forest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    I really don't think the Cubs are aiming at 2015 to compete...I think its more like 2016 that they are looking at.

I think their plan in 2015 is to not be horrible and start creeping towards .500
    Theo never wants to be .500. Ever. He's said as much, literally.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post

I actually doubt this. There's no reason not to try to compete in 2015. In fact, we can start to assume that by seeing Alcantara as early (and staying up), Hendricks staying up, and Hoyer saying to expect a busier offseason, that they're planning on 2015 as being an 80-85 win team (at least, in theory).

Plus you have to figure that Baez (who seems to be gearing up to be on pace to see time in September, recently) and Bryant will be likely ready by day 1 (whether they come up or not is a question, but they're ready). Add them to what we have and the lineup isn't too shabby. Realistically, add a few pieces in the offseason and we're a decent bet to challenge for a WC.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast