Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Where the Rockets Stand Right Now

So, I know it's been a disappointing offseason, for many possible reasons, because we lost Parsons or because we could have had the best starting 5 in the league or Anthony, or even LeBron. After trading for Harden in 2012, and signing Howard in 2013, 2014 was far from an ideal offseason. But it's not as bad as people make out to be. So I decided to make this thread to address the Rockets' roster right now, and see if we could be better or at least at the same level as last season, even after losing our third best player.

First, Parsons. In my opinion, not matching his $46 million offer over three years (player option after the second year) and a huge trade kicker, was the right decision. If we had matched, we would have this same team, plus Parsons, without cap space or exceptions to add depth this year. And with three guys making over $15 million, plus Ariza making $8, there would be no cap space to get better in at least 2 years when Howard can opt out. Not to mention we would be really close to the tax line, with our only PG being a FA next year.

The thing is we could have another season of Parsons, at only $900k. I think he was poised to leave sooner or later. If we hadn't declined the option, he would leave to pursue a bigger role as a UFA. So declining the team option also seemed the right decision. The problem is that Cuban thought Parsons was worth max money, which he isn't. The Mavs will be a bordeline Playoff team, 1st round exit for the next three years, if they can't land a star next summer.

Parsons is very replaceable, and I love the Ariza signing. I don't know if we can expect him to keep those numbers from last season, but if he do, I'd say he could actually help more than Parsons. Defense was a far bigger concern than offense last season, and if Ariza isn't as complete all-around as Parsons on offense, he's an elite defender and he can lock down wing players as good as anybody in the league. And he's also become a better three-point shooter. I long said the two things we need the most surrounding Harden at the 1 and 3 positions are defense and three-point shooting, exactly what Ariza and Beverley provide.

About Bosh, you can't be sad for losing something you never had. It would be hard for him turn $118 million down and a 1st option role. I think we haven't given Jones much credity, his offense was pretty solid last season, and his defense should improve in his third year, especially having McHale, Howard and Olajuwon around to help out. We could also make a move. Boozer and Marion are available, and both would be solid additions.

And Motiejunas has played well in the Summer League, and I just LOVED the Jeff Adrien signing for the minimum. Great defender, 11 and 8 averages for the Bucks last season (13 and 9 as a starter) in limited minutes. Also Capela might be coming, and while he's a project, I wouldn't rule out an impact in his rookie season.

Troy Daniels re-signing for only $2 million over two years was also great news. As well as bringing Dorsey back from Europe. I hated trading him back in that T-Mac-K-Mart deal, and he's become a huge defender over there. Defensive Player of the Year in the Greek League. Morey found Beverley in Europe. He always keeps an eye there.

As for "losing" Lin and Asik, we can all agree that Lin is also very replaceable, and considering he was the backup PG and SG, Daniels and Canaan could be just fine. And Johnson could have an impact right away. I would still love a PG signing this offseason. About Asik, he missed to many games, and only played 15 minutes when coming off the bench. Not hard to handle 15 backup minutes, unless Howard gets hurt.

Lastly, as I've got nothing else to do, this is our team salary right now:

Howard $21,436,271
    Harden $14,693,906
    Ariza $8,600,000
    Jones $1,618,680
    Motiejunas $1,483,920
    Beverley $915,243
    Canaan $816,482
    Adrien $981,084

Daniels and Dorsey both got $2 million over two years, I'll assume it's $1 each season.

That gives us $52,545,586 on those 10 guys. Johnson doesn't need to count against the cap yet. Now we add one roster charge of $0,507,336 and a rookie scale contract for Capela ($991,000 for the 25th pick) as cap holds.

$54,043,922. That's the numbers we're looking at. If the Rockets pick the option on Covington, add $309k (because you remove the roster charge).

With the cap at $63.065, we have $9 million to spend. It could be enough to land two good role players like Marion, Nelson, Allen, Sessions. Or how about bringing AB back? I haven't heard of him yet.

And with the trade exception we got from the Lin trade and the pick we got from the Pelicans, we have enough space to try to trade for Rondo (if you're interested, although I'm not) or try an unlikely sign-and-trade for Bledsoe. Can you imagine a Harden-Bledsoe backourt?

And this is out depth chart right now: 11-13 guys depending on Capela and Covington.

Beverley / Canaan
    Harden / Daniels / Johnson
    Ariza / Covington
    Jones / Adrien / Motiejunas / Capela
    Howard / Dorsey
    Last edited by EDUTEXANS; 07-17-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Does the trade exception create a cap hold? Cuz I've seen in alot of places that we are over the cap unless we renounce the rights to that TPE. I'm not mad about not matching Parsons or even about declining his option but I think we're gonna miss him more than people think. Chandler improved every year he was here and there was no reason to think he wouldn't have improved again next year. To me, Chandler was a good third scoring option and even though he did a good job last year, I don't think Ariza is. I don't think his stats from last year will hold up for us. I think he's a good 4th option on offense but, he is a definite upgrade on defense (Parsons will get alot better on D with a real coach like Carlisle though).
    So, to me we have a pretty big need in that third scoring option and I don't think they're on our team and the free agent market i pretty dried up. Our bench right now resembles a rebuilding teams bench. Jeff Adrien is an interesting signing for the minimum but, his time with the Bucks was short and on an awful team so there's no telling what he will do for us.
    Joey Dorsey might be an ok backup but he hasn't played in the NBA in 3 years and I can't find any reason to believe more than one or two of Canaan, Daniels, Johnson, Covington, Capela and Dmo will be major contributors. Daniels will provide 3 point shooting for sure but the others haven't proven anything. Then you still have Beverley and Jones who are below average starters.
    So in summary, we have 2 stars, an average starter, 2 below average starters, a bad bench and a really bad coach. On the bright side we still either have cap space or the MLE and the TPE to get better a well as the NO pick. I'd say we're probably about the 6 seed right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
    Does the trade exception create a cap hold? Cuz I've seen in alot of places that we are over the cap unless we renounce the rights to that TPE.
    Yes, you're right, but by my math we would still be under the cap.

I'm not mad about not matching Parsons or even about declining his option but I think we're gonna miss him more than people think. Chandler improved every year he was here and there was no reason to think he wouldn't have improved again next year. To me, Chandler was a good third scoring option and even though he did a good job last year, I don't think Ariza is. I don't think his stats from last year will hold up for us. I think he's a good 4th option on offense but, he is a definite upgrade on defense (Parsons will get alot better on D with a real coach like Carlisle though).
    Oh sure, that's the reasons Parsons got paid twice as much as Ariza. But again, offense was not a problem last season. With Howard and Harden, Parsons would never see his full potential. It's similar to Lin. Third option and backup guys can be replaceable by guys who do especific things well. And Ariza provides great shooting and defense.

So, to me we have a pretty big need in that third scoring option and I don't think they're on our team and the free agent market i pretty dried up. Our bench right now resembles a rebuilding teams bench. Jeff Adrien is an interesting signing for the minimum but, his time with the Bucks was short and on an awful team so there's no telling what he will do for us.
    Joey Dorsey might be an ok backup but he hasn't played in the NBA in 3 years and I can't find any reason to believe more than one or two of Canaan, Daniels, Johnson, Covington, Capela and Dmo will be major contributors. Daniels will provide 3 point shooting for sure but the others haven't proven anything.
    I don't quite think you need a "third scoring option" in order to contend. We have already two huge scorers, including the 5th best in the league, and we have three-potential 15-point guys surrouding them. And again, offense was not a problem last season.

Bench is indeed a concern. But I'm couting on the free cap space, or exceptions to make it better. So it's hard to make predictions right now.

Then you still have Beverley and Jones who are below average starters.
    So in summary, we have 2 stars, an average starter, 2 below average starters, a bad bench and a really bad coach. On the bright side we still either have cap space or the MLE and the TPE to get better a well as the NO pick. I'd say we're probably about the 6 seed right now
    That's a big overreaction, in my opinion. I wouldn't call an All-Defensive 2nd team player "below average". And Jones averaged 13 and 7 as a starter playing next to Howard, in his 2nd year. If you think Parsons should improve, despite the fact his numbers looked exactly the same last two seasons, you better believe those two will make a bigger jump.

If we finish the offseason adding at least one guy who can contribute from the bench, I think we should, at least, be the same as last year.

vCash
    Double post
    Last edited by rockets-fan; 07-17-2014 at 05:54 PM.

vCash
    I really wanted Boozer and the Lakers got him.

Morey is trying to keep this cap space for a star next year and it's pissin me off. Solid veteran aquisitions and role players is what we need. Nelson, Marion type guys. I really though we would go after Davis or Boozer but nope. Were going I to this season super young, super inexperienced despite Harden and Howars finals, and very very dry on talent in the bench.

I really like Nick Johnson, I think he is going to be our next "Parsons" as in second round gem.

Cannan, Johnson, Dmo, Dorsey, Capella, Papa, Covington, and Daniels. Such a weak bench potential but weak ATM. I'm extremely worried about next season and morey star lust. It's ridiculous

vCash
    I think the Rockets have lost two guys that could create on offense. Parsons was pretty good at driving and dishing (is Ariza?). Lin could score you in the high 20's to 30's whenever Harden was out of a game. Do we have a replacement for that?

I like the defense of the starting five now. And with Harden playing heavy minutes, our offense will be good in the regular season. But we won't be any better for the playoffs this year unless Beverly, Cannan, or Ariza can step it up on offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rockets-fan View Post
    I really wanted Boozer and the Lakers got him.

Morey is trying to keep this cap space for a star next year and it's pissin me off. Solid veteran aquisitions and role players is what we need. Nelson, Marion type guys. I really though we would go after Davis or Boozer but nope. Were going I to this season super young, super inexperienced despite Harden and Howars finals, and very very dry on talent in the bench.

I really like Nick Johnson, I think he is going to be our next "Parsons" as in second round gem.

Cannan, Johnson, Dmo, Dorsey, Capella, Papa, Covington, and Daniels. Such a weak bench potential but weak ATM. I'm extremely worried about next season and morey star lust. It's ridiculous
    You can't blame him for trying to put together the team he was trying to. And now, he seems to be after those type of veterans such as Marion, Allen and Miller (signed with the Cavs).

And Davis as in Glen Davis? Yikes.

And the Greek isn't coming over this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JetRocketAngel View Post
    I think the Rockets have lost two guys that could create on offense. Parsons was pretty good at driving and dishing (is Ariza?).
    Ariza isn't on the same level as Parsons, on offense. The Rockets finished as a top-5 offense, even being 18th in assists and bottom-5 in AST/TO. The Rockets need a better game plan when they're not playing transition.

Lin could score you in the high 20's to 30's whenever Harden was out of a game. Do we have a replacement for that?
    Lin had 6 25+point games (3 each season) in his two seasons with us.

vCash
    Ed David is who I wanted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post

Lin had 6 25+point games (3 each season) in his two seasons with us.
    And Parsons did it 10 times over the two years. I said, "could". Can you say that for Beverley (doubt it) or Ariza (maybe)? I'm just pointing out that the defense is stepping up, but the offense is going to step back a little unless we get some help or we put even more load on Harden.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JetRocketAngel View Post
    And Parsons did it 10 times over the two years. I said, "could". Can you say that for Beverley (doubt it) or Ariza (maybe)? I'm just pointing out that the defense is stepping up, but the offense is going to step back a little unless we get some help or we put even more load on Harden.
    Ariza actually had 9 25+ point games this past season, if that's important to you.

What I'm trying to say is, while Parsons could obviously improve his defense and Ariza could not repeat his offense from last season, Ariza's defense could have a bigger impact on our team than Parsons' offense, considering defense was a bigger concern last season and we didn't have a great perimiter defender to guard great wings.

Paul George averaged less than 20 points on less than 40% shooting against him in the Playoffs. 24 on 45% against Miami and Atlanta.

vCash
    EDU- Well average would be the 15th best PG and not considering salary I'd rather have Paul, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Lowry, Lillard, Wall, Kyrie, Conley, Lawson, Bledsoe, Rose, Kemba, Dragic (if you consider him a PG still), Rondo and D-Will so that would put him at below average. And you can do the same thing with Terrance Jones. And I don't know if when you say "the same as last year" if you mean seed wise, I disagree. If you mean talent wise I do agree. I think we've stayed stagnant this year while other teams have gotten better so right now (even if we add Marion or Mo Williams or whoever you are thinking) I don't think we're getting back to the 4 seed this year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
    EDU- Well average would be the 15th best PG and not considering salary I'd rather have Paul, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Lowry, Lillard, Wall, Kyrie, Conley, Lawson, Bledsoe, Rose, Kemba, Dragic (if you consider him a PG still), Rondo and D-Will so that would put him at below average. And you can do the same thing with Terrance Jones.
    I guess that makes sense but... Beverley might be the best defender out of all those guys. Paul was 1st team all-defense. And considering we have Harden dominating the ball, we need shooting and defense from our PG. Beverley fits that description better than a lot of guys you mentioned.

And I don't know if when you say "the same as last year" if you mean seed wise, I disagree. If you mean talent wise I do agree. I think we've stayed stagnant this year while other teams have gotten better so right now (even if we add Marion or Mo Williams or whoever you are thinking) I don't think we're getting back to the 4 seed this year
    Some teams got marginally better. I wouldn't exacly call Livingston, Carter or Kaman huge additions to their new teams. We're still one step ahead of the following teams PHX, Dallas and Denver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    I guess that makes sense but... Beverley might be the best defender out of all those guys. Paul was 1st team all-defense. And considering we have Harden dominating the ball, we need shooting and defense from our PG. Beverley fits that description better than a lot of guys you mentioned.

Some teams got marginally better. I wouldn't exacly call Livingston, Carter or Kaman huge additions to their new teams. We're still one step ahead of the following teams PHX, Dallas and Denver.
    I'd say Beverley is a below average starter but I don't really have an issue with him as long as we have a guard that can create behind him and no one really knows what we have behind him. And the 3 teams that finished ahead of us should still finish ahead of us and it wouldn't really be a stretch to say Portland and Golden State could finish ahead of us next year and while I agree with PHX and DEN being behind us, I don't think MEM and DAL are that far behind. So I guess I wouldn't be surprised with a 4-6 seed but I'd say 6 is more likely than 4

vCash
    Shane Marion - Andray Blatche - Jermaine O'Neal - Evan Turner
    Last edited by Dee_Edge; 07-18-2014 at 10:39 AM.

vCash
    PG: P. Beverley/I. Smith/I. Canaan
    SG: J. Harden/T. Daniels/N. Johnson
    SF: T.Ariza/(NEED)
    PF: T. Jones/J. Adrien/R. Covington
    C: D. Howard/D. Motiejunas/J. Dorsey
    Last edited by Dee_Edge; 07-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast