Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Exclusive: Phil Jackson talks about return to Knicks and Madison Square Garden

From ELEVEN RINGS: The Soul of Success by Phil Jackson and Hugh Delehanty. Reprinted by arrangement with The Penguin Press, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC. Copyright 2013, 2014 by Phil Jackson.

There’s a part of me that has always longed to lead a simpler, more ascetic life. But I’ve had to balance that with the demands of constantly being in the public eye. When I retired from coaching, Jeanie urged me to stay up to date with what was happening in the basketball world — which I did — but my first inclination was to go inside and become more attuned to my “inner minister.” I fantasized about slowing down, living more mindfully, and dedicating myself primarily to service. I was happy being the chief cook and bottle washer at home and spending a good part of my time buying the groceries, making dinner, and taking care of the household. I taught meditation to some business executives and flirted with the idea of mentoring students at the Union Theological Center. As long as they didn’t call me “Reverend,” I thought, it would be OK.

Then Irving Azoff invited me to his birthday party.

Irving is a prominent music industry executive who manages The Eagles, Christina Aguilera, Steely Dan and other stars. He’s also a long-time Lakers fan, who I’d often seen at games sitting with The Eagles’ Glenn Frey along the baseline near our bench. Irving’s wife, Shelli, is famous for throwing a large “Just Us Girls” party at their home in the Holmby Hills section of Los Angeles. Not to be outdone, Irving decided to toss a similar bash for around 150 male friends to celebrate his birthday in early December. The guest list included several members of The Eagles, actor Larry David, CBS head Lester Moonves, and Jim Dolan, the executive chairman of The Madison Square Garden Company, which owns the New York Knicks. Irving gave me a heads up that Jim wanted to talk to me about his team.

There was a lot to talk about. A few months earlier Jim had replaced the Knicks’ general manager Glen Grunwald with former Madison Square Garden executive Steve Mills right before the start of training camp. The team had gotten off to a shaky start in October and things went from bad to worse when star center Tyson Chandler broke his leg in early November. I told Jim that he needed to be patient. “It’s only five or six weeks into the season,” I said. “Your team hasn’t had time to gel together yet.”

In my view, the Knicks needed to pick up the pace, move the ball more effectively, and play a tougher brand of basketball. Jim and I sat in Irving’s office discussing the plight of the Knicks for an hour or so and almost missed dinner before we decided to pick up our conversation again after the holidays.

Our next tete-à-tete was at Jerry’s Deli, a New York-style hangout in Marina del Rey, not far from my home. Jim, who had recently formed a joint venture called Azoff MSG Entertainment with Irving’s firm, was in town to discuss revamping the Lakers’ former home, The Forum, which was now part of the Madison Square Garden enterprise.

Jim asked me what I would do with the team if I came on board. “I’d have to get really involved if I was going to be part of the operation,” I said. “I’d need to know what was happening on a daily basis.”

“So what kind of role do you want?” said Jim.

“Well, I know I don’t want to be general manager.”

Irving was listening from a booth across the room.

“Make him the president,” he said to Jim. “He needs to be the president.”
    There's much more in the following link: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1871529

Very interesting read.
    Last edited by Weezy; 07-18-2014 at 10:20 AM.

vCash
    New York is a media pressure-cooker and the Knicks have been hurt frequently in the past by ill-conceived leaks to reporters. Nevertheless, I’m not a fan of putting tight restrictions on the media. Instead I prefer to build trust within the group so that everyone is committed to protecting the team’s most vital secrets. It’s a tricky dance sometimes. I’ve spent a lot of time during my first weeks in New York dispelling rumors about what moves I’m planning to make. Every time a bogus story surfaces in the media, my message to the staff is: Don’t worry. We’re not deviating from our long-range plan. The key is to trust each other. And if somebody violates that trust, then we’ll deal with it. You may be able to fool me once, but never twice.

You da man Weez! Thanks for posting. Everyone in this forum should take the time to read, you won't regret it.

I love that quote in particular. I love the fact that Phil has been open and honest about what he plans to do with the team, and he keeps us fans informed(he eluded to this at the Summer league interview).

I also think he gave this story to the Daily news, as an olive branch. MSG and the DN have clashed in the past, and Phil spoke about building a better relationship with the Media so they won't be looking to tear us down every chance they get.

For me personally, this is a dream come true. For the last couple of years, if you asked me how would you fix the Knicks, I would have responded by saying "Give complete control to PJax." I've even said that in a couple of posts before this season. I never in a million years thought that Dolan would have the balls to realize that he doesn't know **** about Basketball, and give a basketball mind full autonomy.

Irving Azoff, you're a Saint!

JETS KNICKS YANKEES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FYL_McVeezy View Post

You da man Weez! Thanks for posting. Everyone in this forum should take the time to read, you won't regret it.

I love that quote in particular. I love the fact that Phil has been open and honest about what he plans to do with the team, and he keeps us fans informed(he eluded to this at the Summer league interview).

I also think he gave this story to the Daily news, as an olive branch. MSG and the DN have clashed in the past, and Phil spoke about building a better relationship with the Media so they won't be looking to tear us down every chance they get.

For me personally, this is a dream come true. For the last couple of years, if you asked me how would you fix the Knicks, I would have responded by saying "Give complete control to PJax." I've even said that in a couple of posts before this season. I never in a million years thought that Dolan would have the balls to realize that he doesn't know **** about Basketball, and give a basketball mind full autonomy.

Irving Azoff, you're a Saint!
    Yep I also didn't know Azoff was chairman and CEO of MSG Entertainment. I think I might get Phil's books soon too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
    Yep I also didn't know Azoff was chairman and CEO of MSG Entertainment. I think I might get Phil's books soon too.
    Me too! He's a very spiritual guy I think it will be a good read.

JETS KNICKS YANKEES

vCash
    I'm more spiritual then religious so everything Phil is doing so far just feels right to me. Don't think I've ever felt that about the knicks since the late 90's lol

#TRILLJACKSONWETRUST
    Toney the savior

@I_am_iman
    "two very winnable games"...FOH #Knickstape #mobdeep #NYKallday

vCash
    His book "Sacred Hoops" is awesome. I just started Eleven Rings.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    Best thread in three years......

vCash

Exclusive: Phil Jackson talks about return to Knicks and Madison Square Garden

This is such a fantastic read thank you for posting!

vCash
    Great Read, cool story bro, literally

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    His book "Sacred Hoops" is awesome. I just started Eleven Rings.
    Just started sacred

the home of Heavy D, Ben Gordon, Diddy, Denzel washington and me
    vCash

vCash
    Great read .. #nuffsaid