Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Why are Teams Caving in to the two year deals?

Lebron, Deng etc etc.
    If you watch the signings there are a lot of 2 year deals.

Whats the reasons for players for these short deals?

They expect to be a lock out in 2017 so they are having their contracts expire in 2016 in order o get paid Before the new cba where they have no guarantees things get even tigher and money shallower.
    So they want to sign their long commitments under the current one in order to make sure they win more money or get fully paid if they are amnestied after the new one.

Shouldnt teams have been dead on not offering them less tan 3 years and thus refuse to play under the players hands?

vCash
    I mean, LeBron and Deng had all the leverage there. Not sure those teams had any choice but to "cave". You really think Cleveland is gonna say "no, you have no choice...sign for 4 years or go back to Miami"?

I think the reasoning is that the NBA is set up for a new TV contract and thus there will be a lot more money in the pot to tap into. At least LeBron...he can make a lot more if he opts out after a year, or renegotiate after 2. The max contract is based on a percentage of the total cap. So, if the cap goes up, he can get more. LeBron has spoken out about how the CBA restricts what he can make, so clearly he has that in mind.

And yeah, some people think players will be gunning for the end of max contracts in 2017. Having the flexibility to capitalize on that if by some chance it happens is obviously huge. James has potentially sacrificed financially enough in his mind...

And Indy didn't cave. Look where it got them...

vCash
    I think Deng just accepted the best offer he was presented. And knew the longer he waited, the less cap space teams would have.

vCash
    I think from the team perspective many are hoping for a shot at KD

vCash
    its not the teams,its the players/agents.see in 2 years the new tv contracts kick in and will dramatically raise revenues(meaning the cap will be raised by a lot).so the union has advised players not to lock themselves into contracts under the current environment
    Last edited by abe_froman; 07-17-2014 at 12:47 PM.

vCash
    Teams will be flush with cap space in 2016 because of the new tv deal, and a bunch of max contracts will be given out. Players who want to maximize their income are taking 2yr deals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    its not the teams,its the players/agents.see in 2 years the new tv contracts kick in and will dramatically raise revenues(meaning the cap will be raised by a lot).so the union has advised players not to lock themselves into contracts under the current environment
    yep

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Players want it for the 2016 higher cap, and teams are willing to accept in order to clear cap space to attract some of them during this time.

vCash
    You could make the argument that players are the ones "caving" too because many of then want the long term security now but teams want to save cap space for 2016. So I wouldnt consider either side to be "caving" more than the other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedprple&gold View Post
    You could make the argument that players are the ones "caving" too because many of then want the long term security now but teams want to save cap space for 2016. So I wouldnt consider either side to be "caving" more than the other.
    I think it's a bit of both. They get 2 years instead of just one year (more security, unless it's non-guaranteed) and then everybody is free for the lockout phase/revenue increase.

She can turn my "Paige" anytime!

vCash
    For the lesser players, it's better for GMs to have flexible contacts anyway. But in lebrons case, he'll be guaranteed a lot more money with the new cba

vCash
    I think it's mutual. Teams want to clear the books for 2016 and the players want to capitalize on the new TV deal.

JETS KNICKS YANKEES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FYL_McVeezy View Post
    I think it's mutual. Teams want to clear the books for 2016 and the players want to capitalize on the new TV deal.
    I agree w this
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD
    injured.....again

vCash
    players are waiting on the new TV deal and CBA, owners are saving space for Durant in summer 2016.

vCash
    Crooner probably thinks LeBron and other players are cowards for not signing for at least 3 years like Pau Gasol lol

But yeah, the tv deal is a thing

Boogie Cousins for MVP 2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast