Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Idea: Legends Clause

Just heard this on my local radio and i think it actually would work well. I've modified it to make it make sense.

If you're a player that has been on your team for consecutive years 8 years, either by draft or trade, you have the option of resigning that player to a legends clause if he's a free agent.

You are restricted to only one legend on your team. (Or call it the Franchise Player/Clause)

When you resign him, his contract only counts to a percentage of the cap, let's say 50% to start. So someone like Kobe who is getting 28, he'd only count as 14. Dirk could've signed for 16 instead of 8 mil. So they get paid that money but the team is only capped half

If that player is traded, the new team is capped the full price.

this would allow teams to pay those hometown players more money but be able to keep them on the team, which would lower movement and make a player want to stay and also allow the team to build around them.

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash
    Mark Willard

vCash
    no thanks.

Kobe should have not been selfish.

I hope he does not dare to complain bout lakers not being competitive, because His greed has been one of the top reasons that the team is a failure, and im not only talking bout the mamouth contract.

vCash
    Lol no we don't need a Kobe clause. If he is too greedy and puts his team in a ****** position between paying him way too much for little to no production or losing him it's the players/teams fault.

vCash
    nope,the lakers should have to live with their mistake

vCash
    It makes sense. Almost too much sense

vCash
    Not sure how much I like it tbh. look at this summer for example, all of these teams couldn't offer carmello as much, this only makes it more difficult to pry players away/attract them to your team.

This could be a good thing or a bad thing.

If you believe players should stay with an organization throughout there career, and that this is better for the league, then yeah it makes sense.

If you believe that players should be able to move around and "do whats best for their situation", then this makes this more difficult.

I guess I think it is ultimately better for players to stick around with their organizations, but this makes the decision to leave that much harder. Again, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Look at lebron joining the heat. He could have stayed with the cavs and perhaps had enough cap space to attract a good free agent with the extra money. However, would the league really be better off if the heat didn't come together? I sure as hell enjoyed rooting against them and i know the revenue during their time together was big for the league.
    "We got to win. Win no matter what. Trip, kick somebody, fight, bite. Whatever. Win."
    - Derrick Rose

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mRc08 View Post
    Not sure how much I like it tbh. look at this summer for example, all of these teams couldn't offer carmello as much, this only makes it more difficult to pry players away/attract them to your team.

This could be a good thing or a bad thing.

If you believe players should stay with an organization throughout there career, and that this is better for the league, then yeah it makes sense.

If you believe that players should be able to move around and "do whats best for their situation", then this makes this more difficult.

I guess I think it is ultimately better for players to stick around with their organizations, but this makes the decision to leave that much harder. Again, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Look at lebron joining the heat. He could have stayed with the cavs and perhaps had enough cap space to attract a good free agent with the extra money. However, would the league really be better off if the heat didn't come together? I sure as hell enjoyed rooting against them and i know the revenue during their time together was big for the league.
    I don't think he was 8 years in at that point.

Plus imagine all the short term contracts that would happen just so players could get to that 8 year mark. I think this idea is not a good one at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    no thanks.

Kobe should have not been selfish.

I hope he does not dare to complain bout lakers not being competitive, because His greed has been one of the top reasons that the team is a failure, and im not only talking bout the mamouth contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    Lol no we don't need a Kobe clause. If he is too greedy and puts his team in a ****** position between paying him way too much for little to no production or losing him it's the players/teams fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    nope,the lakers should have to live with their mistake

You guys are thinking about Kobe and the Lakers for no reason at all. By the time the next CBA is drafted and this rule could be implemented, Kobe will be retired. So stop with the Kobe jealousy and think rationally.

This is a good idea especially for small market teams that want to keep their players. And its good for the players as well. Dirk should not be guilted into a salary that is almost equal to Jodie Meeks. The Mavs should be able to pay Dirk what he is worth and not be punished for it. Same with Duncan, and yes same with Kobe.

I think that OKC would like to franchise tag KD when his time is up. They should be able to pay him the money he deserves with the option of being able to build around him.

Lebron has already played 7 seasons with the Cavs and should be eligible for the "legends clause" he should get his max money and the Cavs should be able to have room under the cap to put other players around him.

I really think this should be put in place in the next CBA.
    Last edited by DODGERS&LAKERS; 07-16-2014 at 08:14 PM.

vCash
    It's gonna be real fun, when some players want HUUUGGGEE contracts when they know that they will be halved on the cap hit.

Side note, I don't think this is a horrible idea, but I think it would probably have to come along with a removal of the Salary Cap. Cause it kinda opens up the idea of trying to reward players for their loyalty... soon enough the Players Union will make arguments that guys like Lebron (obviously he didn't spend 8 years in one spot, but if he had), or Durant has had a huge impact on their team and market, and they should reward them for ALL of their efforts.

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

vCash
    It makes some amount of sense, but just the basic idea, not what you laid out in the slightest

something like only 75-90% counts towards the cap if they stay with the same team for 8 years and have already received at least 5-7 contract years of max pay FROM THAT TEAM, just might be fair. If it was as low as 75% there would probably also need to be a stipulation of the new contract being a max as well

anything more lenient than that would be completely stupid plain and simple,, but something along those lines might be an ok idea

vCash
    I actually like the basic idea. I say that if a player has played 8 years with a team consecutively then no matter what he makes, the maximum he counts salary cap wise and luxury tax calculation wise is $15 mil. That makes it easier for teams to keep their stars because it's easier to build around them at that reduced rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    i like this idea and had thought of something similar but i don't think 50% makes sense. IMO every team should have one player who only the first 20 mil of his salary counts against the cap. in melo's case he wouldn't have had to take a paycut to keep the flexibility and this way you wouldn't have 4 superstars on one team still. the player's cap would still be at a max, but if he provides that much value to his team, he shouldn't have to choose between being compensated and staying competitive.

vCash
    A much better idea than a franchise tag. This would help keep players like Durant in OKC. Imagine if they could cut his salary in half for cap and luxury tax purposes. Perhaps they wouldn't have traded Harden. The Harden trade was obviously made with luxury tax in the back of the owners mind.

I know the first thing that jumps to many peoples' mind is Kobe, but it could help small market teams keep homegrown talent as well.

vCash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast