Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Niese's Thoughts on Met Fan Loyalty

"What do I think of Met fans?" Niese said with a laugh. "That's a good question. I really don't know except they want their team to win, pretty much like any other fan. That is pretty much all I know."

When it was pointed out to him that Mets fans have stuck with their team through a lot of bad times, Niese questioned the sentiment.

"How can you say that?" Niese said. "We are not filling the stadium. Where are the Mets fans when we are down-and-out? They were here in '06 and '07 when we were really good, but we have struggled and they are not coming to the stadium."
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...team-free-pass

Not thrilled with these comments. Instead of taking a shot at the fans that don't show up, he should appreciate the "loyal" fans that have stuck by this laughingstock of a franchise over the last seven years. And there are plenty of "loyal" fans that can't show up to the ballpark due to financial reasons. Sadly, I expect Niese's opinion is a popular one throughout the clubhouse. It must be frustrating to play in front of empty stadiums daily. But find me a team with ticket prices like ours that consistently fields an underperforming product and still draws 30,000+ every night. You can't.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Some players just don't know how to answer some questions.

vCash
    More reason to TRAID Niese!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382:28809764
    "What do I think of Met fans?" Niese said with a laugh. "That's a good question. I really don't know except they want their team to win, pretty much like any other fan. That is pretty much all I know."

When it was pointed out to him that Mets fans have stuck with their team through a lot of bad times, Niese questioned the sentiment.

"How can you say that?" Niese said. "We are not filling the stadium. Where are the Mets fans when we are down-and-out? They were here in '06 and '07 when we were really good, but we have struggled and they are not coming to the stadium."

Not thrilled with these comments. Instead of taking a shot at the fans that don't show up, he should appreciate the "loyal" fans that have stuck by this laughingstock of a franchise over the last seven years. And there are plenty of "loyal" fans that can't show up to the ballpark due to financial reasons. Sadly, I expect Niese's opinion is a popular one throughout the clubhouse. It must be frustrating to play in front of empty stadiums daily. But find me a team with ticket prices like ours that consistently fields an underperforming product and still draws 30,000+ every night. You can't.
    I agree SJ. Fans show their loyalty by not turning apathetic, even if they dont show up at the stadium. Newsflash to Mr Niese: not all of us make 5 million a year. If we.re gonna waste money watching baseball we prefer it not be crappy baseball.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I mean...he's right. But he should have said the people who do show up are loyal, instead of saying the people who don't show up aren't. He's probably frustrated by playing in front of an empty house every night.

vCash
    Nothing wrong with what he said. Fans can't claim to have "stuck with the team" if they're not showing up and supporting them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post

Probably the Cubs but he is right to some degree. NY fans are also probably more of a fickle bunch than fans of baseball teams in other cities too. That's because when the Mets are winning all the bandwagoners show up, fill the ballpark, and say "I've been with the team my whole life" meanwhile they can't even mention anyone past David Wright or Daniel Murphy.

Like Nymfan said too, for the players it has to be disheartening showing up to a half empty stadium. The product on the field is not entirely their fault. These guys are playing up to their abilities, it's just they need help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post

He's obviously not referring to fans who can't show up due to high prices. He's not talking about any one fan, or subset of fans, in particular. He's talking about the state of the fandom in general, which is represented in attendance numbers.

And he's not taking a shot at anyone. The reporter made the erroneous claim that the fans have stuck with the team, and he disagreed. I'm sure he's frustrated as well. Like you say, it must suck to have to play in front of an empty stadium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Probably the Cubs but he is right to some degree. NY fans are also probably more of a fickle bunch than fans of baseball teams in other cities too. That's because when the Mets are winning all the bandwagoners show up, fill the ballpark, and say "I've been with the team my whole life" meanwhile they can't even mention anyone past David Wright or Daniel Murphy.

Like Nymfan said too, for the players it has to be disheartening showing up to a half empty stadium. The product on the field is not entirely their fault. These guys are playing up to their abilities, it's just they need help.
    Do you go to Mets games during the year? If yes, would you go to more if they where winning?

There aren't many teams that can fill up a stadium while they aren't winning games.... in any sport really. I still go to 10+ Mets games a year, but that's also because I get the tickets for free.

If I had to pay for tickets? I'm not sure I'd go that many times.

But on the contrary, I will buy tickets to the Jets regardless of if they win/lose. I don't know man.
    'Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shi*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81:28810126
    Nothing wrong with what he said. Fans can't claim to have "stuck with the team" if they're not showing up and supporting them.
    Horse feathers. I can remain fiercely loyal to this team without ever touching a turnstile.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Major chutzpah on Nieae's part. Fans are more loyal to his team than he could ever be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greet View Post
    Do you go to Mets games during the year? If yes, would you go to more if they where winning?

There aren't many teams that can fill up a stadium while they aren't winning games.... in any sport really. I still go to 10+ Mets games a year, but that's also because I get the tickets for free.

If I had to pay for tickets? I'm not sure I'd go that many times.

But on the contrary, I will buy tickets to the Jets regardless of if they win/lose. I don't know man.
    Well I used to buy half season plans but I don't get as much time with my new job which usually lets me out closer to game time so now I buy the 15 game pack. I go regardless of their record but I understand why people don't go. That said, I also understand how the players feel about playing to an empty stadium all the time. I get it has to do in part to the protest of the Wilpons along with their play on the field though.

As for football, it's an entirely different beast. There are only 8 home games a year in contrast to 81 and there is relatively similar playing field with the cap installed and teams spending mostly to it. That said, commitment to winning shouldn't always be tied to money spent on the product. Besides the bad play on the field, Met fans also hold a grudge that the Mets aren't spending like they should. I get that as well but I don't let the Wilpons ruin my experience with the Mets.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-18-2014 at 12:46 AM.

vCash

Niese's Thoughts on Met Fan Loyalty

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Some players just don't know how to answer some questions.
    They should lie? If that's how Niese feels, I prefer knowing that rather than something a little more PC but disingenuous. Is he correct? From his vantage point --looking into the stands-- his conclusion is fair. There are fewer fans. I have no problem with this.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 07-18-2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: small pix
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    i really think it stems from distaste of ownership bs, winning on the field would go a long way to fixing that.

vCash
    Mets home attendance is expected to rise over last season, chief revenue officer Lou DePaoli said (Newsday, July 17).

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast