Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Channing Frye Brings Up A Great Point On NBA Players Taking Discounts

I've been guilty of the whole "Why didn't he take a discount if he really loved the team?" thing a couple times. I'm sure most fans at some point or another have griped over a player jetting for a little more cash. Frye brings up an interesting and fair point though to give perspective.

"The question I always ask is 'would you take a hometown discount?'" Frye told Burns and Gambo Wednesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.

"People say that, it's just absolutely ridiculous. Because the thing that happens is someone takes a discount. Let's say the market says they're worth $10 million and they take $5 million. The next day they get traded, so they're like 'well dang, why did I take $5 million if you're just going to trade me?'

"Think about it, our careers are short-lived. So why not go somewhere where you're going to be extremely appreciated, where you're going to be part of the future? People just say 'take a discount,' why? I'm 31. Why would I do that? I'm not asking for $15 million a year -- I'm not crazy. The market dictated what was going on and I took the best deal."

http://arizonasports.com/41/1751003/...etown-discount

vCash
    I always thought fans were being extremely selfish, if not out of touch with reality, to expect players to take a home town discount of any kind. I won't applaud the players that do, nor ridicule the ones who don't. The fact is most players are out of professional sports in under 5 years and most rarely see a max contract. The market determines your value. It doesn't make you a rational actor to steeply discount that value when the odds of you seeing that kind of money again diminishes over time.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

vCash
    How is this a great point exactly. Everyone knows there are no guarantees. I came in here expecting some sort of special insight LOL
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 07-17-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Greedy *** mofo! You're getting paid millions just to play a stupid game!

Seriously, tho. Can't blame him.

vCash
    Guys like Frye always should take what they can get and call it a day. Vets and super-duper-stars sometimes don't quite fall into that criteria, but if anyone is bashing a player of Frye's caliber for taking the money, well, hahahahaha. Get your money while you can.

vCash
    if you sign a 5 million contract instead of your 10 million that you are worth and get traded, that means you aint worth 10 million.

vCash
    It is a great point. I don't expect any players to take discounts. He's 100% right that the players have to look out for themselves, their families, and their futures.

vCash
    i dont think Dirk or tim or Pau will get traded after the discount they took.

I mean, how can you replace the producion they will be bringing for just 7/8 ****ing million dollars a year.

vCash
    I think the best argument I've heard so far is by Isiah Thomas, he said that it wasn't right for guys like LeBron, Wade, Bosh, etc. to take a discount because players at the bottom of the salary scale (minimum contracts , 10 day contracts....) are the ones who get affected most... when a guy like LeBron takes less it brings down the overall pay scale for all players

Now, I don't know how much truth there is to this or if it's been researched, by I thought Isiah brought up an interesting point

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCkid12 View Post
    I think the best argument I've heard so far is by Isiah Thomas, he said that it wasn't right for guys like LeBron, Wade, Bosh, etc. to take a discount because players at the bottom of the salary scale (minimum contracts , 10 day contracts....) are the ones who get affected most... when a guy like LeBron takes less it brings down the overall pay scale for all players

Now, I don't know how much truth there is to this or if it's been researched, by I thought Isiah brought up an interesting point
    Poor them only being paid X amount of millions instead of Y amount of millions.

vCash
    A cap system doesn't work if players take "discounts." Either make this a cap system which actually matters or make it a free capitalist system like MLB.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinTime View Post
    Vancouver is the best city in North America and that's not just my opinion we win awards for it all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinTime View Post
    K Love is basically TT with a shot and better passing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Zo View Post
    Poor them only being paid X amount of millions instead of Y amount of millions.
    It's actually making 500K or making 300K for a guy at the end of the bench (I know it's a lot of money too , I get it)

But I'm curious, if you were in there position would you turn down 10M for 6M ? I know I wouldn't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    A cap system doesn't work if players take "discounts." Either make this a cap system which actually matters or make it a free capitalist system like MLB.
    I agree, make it like MLB and eliminate a salary cap

Salary cap is supposed to add parity? the same 4-5 teams contend for a title anyway

vCash
    Taking discounts so that a billionaire can save $ is the dumbest **** I've ever seen.

These are the owners that demanded a salary cap, than they ask players to take pay cuts to "benefit the team."

The players are getting hustled bad...

vCash
    Fans is short for fanatics. Would you be willing to take a 50% discount to work in your hometown? You have an offer of 60k and your hometown can only offer you 30k. Which deal you taking?

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 0 , Yards: 0 , TD's: 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast