Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

JR on being traded

J.R. Smith is confident the Knicks can win the Eastern Conference this season, but is he confident he'll be a part of the team?

Smith appeared on ESPN2ís "First Take" on Wednesday, talked about the Knicksí glut at shooting guard and said he "wouldnít blame" team president Phil Jackson and the Knicks if the team had decided to trade him last season.

"No. Absolutely not. The way I was playing, I was playing like a person who didnít want to be there," Smith said. "Not looking as focused as a person should be in that situation that we were, in the trenches. I wouldnít blame them at all."

Of course, the Knicks didnít deal Smith by last seasonís trade deadline, but the Knicks this season are a bit overstocked at shooting guard with Smith, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Iman Shumpert on the roster.

Hardaway Jr. and Shumpert were mentioned in recent trade discussions between the Knicks and other teams that were centered around Amar'e Stoudemire and Andrea Bargnani, according to sources.

Smith said on Wednesday that heís "cognizant" one of the shooting guards on the roster could be traded before the start of the season.

"Yeah, because thatís just the way the numbers work, honestly," he said. "When you have so many people at that same position and youíre trying to juggle between 'Well, heís got to play 20 minutes, heís got to play 30 minutes, heís got to play 25 minutes,' itís tough to do. Thatís why whenever Iím in the gym I try to do the best. [Iím] not worried about those guys [the other shooting guards], but [I want] to make sure Iím evolving my game so I can play multiple positions and keep my talent on the floor."

Smith also touched on several other subjects on "First Take."

"Extremely. Iím confident. I donít play to lose."

On what went wrong last season:

"For one, it was unacceptable the whole year. Iím not going to make any excuses for myself. Coming back from knee surgery is a tough thing to come back from. I didnít expect to be at that top tier, where I was. We had a lot of confusion going on [regarding] what we were going to do as far as schemes and stuff like that. And some people didnít agree with it. Ö And it just caused confusion, and, before you know it, some people were doing what they want to do and other people were doing what they want to do and there was just a lot of confusion. We just didnít agree. We agreed to disagree a lot of the times.

"And everybody knows in order for five guys to be on the same page, like the Spurs were Ö everybody has to be on the same page, and we werenít."

On whether focus was an issue for him:

"I put so much pressure on myself to come back, especially after [the] suspension and being hurt, to be back [to] where I was the year before, winning the sixth man [award]. But after that I put so much pressure on myself Ö [I tried] to try to take some of the pressure off and just have fun with the game. Thatís where the shoe incident came into play and just [wanted to] try to ease the tension a little bit and it wasnít working. None of the things that I had going on in my mind was working. And, unfortunately, it just so happened, I believe, to be the worst year Iíve had in the NBA, including my rookie year. So Iím just looking to bounce back."

On playing for Derek Fisher:

"I love Derek. Iíve known Derek since my rookie year when I played out in Long Beach. It seems like so long ago. Ever since the first day I met him to now, heís been the same person. Heís probably one of the most consistent, professional people Iíve ever met in this business, and I canít wait to play for him."

Copied link from my phone. Sorry if it's a little out of sort. I revised it and tried fixing it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    you're gonna get pennies on the dollar for JR right now, I'd hang on.

This is a pseudo contract year with the player option he has
    "If we could talk about it and get (to the playoffs), it would've already been done. We know that talking won't get it done. We have to earn it." - Jets Coach Rex Ryan
    #hatersgonnahate

vCash
    I'm not ready to let JR walk personally. I think he will play a huge role in the triangle and when used as a spot up shooter there is no denying how deadly he can be. Smith is a great shooter and a good passer. He is the prototypical 2 guard in this offensive scheme and when focused he can be a disruptive defender.

I think this is the year his head is screwed on straight and he takes a big leap in maturity. He needs to be the veteran and leader we all want to see him be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRaiderLove View Post
    I'm not ready to let JR walk personally. I think he will play a huge role in the triangle and when used as a spot up shooter there is no denying how deadly he can be. Smith is a great shooter and a good passer. He is the prototypical 2 guard in this offensive scheme and when focused he can be a disruptive defender.

I think this is the year his head is screwed on straight and he takes a big leap in maturity. He needs to be the veteran and leader we all want to see him be.
    He's another guy with good handles that can create his own shot that leads people to assume they don't need a PG to play off of. The whole team should be better.

and he's a crackhead, so theres that.
    "If we could talk about it and get (to the playoffs), it would've already been done. We know that talking won't get it done. We have to earn it." - Jets Coach Rex Ryan
    #hatersgonnahate

vCash
    This was a good segment by JR Smith, watch it if you have the chance...

He touched upon some issues in the locker room as well, and Tyson not being focused because of a situation with his mom. JR was as honest as he can be about last season....

JETS KNICKS YANKEES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    He's another guy with good handles that can create his own shot that leads people to assume they don't need a PG to play off of. The whole team should be better.

and he's a crackhead, so theres that.
    Dude really?

JETS KNICKS YANKEES

vCash
    Unless it's for a good player, I don't let JR go.

Our best stretches over the past few seasons have been with JR producing. As much as people like to jump on Melo's tip, JR has been more key to winning the past few seasons, whether starting or coming off the bench, when healthy.

vCash
    For the Knicks to get out in front early in games JR needs to start and be in the flow of the game right away. Let it be his position to loose and this I believe will motivate him coming into the season, kind of put it out there early for him so he can get his mind right. He is a willing passer and should excel in the triangle because he is a great spot up shooter.

vCash
    "No. Absolutely not. The way I was playing, I was playing like a person who didnít want to be there," Smith said. "Not looking as focused as a person should be in that situation that we were, in the trenches. I wouldnít blame them at all."

I said it as soon as last season started, the teams leadership was gone, and the players had no direction. That quote proves it. This team isn't as bad as our record was last year, it just lacked leadership.

Canelo with the nice 7 punch combination

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post

I said it as soon as last season started, the teams leadership was gone, and the players had no direction. That quote proves it. This team isn't as bad as our record was last year, it just lacked leadership.
    Leadership was one of the missing pieces last year, but I'm not sure our problems can be reduced to that. Poor coaching, no bench production, injuries, and other factors played a role.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trueknickfan View Post
    For the Knicks to get out in front early in games JR needs to start and be in the flow of the game right away. Let it be his position to loose and this I believe will motivate him coming into the season, kind of put it out there early for him so he can get his mind right. He is a willing passer and should excel in the triangle because he is a great spot up shooter.
    THIS!!

I would start JR at the 2. Look at our stretch when Woodson finally got his head out of his *** and put the 5 best players on the floor. He's also a good defender when motivated and is a great rebounder for a guard. He's my candidate for biggest resurgence under Phish.

JETS KNICKS YANKEES

vCash
    Now I didn't read the whole thing so I could be wrong, but I knew the mike Woodson stuff would be left out. J.r. Also said it wasn't woody fault things went wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Leadership was one of the missing pieces last year, but I'm not sure our problems can be reduced to that. Poor coaching, no bench production, injuries, and other factors played a role.
    Absolutely terrible team chemistry, players coming into camp out of shape and just not as much focus as the precious year. It was just a disastrous season in general.

All in all we did kinda turn it up to close the season. I know JR is better than he played and I'm not even a big fan of his.

vCash
    Jr smith is the 2nd best player on the team.
    There is no way in hell you trade him , especially since he is way under paid.

He is by far our best bang for the buck .

And he is probally the most clutch player on the team.

Not to mention he is boys with a melo.

He just had a poor season.

I guarantee you that he will have an amazing season with Phil here .

vCash
    Trade this head case. Have you guys forgotten that he tanked games last year to damage Woodson?

Same [defecation], different day.

Trade him!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast