Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Authentic Personalized Cubs Jersey With Your Name and Fav #?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Douche move.

10 58.82%
  • I'm cool with it.

4 23.53%
  • Buy a jersey shirt and spend savings on beer.

3 17.65%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Let The 2nd Half Begin: Cubs vs D-Backs (7/18-7/20)

Chicago Cubs

Record: 40-54

Standing: 5th in NL Central

Team Leaders:

Batting Average: Starlin Castro, .276

Home Runs: Anthony Rizzo, 20

ERA: Travis Wood, 4.96

The Cubs are again flailing in last place in the NL Central, 12 games back of first and 8.5 back of the fourth-place Pirates. Out of the playoff race, the Cubs were early sellers at the trade deadline, participating in the biggest deal to date. They sent starters Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel to the Oakland Athletics for top prospects Addison Russell and Billy McKinney, along with MLB starter Dan Straily.

There isn't much hope for the Cubs this season, but the future looks bright. They have a loaded farm system that includes infielders Russell, Javier Baez, Arismendy Alcantara and Kris Bryant, and outfielders McKinney and Jorge Soler.

Pitching Matchups:

Game 1, Friday 6:40 PT: RHP Edwin Jackson (5-10, 5.64 ERA, 4.26 FIP) vs. RHP Trevor Cahill (1-6, 5.66 ERA, 4.15 FIP)

Jackson has struggled in the Windy City this season, including his last outing in which he gave up nine runs on seven hits in 3.2 innings in a loss to the Atlanta Braves. He's been horrific on the road this season, going 1-7 with a 6.05 ERA in ten starts outside of Wrigley Field. He has produced a quality start in just five of his 19 starts. Cahill is making his first major league start since April 15th after a decent stretch (3.86 ERA over six starts) in Triple-A Reno. He is 0-4 with a 7.71 ERA in eight appearances at home this season.

Game 2, Saturday 5:10 PT: LHP Travis Wood (7-8, 4.96 ERA, 4.29 FIP) vs. LHP Wade Miley (5-6, 4.18 ERA, 3.96 FIP)

Wood has struggled since his strong start to 2014, including his last start where he gave up seven runs over six innings in a loss against the Braves. He is 2-4 with a 5.29 ERA in six career starts against Arizona. Miley was just heating up as the first half came to a close, giving up just three runs and striking out 22 batters over his last 21.2 innings (three starts). Miley is 1-5 with a 5.64 ERA in his ten home starts this season.

Game 3, Sunday 1:10 PT: RHP Jake Arrieta (5-1, 1.95 ERA, 2.14 FIP) vs. RHP Josh Collmenter (7-5, 3.80 ERA, 3.97 FIP)

Arrieta has been incredible thus far in 2014, and is coming off of a start where he gave up three runs over 7.2 innings against Atlanta. His 1.95 ERA in his 13 starts since May 1st is second only to Dodgers left hander Clayton Kershaw. Collmenter wrapped up his first half strong, giving up just a run over seven innings in a no decision against the Marlins. He is 5-2 with a 3.13 ERA in 13 home appearances (nine starts) this season.
    Javylujah... Javylujah... Javylujah

vCash
    Any word yet on if Mendy is still on the MLB roster?

And also I think we sweep this *****.

ONE GOAL ACHIEVED!
    1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013

vCash
    Going to all three.

Although Chase Field is a good viewing ballpark with little obstructions, convenient to get to, and fairly spacious, the "entertainment" is annoying. They have two "hosts" that pop up in-between innings on the video board, one with a screeching voice and the other that essentially tries to impersonate Jimmy Fallon. If you're lucky, the mascot won't stay on the dugout for too long.

The focus is off the game and on promotional skits on the video board. The fan base that comes to these games are very disinterested, too. The overall baseball experience is bad, but baseball is baseball.

vCash
    More interested in the "Bdawk guess the number of wins" game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    More interested in the "Bdawk guess the number of wins" game.
    On pace for 69. My guess of 68 lookin alright.

vCash
    I was in the Minor League forum and showering in the awesome that was Bryant/Soler/Baez/Russell/Vogey, then I came into this thread and see "THAT GUY" is opening up the 2nd half for the Cubs and my mood has gone sour. Thanks for bumming me out, Ed Jackson.
    Screw sabermetics.

vCash
    Never be the guy with your name on the jersey. Never buy or wear a jersey shirt. If you wasted $300 on that Jason Hammel jersey, learn from your mistake and try again.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Any word yet on if Mendy is still on the MLB roster?

And also I think we sweep this *****.
    I thought the time line to even consider him not on the roster was July 22nd. That is when the Cubs will need a 5th starter. I believe that is when they were going to get some minor league pitching help. At that time they were going to decide what to do with Mendy. So, yes, he is still with the major league team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTH10 View Post
    Going to all three.

Although Chase Field is a good viewing ballpark with little obstructions, convenient to get to, and fairly spacious, the "entertainment" is annoying. They have two "hosts" that pop up in-between innings on the video board, one with a screeching voice and the other that essentially tries to impersonate Jimmy Fallon. If you're lucky, the mascot won't stay on the dugout for too long.

The focus is off the game and on promotional skits on the video board. The fan base that comes to these games are very disinterested, too. The overall baseball experience is bad, but baseball is baseball.
    I went there once. It was an off day and I just wanted to see the ballpark and check it off my list so we ate at the tgi Fridays in the park. Nice stadium but the video board was turned off so I didn't get to experience the entertainment which sounds awesome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTH10 View Post
    Going to all three.

Sounds like "Bush" Stadium, where fans are more interested in starting and participating in the wave, SnapChatting, and turned toward the person seated next to them and not looking at the field for several innings at a time. The last game I was there was on July 4th against the Marlins. After harassing my brother, who was wearing a Braves shirt, for cheering when Holliday couldn't make the play on Yelich's gapper in the 9th that led to the Marlins first run of the game, a fan a few rows down from us spent most of the Mike Stanton at-bat on his cell phone while the bases were loaded and a two-run ballgame going on. The row directly in front of of us spent more time playing musical chairs and talking about any and all things not baseball. I have sat next to or around Cardinals fans that have literally not looked at the field of play for innings at a time. #Baseball'sBestFans

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    "Everybody clap your hands" is Buschleague Stadium's favorite part of the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    "Everybody clap your hands" is Buschleague Stadium's favorite part of the game.
    Because it's true.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash

Let The 2nd Half Begin: Cubs vs D-Backs (7/18-7/20)

We've got some work to do. 5th worst record in baseball and getting swept by Arizona could get us to 2-3rd worst.
    So come on Jackson! Do work

vCash
    Alcantara batting 2nd and playing 2nd...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazm View Post
    We've got some work to do. 5th worst record in baseball and getting swept by Arizona could get us to 2-3rd worst.
    So come on Jackson! Do work
    Hadn't checked the standings in forever and had no idea Texas was the cellar dweller.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast