Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Could Mariano's legend be lessened?

We all know, greatest of all time, he truly is. But if Robertson continues his success and makes replacing Mo look easy, will there be a belief throughout baseball that his unstoppable force wasn't as great as it seemed? Stupid topic when you bring out stats, and obviously Robertson has only held the helm for 3 months, just something I was thinking about earlier

PSD's 2011 Diva's Champion

vCash
    No. Mo's legend is tied in with his longevity. He was an elite level closer for almost 2 decades. That type of sustained excellence will never be duplicated.

Wagner, Gagne, Lidge, etc.. There were so many dominant closers during Mo's tenure but none of them comes close.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    And I agree, just thinking perception around the league, especially in 5 years when he's up for the hall (getting in unanimously, obviously he's going in with 90+ percent). It's just having a replacement come in and basically put up relatable number might skew opinions on him.

Not that I really care, Yankee fans all know he's one of the GOAT pitchers, not just relievers, but seeing all the haters chiming in, in the "jeter is only a 70 win player" is just absurd in my eyes

PSD's 2011 Diva's Champion

vCash
    let the haters hate

EVERYBODY RELAX, I'M BACK!

vCash
    this is great

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    No. Mo's legend is tied in with his longevity. He was an elite level closer for almost 2 decades. That type of sustained excellence will never be duplicated.

Wagner, Gagne, Lidge, etc.. There were so many dominant closers during Mo's tenure but none of them comes close.
    This

vCash
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MelanconMadness View Post
    We all know, greatest of all time, he truly is. But if Robertson continues his success and makes replacing Mo look easy, will there be a belief throughout baseball that his unstoppable force wasn't as great as it seemed? Stupid topic when you bring out stats, and obviously Robertson has only held the helm for 3 months, just something I was thinking about earlier

You truly are a deep thinker and this may be the most intelligently written and greatest thread ever posted on this site!

Do you think that Cervelli could become so great that people would forget about Babe Ruth or is that pushing it?
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Let's talk when Robertson cracks 200 saves... he has 31 now.
    which is still more than 400 short of Mo.

As Jets fans, we act like this Jet is either taking off to new heights or crashing to the ground. There is never a normal ride with some turbulence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Let's talk when Robertson cracks 200 saves... he has 31 now.
    which is still more than 400 short of Mo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

vCash
    Lol

EVERYBODY RELAX, I'M BACK!

vCash
    It's not just about saving a few regular season games. Let Robertson win a few rings and dominate the way Mo did, then maybe the argument holds water.

Did Steve Young tarnish Joe Montana's legacy? (not saying Robertson is equivalent to Steve Young). An all time great is an all time great, no matter what others following him do. MO is not only an all time great, he was the greatest ever at his position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stag6004 View Post
    Did Steve Young tarnish Joe Montana's legacy? (not saying Robertson is equivalent to Steve Young).
    ^was going to say exactly this.

vCash
    Mo was quite often NOT the top closer each year... there was always someone else with more saves... but those guys would last 3-4 years then disappear... Wohlers, Gagne, Rocker... The list of closers who played during Mo's career who would dominate for a few years then just disappear is long... but only two were near the top every year... Mo and Trevor Hoffman... and TH always gets knocked down because he rarely was on a winning team..

That longevity of dominance is rare out of the pen... then you add on top that he threw 1 pitch... just 1.. cut fastball...You knew what was coming and yet you still could not hit it... Most pitchers at the MLB level.. you don't have 2-3 pitches, you're not good enough for an MLB pen... but yet Mo still dominated...

No, Robertson has a long way to go before he's even a blip on Mo's career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    Mo was quite often NOT the top closer each year... there was always someone else with more saves... but those guys would last 3-4 years then disappear... Wohlers, Gagne, Rocker... The list of closers who played during Mo's career who would dominate for a few years then just disappear is long... but only two were near the top every year... Mo and Trevor Hoffman... and TH always gets knocked down because he rarely was on a winning team..

That longevity of dominance is rare out of the pen... then you add on top that he threw 1 pitch... just 1.. cut fastball...You knew what was coming and yet you still could not hit it... Most pitchers at the MLB level.. you don't have 2-3 pitches, you're not good enough for an MLB pen... but yet Mo still dominated...

No, Robertson has a long way to go before he's even a blip on Mo's career.
    I don't even think it's the one pitch. It's the sheer number of dominant relievers that came and went during Mo's tenure. If you start looking at the best relievers of the last 20 years you find yourself remembering a bunch of guys you've completely forgotten, because they did it for 2-3 seasons, not 2 decades.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast