Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

"Second Half" Predictions

So the "second half" begins this Friday against the Tribe. What are your predictions/expectations for the rest of the season? I believe they will make a big move for a starter, shifting Smyly back to the 'pen. They will also pick up one of Benoit, Soria, or Street. Lastly, I think they will pass Oakland for the best record in the majors, finishing with 97-100 wins.

vCash
    At first I thought it would be nice to pick up another starter but I don't think it's as important as some think. Smyly hasn't been good, but he hasn't been awful. He's more than capable of being the #5 for us and as someone else has said on here, we make it deep into the playoffs and he moves to the pen anyways.

I really think the Tigers will make a move for some bullpen help. I'd like Street, Benoit, Papelbon, then Soria in that order. Soria is lowest because it seems the Rangers have a hefty price tag on him. Street is most ideal, the guy has been untouchable and the Padres are not even close to making the playoffs so they will be selling. He has a 1.09 ERA, 0.76 WHIP, and 9.3 K/9 ratio. I'd welcome him with open arms, and would rather not see him go to the Angels!

I'm interested to see how Dirks performs when he comes back from his injury. I'm not expecting anything spectacular, but hopefully a little more consistent than Hunter's numbers have been. I also wonder how J.D. will hold up, hopefully he doesn't take a crap.

Porcello finishes with 21 wins
    Miggy finishes with 26 homers
    Victor finishes with 31 homers
    Kinsler gets over 200 hits
    Davis steals 46 bases
    Tigers finish with 101 wins

vCash
    First off it ISN"T the start of the SECOND HALF. Its the last 40 %. The season is about 60 % over. Baseball is on average of 12 games into the SECOND HALF. So that means 2-3 less starts for pitchers. 40-50 less at bats for hitters. That makes a huge. difference.

Porcello 18 wins Thats 5 more than I thought he would have.
    Cabrera 24 hrs Thats 16 less that I thought he would have.
    Martinez 27 hrs Thats 12 more than I thought he would have.
    Kinslar gets over 200 hits
    Davis 40 steals but they may not all be with the Tigers
    Tigers finish 91 wins . And thats stretching it. To win 100 games they would have to go 47-24 . That is NOT going to happen.

So far this team has exceded my expectations . Still 71 games to be played. That's 2 1/2 months . Hopefully we can pull away and not have a Sept. like we had a few years back when we lost a 7 game lead in Sept. to the Twins.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    I expect more up and down play from the Tigers. They have proven to be very streaky so they'll be hot at times and they'll be cold at times. I think they have enough to win the division at this point the bullpen isn't good enough to be a world series team. Basically if they get hot in September going into October I can see the Tigers making a run at the World Series otherwise I expect an early exit.

vCash
    Dirks was hurt again and was pulled from his rehab. I don't think he plays for the Tigers this year. I'm more on the Jack and LFLOL side for 2nd half predicitions. 88-92 wins at best with a lot of peaks and valleys. If JV doesn't right the ship this team is a 3-4 game 1st round exit.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    First off it ISN"T the start of the SECOND HALF. Its the last 40 %. The season is about 60 % over. Baseball is on average of 12 games into the SECOND HALF. So that means 2-3 less starts for pitchers. 40-50 less at bats for hitters. That makes a huge. difference.

Porcello 18 wins Thats 5 more than I thought he would have.
    Cabrera 24 hrs Thats 16 less that I thought he would have.
    Martinez 27 hrs Thats 12 more than I thought he would have.
    Kinslar gets over 200 hits
    Davis 40 steals but they may not all be with the Tigers
    Tigers finish 91 wins . And thats stretching it. To win 100 games they would have to go 47-24 . That is NOT going to happen.

So far this team has exceded my expectations . Still 71 games to be played. That's 2 1/2 months . Hopefully we can pull away and not have a Sept. like we had a few years back when we lost a 7 game lead in Sept. to the Twins.
    God dammit Jack! That's why he put quotes!

That said, I think we'll have a fine second half. We had a pretty good first half and I think the team needed this all star break. I know baseball isn't nearly as strenuous as other sports, but I believe there was a time where the Tigers played something like 40 games in 43 days or something like that. That is a lot. I think that contributed to some of the stumbles that we saw.

Also, I don't really know exactly what these guys stats are going to end up like, but I think Kins AND Miggy will get to 200 hits. Kins is on pace and Miggy is just behind the pace. All he needs is a couple of 3 hit games and he's on pace. Remember, to us he looks like a broken version of himself, but the guy is still killing the ball. (leading the league in doubles)

Davis isn't getting traded...just not happening. He is one of our biggest offensive weapons and I truly believe he will be a HUGE weapon in the playoffs. We don't have a strong enough outfield to get rid of him anyway. We need to extra guys for injury purposes.

I hope to see us win the best record in the AL. It's totally possible too...the biggest problem is that we don't play the A's any more and they KILL everyone else. Our biggest hope is that the Angles can cause them some problems.

We'll have a 95 win season.

For the record, fangraphs has us projected to win 92 games
    http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts...tion=Standings
    Last edited by lizardking13; 07-17-2014 at 10:29 AM.

2013 Lions forum rookie poster of the year!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Dirks was hurt again and was pulled from his rehab. I don't think he plays for the Tigers this year. I'm more on the Jack and LFLOL side for 2nd half predicitions. 88-92 wins at best with a lot of peaks and valleys. If JV doesn't right the ship this team is a 3-4 game 1st round exit.
    Dirks is done for the year. Back injuries are things you don't mess around with.

2013 Lions forum rookie poster of the year!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Really... I had "second half" in quotations in the text box

vCash
    Last I knew 81 games was half a season
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    Not having Dirks hurts our chances of getting a quality pitcher. With the season Davis is having it would have made sense to move him for pitching and still have Dirks as a fourth outfielder. With lots of teams looking for bullpen help I can't imagine we have anybody in the minors that will get us a solid player. Funny. A few years ago many of you didn't want to move Turner. According to many of you he was going to be a solid # 2 or # 3. Guess we know how that worked out. My point is with that statement. If its going to help get us into the playoffs and possibly to a WS make a trade with any minor leaguer in the system.

Prediction
    Austin Jackson and Avila will combine for 150 K's the last 71 games of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso_Smith View Post
    Really... I had "second half" in quotations in the text box
    I thought it was clear as day Not really an issue anyway imo but I put the quotations around the thread title to hopefully clear the "issue".

Jack, We all recognize that its not really the second half but baseball recognizes it as such. If this is such a pain for you to deal with please consult MLB about it. We are going to continue to call it the second half because that's how it is recognized year in and out, whether it is right or wrong. So my advice is to deal with it or ignore it.

vCash
    It isn't a problem for me. But people say it like there is 81 games left and even try to say things like he hit 15 hrs in the first half I expect 15 in the second half. The best answer I can give to you is read my quote on the bottom of my posts. That pretty much says it all.
    And just want to add . For years and years people would say RBIs. As in Runs Batted Ins. In recent years it seems people are starting to realize that and are saying RBI . Even the term Ribbys doesn't seem to be used as much.These terms have been used for a long time and it does take time for people to change.Just because MLB says it doesn't mean its right. Maybe MLB will realize the ASB ISN"T the end of the FIRST HALF .

vCash
    RBIs used to bug me too, but it sounds better in a sentence than "he has 72 RBI so far this year" even though it's technically correct. Although you could also consider it "Run Batted In" so putting the s at the end could work even though that's awkward as hell too. You wouldn't be saying Run Batted Ins, but simply pluralizing "RBI" without changing the root definition.

Also, I cracked up when I saw Jack correct someone about "second half", that's a yearly ritual lol. When lizard made the first "half" thread I was going to jokingly post it being a good thing using the quotation marks because he might come in and correct it. Didn't want to ruffle and feathers though, not picking on ya Jack, it's just funny to me

vCash
    Lets get back on topic before this thread goes down like the Titanic. If Dirks is out for the season, they won't have an extra left handed bat. I think this could be problematic in the playoffs against Oakland. Maybe not, but I would like to see a left handed bench bat added. How about going to get Dunn from the ChiSox to be a late inning pinch hitter. Obviously Chicago would have to eat a lot of salary, but he could be a good addition. I would much rather have his bat up in game 7 of the world series in the 8th or 9th inning than Romine, Davis, or Castellanos (for now I mention Nick)

vCash
    Ehhh Idk about Dunn. At least with Davis you have a chance with his speed beating out a throw to first. Adam Dunn doesn't do much anymore outside the rare home run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast