Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Former 1st Round Pick Kevin Hayes Signed! (Please use new thread)

By Larry Brooks

The Rangers have targeted pending free-agent winger Kevin Hayes, the 22-year-old Boston College graduate who was selected 24th overall by the Blackhawks in the 2010 Entry Draft, but who will be eligible to hit the open market on Aug. 16 if he does not sign with Chicago by Aug. 15, The Post has learned.

Hayes, who is continuing to negotiate with the Blackhawks, is expected to be pursued by numerous NHL clubs. Several industry sources report they believe the Rangers will be among a handful of finalists in the bidding for the 6-foot-3, 205-pound left-handed shooting right wing, who played two seasons with Chris Kreider, should he become a free agent.

A finalist for the Hobey Baker award given to the NCAA’s best player, Hayes recorded 65 points (27-38) for the Eagles as a senior while playing on a line with Hobey Baker winner Johnny Gaudreau, the center who joined the Flames for the final game of their season after having been selected 104th overall by Calgary in 2011.

Several NHL talent evaluators told The Post they believe Hayes, who did not attend Chicago’s prospect camp last week after having done so in each of the previous four summers, likely would have been selected between 15th and 25th had he been eligible to re-enter the 2014 draft. He is regarded as an offensive talent perhaps a bit lacking in the ability to grind.

Hayes, who is eligible/required to sign a two-year Entry Level deal regardless of whether he signs with Chicago or becomes a free agent, would have a shot to make the Rangers with a strong training camp. The Blueshirts appear to have vacancies on their third and fourth lines.

Having traded their first-round draft picks in 2013, 2014 and 2015, the Rangers have been aggressive in attempting to sign undrafted college free agents in order to stock their system. Within the last 18 months, they have added defenseman Connor Allen out of UMass-Amherst; defenseman Mat Bodie out of Union College; center Chris McCarthy out of Vermont; and winger Ryan Haggerty out of RPI.

The Blueshirts are continuing to negotiate with restricted free agents Kreider, Mats Zuccarello and Derick Brassard, all of whom have filed for salary arbitration and whose hearings will be held by the end of the month.

Kreider, whose hearing is scheduled for July 23, will get a two-year award that likely will fall in the range of $2.1 million-$2.5 million per season, even as the parties attempt to avoid arbitration by nailing down a two-year contract prior to the hearing.

Zuccarello, whose hearing is scheduled for July 25, and Brassard, whose hearing is set for July 28, are both eligible to become unrestricted free agents next summer. Hence, they would receive one-year awards should they actually go to arbitration.

The Rangers are attempting to negotiate long-term contracts with both that would entail “buying out” years of unrestricted free agency and thus would increase their annual cap hits over what they would command in arbitration.

Zuccarello, who would likely be in the $3.7 million-$4 million arbitration range off his club-leading 59-point season (19-40), is believed seeking a multi-year deal for at least $4.5 million per. Brassard, who would likely be in the $4.5 million-$4.75 million arbitration range off his 45-point (17-28) year, is believed to be looking for a long-term deal worth approximately $5.5 million per.

The Rangers could allow them both to go to arbitration and then attempt to sign them to contract extensions after Jan. 1. That would save cap space for this season, but could prove risky business.
    http://nypost.com/2014/07/17/boston-...rangers-radar/

vCash
    Hayes sounds like an interesting opportunity; hopefully the Kreider connections helps secure his signing. I'm glad Sather is being nimble and opportunistic in trying to mitigate our relative lack of draft picks. If signed, one could look at the lost 1st round pick in the MSL trade a whole lot differently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    Hayes sounds like an interesting opportunity; hopefully the Kreider connections helps secure his signing. I'm glad Sather is being nimble and opportunistic in trying to mitigate our relative lack of draft picks. If signed, one could look at the lost 1st round pick in the MSL trade a whole lot differently.
    That is a good point especially since this guy would have gone somewhere between 15-25 and the 2014 1st round pick we traded was #28.

vCash
    This is basically buying a first round pick + he won a championship with Kreider

seems like a no brainer
    The Michigan team bus was stuck outside Notre Dame stadium for hours after somebody painted a 20 yard line in the parking lot

vCash
    I'd say Boston are favored to land him with the Rangers 2nd.

vCash
    Get him if we can but from what I heard he is going to be looking to play so it will have to be a 1 way contract. Is he better than Miller, Fast or Lindberg right now? Thats the question because he will count against our cap, I dont know if he is or isn't.

vCash
    We need a possible spot for him as well as cap room. It will not be a easy signing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    We need a possible spot for him as well as cap room. It will not be a easy signing.
    I don't understand how our cap situation is so bad when the offense needs so many upgrades, especially with Brad gone.

http://www.capgeek.com/rangers/

Do they re-sign Staal next year and if not, do you consider trading him? They really are spending an awful lot on defense.
    The Michigan team bus was stuck outside Notre Dame stadium for hours after somebody painted a 20 yard line in the parking lot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I don't understand how our cap situation is so bad when the offense needs so many upgrades, especially with Brad gone.

http://www.capgeek.com/rangers/

Do they re-sign Staal next year and if not, do you consider trading him? They really are spending an awful lot on defense.
    We can not make a decision on Staal until we know his demands. I'd like to keep him.

Most teams do not have a goalie whose salary takes up 12% of the cap. That plays a role. Also we had 45-59 point players on our 3rd line. Many teams do not have that luxury.

I do not think the Rangers cap situation is not bad compared to many teams that have a lot more holes.

We get good production for the most part based on the salary of our players. Nash (playoff drought) and Girardi (age) are really the only 2 contracts that I worry about and both of those are fair market.

vCash
    Maybe sign Staal (and one or two of his brothers ) and deal somebody else.

I think the main luxury here is defense. After Lundqvist, Nash and Marty, the next 4 guys are defensemen.

5.5, 4.7, 4.5, 3.9 + you've got Kevin Klein @ 2.9.

You're spending 12% like you said on a Goalie, how do you go and spend that much on defense? Thats a lot toward stopping the puck for a goal starved team.

vCash

I think the main luxury here is defense. After Lundqvist, Nash and Marty, the next 4 guys are defensemen.

You're spending 12% like you said on a Goalie, how do you go and spend that much on defense? Thats a lot toward stopping the puck for a goal starved team.
    The one that scares me is Dan's 5.5 mill. The rest are very solid deals.

McD for 6 years at 4.7 is a steal in my opinion.

For comparison I think Webber is almost a 8 mill cap hit for 14 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    The one that scares me is Dan's 5.5 mill. The rest are very solid deals.

McD for 6 years at 4.7 is a steal in my opinion.

For comparison I think Webber is almost a 8 mill cap hit for 14 years.
    It's great we locked McD in long term early. With that playoff performance, top line, and putting up a ton of points, other Dmen would be looking for 6-7 mill a year right now.

I like Staal and think his play has improved a ton from post eye surgery to the end of last year. Girardi's contract isn't bad, but it's bad for the situation this team is in, so I hope he would also be my pick to get dealt and I hope still has some good trade value out there. This offseason was a tough one, but after the Staal contract, I think we should be set financially with a lot of guys locked up, maybe Girardi or Staal leaving, and MSL likely retired, or back at a much lower cost, at the end of his deal.

vCash

I think they'll try to change that a bit, and move more $ to the O, perhaps with a trade like you mentioned. But I can't fault it, the goalie and D is what got us into the Cup.

vCash
    Cross your fingers. NHL Rumors just tweeted he's a Ranger (just a tweet but it was just posted)

NHL Rumors @NHLRumorsDaily · 11m

As of right now I'm being told Kevin Hayes will sign with the NYRangers

vCash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast