Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Astros Fail To Sign Aiken, Nix, Marshall Will get #2 pick in next years draft

The Astros did not sign first-round pick Brady Aiken, fifth-rounder Jacob Nix or 21st-rounder Mac Marshall, reports MLB.com’s Jim Callis (on Twitter). Aiken and Nix are both advised by Casey Close.

The Astros will receive the No. 2 pick in next year’s draft, Callis adds, meaning that Houston did at least offer Aiken 40 percent of his slot value ($3,168,840), which Aiken did not accept. Aiken becomes just the third No. 1 overall pick ever to not sign, Callis adds (Twitter link).

Obviously, the news represents a disappointing turn of events for both Houston and Aiken. The Astros did increase their offer, ultimately going to the $5MM range, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (Twitter link). “We tried to engaged Casey Close three times today,” Astros GM Jeff Luhnow tells Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle (via Twitter), but “there was no interest.”
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-marshall.html

vCash
    It's possible the Astros will have the #1 and #2 picks in next year's draft...jeez.

vCash
    Hate the rule. They failed. Should get the 6th pick and no higher. ********.
    Last edited by SFrush90; 07-18-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Please don't dodge the filter
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Don't understand why Aiken would turn down 5M if that was true its only a Mil difference maybe pride.

Just about that action boss.

vCash
    Now Houston gets rewarded for manipulating the poor system. They should be punished, not rewarded.

I'd hate to be the team to have been drafting 10th. They're gonna get screwed if they sign a FA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Now Houston gets rewarded for manipulating the poor system. They should be punished, not rewarded.

I'd hate to be the team to have been drafting 10th. They're gonna get screwed if they sign a FA.
    I don't think its fair at all to say the Astros manipulated the system here...

Although I do agree that sucks for the 10th team. They really shouldn't count picks carried over from the previous year like that. The bottom 10 teams picks should be protected.

vCash
    I believe Aiken now becomes a FA. He's gonna make a ton of money with no monetary restrictions in terms of slot bonuses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIlladelph16 View Post
    I don't think its fair at all to say the Astros manipulated the system here...

Although I do agree that sucks for the 10th team. They really shouldn't count picks carried over from the previous year like that. The bottom 10 teams picks should be protected.
    I agree. This is the second time in three years that the tenth worst team fell to an unprotected spot. Houston just didn't want to sign him after picking him. He's healthy. He was cleared by two different doctors. He threw in the upper 90's for Houston. They changed their mind. They offered the exact minimum to retain next years pick. They need to raise that 40% minimum to about 80% to avoid this kind of crap.

vCash
    I agree. This is the second time in three years that the tenth worst team fell to an unprotected spot. Houston just didn't want to sign him after picking him. He's healthy. He was cleared by two different doctors. He threw in the upper 90's for Houston. They changed their mind. They offered the exact minimum to retain next years pick. They need to raise that 40% minimum to about 80% to avoid this kind of crap.
    There seems to be some legitimate concern for Aiken in the future with his UCL. I don't have the expertise to truly know nor have I seen the MRIs, but apparently the UCL is so small that it doesn't even show up on the scan. That's a serious concern and suggests he will need surgery on it.

I'm not sure if he becomes a FA now. There is precedent there with guys like Travis Lee in the past, but he may not attain that ruling. He'll likely have to go to Juco to stay eligible for next years draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I believe Aiken now becomes a FA. He's gonna make a ton of money with no monetary restrictions in terms of slot bonuses.
    If drafted players could become free agents by not signing, no top picks would sign because they would make millions more by becoming free agents.
    Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

vCash
    https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...58091699478530
    #astros made 3 offers friday, the 2nd w/30 mins to go, the 3rd, at $5M, w/5 mins. aiken side: no counters. he just said no
    Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    If drafted players could become free agents by not signing, no top picks would sign because they would make millions more by becoming free agents.
    Didn't Barret Loux have these same circumstances when he didn't sign with Arizona in 2010? He was the 6th overall pick that year and eventually was declared a FA before signing with the Rangers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Didn't Barret Loux have these same circumstances when he didn't sign with Arizona in 2010? He was the 6th overall pick that year and eventually was declared a FA before signing with the Rangers.
    What were the exact circumstances though?

The guy the Blue Jays drafted last year didn't sign with them and wasn't declared a FA, but I know some players have been granted FA. This will be interesting to follow for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIlladelph16 View Post
    What were the exact circumstances though?

The guy the Blue Jays drafted last year didn't sign with them and wasn't declared a FA, but I know some players have been granted FA. This will be interesting to follow for sure.
    Yeah I'm not sure if it has to do with college eligibility or not. Same with Mark Appel not signing with the Pirates in 2012 but he had his senior year at Stanford still left before the Astros took him #1 last year.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...r-construction

The signing deadline for draft picks is rapidly approaching and the Brady Aiken conundrum has yet to find resolution. Evan Drellich and Ken Rosenthal have been on top of the situation, reporting that while the Astros are uncomfortable with the findings of Aiken's MRI, Aiken's camp claims that he is asymptomatic and healthy. If Aiken cannot reach an agreement with the Astros, the possibility of a grievance filed on behalf of Aiken comes into play. A victory in said grievance would culminate in Aiken becoming a free agent, a potentially historical development. If Aiken were free to negotiate with all 30 teams, the issue of the valuation of an 18-year old pitcher in free agency would arise. Today, I'm going to take a stab at creating the paramount valuation for Brady Aiken should free agency be granted.
    I guess Aiken has to file and win a grievance in order to become a FA, otherwise he could potentially commit to any school he wanted to.

vCash
    Still amazes me how greedy these kids are. Haven't played a game, turns down $5 million. Gotta be kidding me.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast