Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    14,095
    vCash
    1500

    Since Don Baylor's return

    The Angels are
    1st in AVG
    1st in OBS
    1st in SLG
    and have gone 15-4

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Orange
    Posts
    590
    vCash
    500
    Now if only he can convince Scioscia to put down some bunts with runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out. Then we'd be in business.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    301
    vCash
    1500
    Nah, we have decent power on this team. I'd rather he stopped running on full counts with less than two outs. We've been burned by a lot of SO/throw-out double plays. Why? we strike out too much as a team.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    408
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan1984 View Post
    Now if only he can convince Scioscia to put down some bunts with runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out. Then we'd be in business.
    Love the small ball when appropriate. I wish we could see that type of run manufacturing more often, and I'm glad we saw that last night.


    Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they consistently are.

    -Stork

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    408
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JetRocketAngel View Post
    Nah, we have decent power on this team. I'd rather he stopped running on full counts with less than two outs. We've been burned by a lot of SO/throw-out double plays. Why? we strike out too much as a team.
    Semi-related: I sleep easier at night knowing a runner on second can score when a ball is hit to right field against Oakland since their trade with the Red Sox trade :P


    Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they consistently are.

    -Stork

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    301
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderNation24 View Post
    Love the small ball when appropriate. I wish we could see that type of run manufacturing more often, and I'm glad we saw that last night.
    But it didn't work last night! We didn't score in the 9th.

    I totally agreed with Freese bunting aybar over, but bunting again has the drawback that they will intentionally load the bases and now there's an easy force play at the plate.

    What if instead you did a pullback Fake bunt/swung away? Now you are hitting against an infield that's charging the plate and moving to cover second. Keep the defense guessing. (Oh and you may even get a walk or a hit or a sac em over.) if you bunt you mostly limit yourself to a sac or an error).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    408
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JetRocketAngel View Post
    But it didn't work last night! We didn't score in the 9th.

    I totally agreed with Freese bunting aybar over, but bunting again has the drawback that they will intentionally load the bases and now there's an easy force play at the plate.

    What if instead you did a pullback Fake bunt/swung away? Now you are hitting against an infield that's charging the plate and moving to cover second. Keep the defense guessing. (Oh and you may even get a walk or a hit or a sac em over.) if you bunt you mostly limit yourself to a sac or an error).
    True. However, we should really be seeing more of those attempts. For me it's looking at the bigger picture in that I like the approach of back-to-back bunts with Navarro. Just because it didn't work last night doesn't mean a second bunt was inappropriate/more of a risk than having Navarro swing away. Navarro bunting after Freese was just as good or bad of an idea as doing a fake bunt/swing. You make a good point in making the A's defense guessing, and I like that mentality. Personally, I liked that Navarro bunted. But I would have been fine with the approach of a fake bunt/swing away. It's all a gamble, especially with a force play at the plate. If a batter like Kendrick, for example, were at the plate after Freese in the situation, then I may not want to take the bat out of his hands because of having more faith that he'd have a better chance of getting a hit.


    Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they consistently are.

    -Stork

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •