Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,281
    vCash
    1500

    Reasons why the Lakers will be better this season...

    Reason # 1, the 2 guards

    Obviously is Kobe. Bryant played just 6 games last year, and having him back is WAY better than what LA was tossing out on the floor last year. Even if he is limited he is an improvement. He has had lots of time to heal, and a reasonable return is not out of the question.

    Remember Brazemore started 15 games while the rest of the two guard load was shared by Meeks, Brooks, and Steve Blake.

    J. Clarkson also is looking good. Henry can provide some depth here as well.

    Kobe, Clarkson > Meeks, Brazemore, Brooks, Blake

    Net Gain

    Reason #2, the point guards

    Remember that Marshall was picked up of the scrap heap with the extended injuries to Nash and Farmar. He started over half of the season averaging just 8 points a game, shooting 40% from the floor and playing fair defense at best. Nash and Farmar did play some... They started 15 games between them.

    Its very reasonable that Jeremy Lin can outplay last years production.

    Should be a better scorer and is at least as good as Marshall on D. Perhaps Clarkson helps here as well, but last years production is not a high standard to beat.

    Lin>Marshall

    Net Gain

    Reason #3, the 4 spot

    Last year was a joke! Need I remind you of S. Williams? He averaged over 20 minutes a game until they realized that he SUCKED, but he still stole over 750 minutes of playing time. Ryan Kelly started a third of the season and averaged over 21 minutes per....both guys stunk it up. Kelly averaged a whopping 8 points and 3 rebounds. Hill played here some as well, but I am using him as a 5 for sake of comparison since he seems destined for that this coming season.

    Randle and Bozzer is a no brainer upgrade. Better rebounding, defending, scoring, and overall not pissing us off. It appears Kelly may be back to grab a couple minutes as a stretch 4, but lets hope its minimal.

    Randle, Boozer > Kelly, Williams, Hill

    Net Gain

    Reason #4, the 3 spot

    Last season this spot was covered by Wes Johnson, Swaggy P and X Henry. This year the same cast will be back and rotating here again. It would seem to be a wash.... but Kobe may very well
    play some minutes here and if he plays at a decent level could give this seasons rotation an edge.

    Johnson, Swaggy, Henry with some Kobe > Johnson, Swaggy, Henry with no Kobe

    Net Gain

    Reason #5, the spot

    On the surface this would have to be a net loss. Gasol being gone is a loss. BUT if Hill can stay healthy, he actually put up better numbers then Gasol. He had a better rebound %, PER, higher win shares, better FG %. Plus this guy fights and hustles. There may not be as much of a drop off as some may think.

    Plus Sacre played over 1000 minutes last season. He is a third center in this league nothing more. He will be back this coming season so he input is a net wash, but adding Ed Davis could be a nice step? His stats actually project well based on his 15 minutes a game last season, but no matter how hard I try, this position takes a hit.

    Gasol, Sacre, Kaman > Hill, Davis, Sacre

    Net Loss

    I can reasonably see an upgrade of some degree at 4 of the 5 positions. Not a ton, but better...

    OK, beat this up if you want..... but I see some reason to believe for a better season. With some solid health this team can be much improved. They still have flexibility next season. The Lakers need to fight to finish around .500 to show potential free agents that they are not far off, with a stud addition. Who wants to go to a team finishing at the bottom? The Lakers proved this summer then just cap space is not enough if the belief is that the roster sucks. They need to compete well, and be in the mix... to show some promise.

    Here is to some optimism...
    Last edited by DC Laker; 07-19-2014 at 01:29 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    8,266
    vCash
    1500
    #FreePalestine

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    8,266
    vCash
    1500
    no but really have faith in my boy R.Kelly, nah mean.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    28,953
    vCash
    1500
    Our success depends on how good/healthy Kobe is. If he's at 100% and plays like 75 games, we might get a 7th-8th seed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,743
    vCash
    1500
    This team is going to struggle to maintain a winning record. Playoffs will be difficult and more likely involve other teams breaking down than the Lakers surging.

    I want to believe but I can't. I hope for a top 5 pick and we draft someone nice.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,309
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post
    Our success depends on how good/healthy Kobe is. If he's at 100% and plays like 75 games, we might get a 7th-8th seed.
    Not sure about that. Even with a healthy Kobe, this team plays no defense.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    733
    vCash
    1500
    I agree this team should be better. I disagree with some of your reasoning. And, you missed a couple of things.

    I'm certain there are some - many, in fact - who will disagree, but Clarkson is going to be a pg most of the time. This strenghthens the 1 position even more. And, of course, a healthy Kobe will automatically make the 2 spot better.

    That said, you want to limit Kobe's minutes and exposure to harm. I don't know that I or the new coach will want him playing 3 that much. I call the 3 spot a wash.

    The biggest problem I have with your analysis is that you are considering all positions equal. I do not. I consider the center position to be of greater import than most others. We are seriously deficient at the 5.

    Finally, whoever the coach is, it won't be MDA. That is a serious plus because his style, I believe, physically broke a number of players last year. He was also clueless defensively. Well, I could have just stopped at clueless.

    And, of course, the biggest questions are: Will they mesh as a team? Will they "buy into" the coach's philosophy and become true believers, confident in themselves individually and believing in one another? If so, they'll be a lot better than if they don't.

    That "chemistry" thing will play a significant role in deciding if this team is better than last years, and by how much. The coach and his philosophy, his gravitas and player maturity are all going to play a role.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,594
    vCash
    1500

    Reasons why the Lakers will be better this season...

    This year is going to suck. I just want 2016 to be here already :/
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    jordan is 2nd or 3rd when talking career but both magic and lebron are better all around players.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,281
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPurpleGold View Post
    I agree this team should be better. I disagree with some of your reasoning. And, you missed a couple of things.

    I'm certain there are some - many, in fact - who will disagree, but Clarkson is going to be a pg most of the time. This strenghthens the 1 position even more. And, of course, a healthy Kobe will automatically make the 2 spot better.

    That said, you want to limit Kobe's minutes and exposure to harm. I don't know that I or the new coach will want him playing 3 that much. I call the 3 spot a wash.

    The biggest problem I have with your analysis is that you are considering all positions equal. I do not. I consider the center position to be of greater import than most others. We are seriously deficient at the 5.

    Finally, whoever the coach is, it won't be MDA. That is a serious plus because his style, I believe, physically broke a number of players last year. He was also clueless defensively. Well, I could have just stopped at clueless.

    And, of course, the biggest questions are: Will they mesh as a team? Will they "buy into" the coach's philosophy and become true believers, confident in themselves individually and believing in one another? If so, they'll be a lot better than if they don't.

    That "chemistry" thing will play a significant role in deciding if this team is better than last years, and by how much. The coach and his philosophy, his gravitas and player maturity are all going to play a role.
    Solid additional points about coaching and chemistry.

    I am one who keeps looking for the positive in situations and I see a path to a much better season then last year. Some forget the games with just 8 healthy bodies and the MESS that was last season. I am looking forward to a better team even if they are not quite playoff ready again.... yet. I will be shocked if they are not "near" .500

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    15,491
    vCash
    1500
    We'll be better than our previous 27 wins, no doubt about that, it remains to be seen how much better we will be.

    In the west you hav to win 45-50 games to get into the playoffs, that is a HUGE improvement to ask for.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    28,953
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthornton7 View Post
    Not sure about that. Even with a healthy Kobe, this team plays no defense.
    Very true. If Byron instills a solid team defense, I'd be happy. I loved it when we were a great defensive team.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    475
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah but you fail to mention most teams out west are gonna be better as well.

    Let's just take a look at our division

    Clipps
    Warriors
    Suns

    I mean they will all be better and all have a young core that is improving year to year. All teams seem to have kept that core intact.

    So i mean we're competing with the kings for last place and the kings aren't just gonna be the ****** kings of old. They actually have more overall talent than us.

    So i mean, i don't see much improvement at all this season outside kobe reverting back to 2007-2011 form, which is highly unlikely.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    733
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozeman View Post
    Yeah but you fail to mention most teams out west are gonna be better as well.

    Let's just take a look at our division

    Clipps
    Warriors
    Suns

    I mean they will all be better and all have a young core that is improving year to year. All teams seem to have kept that core intact.

    So i mean we're competing with the kings for last place and the kings aren't just gonna be the ****** kings of old. They actually have more overall talent than us.

    So i mean, i don't see much improvement at all this season outside kobe reverting back to 2007-2011 form, which is highly unlikely.
    Everyone knows the other teams in the West will be better. That's not the point.

    I'm the first to say: "Be realistic."

    Are we making it to the playoffs? Probably not.

    Am I going to whine and cry and throw a tantrum about it? No.

    We are rebuilding. It doesn't happen fast. It happens really slowly, children.

    Baby steps.

    And for those pathetic little a-holes that stomp and yell, "We're the Lakers! We don't do things this way."

    Get over it. You do now.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shambala
    Posts
    43,970
    vCash
    1500
    MIke Dantoni is gone.
    We should be better.

    Then add that kobe is supposed to play.


    And Hill is going to get exposed now that he will be the full time starter.


    34 wins, no playoffs and our pick going to suns.

    fantastic

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    19,242
    vCash
    1500

    Reasons why the Lakers will be better this season...

    I agree, if we just can get more help at C I would be happy. I believe J Oneal is available, he played good last year.

    "Killer Instinct"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •