Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Current 2014-15 Roster Thoughts

I wasn't sure where this should fit in the threads so move it if you need to administrators.

In looking at our current roster my first thoughts are is it better than last years roster and what are the advantages of the FA signings?

One, I do think it's better than last years roster. Enough so that I think we contend for a playoff spot. I really like the additions by subtractions we made also. No more Stuckey and Charlie V, no more (as if he was an addition anyway) Billups makes us a better team. They became more distractions than help.

The backcourt of Jennings and Meeks I like much better than any combination we had last year. Being able to start Butler may not seem great but he plays good defense and can spread the defense out because of his outside shot. This will be beneficial over what we did last year. The biggest strength over last year is the bench. We can now roll a second unit of Augustin, KCP, Singler, Smith, and either Monroe/Drummond with them. That is far beyond anything we could have put on the floor last year. Oh, and yes, I really do think that SVG will get Smith to play off the bench if we sign Monroe. Seriously, does he have a choice? SVG is THE man and I'm dang glad they did that just for occassions like this.

The advantage I see, or the biggest plus, in the FA signings we made is that we have some possible trade bait during the season. Really, the only untouchables are Drummond and possibly Monroe. Everyone else is reasonably priced (barring Smith) and can be a very nice bench addition for playoff bound teams with a better chance than us. If someone needs a PG we have the expensive 1st round version in Jennings or the lower cost version in Augustin. Meeks, Butler, and Singler all offer some value to teams also. Even Smith might be an option for another team come the trade deadline. My one hope is that SVG looks long term and isn't going to hold onto guys other than the two big guys. Joe never jumped when he should have in trading players. Lets hope SVG plans it out a little better.

What do you think of the roster?

vCash
    With the roster as of now I'm still not sure we make the playoffs although I like we didn't over spend on anybody yet.

Bulls/Cavs are the clear favorites imo.

Heat/Raptors/Wizards/Hornets are the next best group.

Pacers/Knicks/Nets/Hawks/Pistons are in contention for the final spots.

The East did get stronger this off season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    I wasn't sure where this should fit in the threads so move it if you need to administrators.

In looking at our current roster my first thoughts are is it better than last years roster and what are the advantages of the FA signings?

One, I do think it's better than last years roster. Enough so that I think we contend for a playoff spot. I really like the additions by subtractions we made also. No more Stuckey and Charlie V, no more (as if he was an addition anyway) Billups makes us a better team. They became more distractions than help.

The backcourt of Jennings and Meeks I like much better than any combination we had last year. Being able to start Butler may not seem great but he plays good defense and can spread the defense out because of his outside shot. This will be beneficial over what we did last year. The biggest strength over last year is the bench. We can now roll a second unit of Augustin, KCP, Singler, Smith, and either Monroe/Drummond with them. That is far beyond anything we could have put on the floor last year. Oh, and yes, I really do think that SVG will get Smith to play off the bench if we sign Monroe. Seriously, does he have a choice? SVG is THE man and I'm dang glad they did that just for occassions like this.

The advantage I see, or the biggest plus, in the FA signings we made is that we have some possible trade bait during the season. Really, the only untouchables are Drummond and possibly Monroe. Everyone else is reasonably priced (barring Smith) and can be a very nice bench addition for playoff bound teams with a better chance than us. If someone needs a PG we have the expensive 1st round version in Jennings or the lower cost version in Augustin. Meeks, Butler, and Singler all offer some value to teams also. Even Smith might be an option for another team come the trade deadline. My one hope is that SVG looks long term and isn't going to hold onto guys other than the two big guys. Joe never jumped when he should have in trading players. Lets hope SVG plans it out a little better.

There is more talent on the roster and as you point out, some trade opportunities if the door is knocked on.

Don't think Butler starts. Happy with Meeks in the backcourt, but given the signings of Butler, C. Martin and Meeks along with Singler to open up the floor, don't think Jennings is that guy.

I think part of Joe not jumping has to be the sale. Some transactions that could have been made in 2009/2010 as we were beginning to slide were hampered because he couldn't make deals. Not saying things would have turned out drastically different, but if people know you can't deal they don't bother calling.

As for contending for a spot, we have more talent, but so do many other teams that were just ahead of us or the most obvious, Cleveland. Charlotte upgraded. I think Milw is disfunctional, but could surprise.

I think the biggest upgrade is SVG. He's da man and he's got a contract longer than any player and the pedigree to tell people to STFU and sit down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post

Not too thrilled with the changes yet, although picking up shooters will make a difference. I just don't see Monroe or Smith being content coming off the bench. One needs to go. Did you see the Pacers are interested in Stuckey? http://sportsglory.com/nba/pacers-lo...-stuckey/23272

vCash
    Nothing is all that different in Det. We pretty much have the same squad we burned out with last season. We simply cant be a championship team with Jennings at pg. Det desperately needs to get to the bottom of the Smith BS.

- Losing Stuckey is no big deal if KCP starts and plays D like he should. Jennings is the type of player who should be on a team that management is rebuilding and is expecting to miss the playoffs a few years in a row so Jennings can put up 25fg's a night and draw a crowd. I think Smith is kind of a bone head and is not capable of of make smart plays down the stretch where as Monroe is cerebral and is successful strictly on out thinking his defenders.

-We dont need Smiths athleticism down low, Det needs to contrast Dre's athleticism with Monroe's polar opposite style of advanced thinking. I think Monroe really wants to play with Dre but wants to play with Smith even less.

vCash
    Still a middle of the pack roster in the East, at best. We'll have to see how these guys work with SVG but I definitely like the fact we got some players that can actually ****ing shoot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    With the roster as of now I'm still not sure we make the playoffs although I like we didn't over spend on anybody yet.

Bulls/Cavs are the clear favorites imo.

Heat/Raptors/Wizards/Hornets are the next best group.

Pacers/Knicks/Nets/Hawks/Pistons are in contention for the final spots.

The East did get stronger this off season.
    I think we will have to wait until the Monroe saga plays out, but yeah the East got a major makeover.
    LeBron James to the Cavs guarantees they will be better than us, Rose is coming back, Pacers fall a bit due to Stephenson but Hornets cash in on their lost. Wizards are improving as well. The Knicks can finally comfortably build around Melo, etc.

Regardless of what happens with Monroe(resigns or get quality value back) we will be toward the bottom of the conference, if they fully buy into SVG system we can contend for those last two spots in the East.

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    If Waddle doesn't get the starting gig I'm outta here. I will never post again.

vCash
    So it appears what we're all thinking is:

1 - someone must really improve - KCP or Dinwiddie or a surprise

or

2 - Dre' better blow up into the next Shaq

vCash
    People are foolish to think that we won't be able to compete with any team out there. Our two clear issues last season were shooting and the lack of a legitimate coach or voice of guidance. We now have both in this off-season. We were somewhat competing last season with all teams but our weaknesses showed.

And lets not forget, we have Andre Drummond. Eventually he is going to burst onto the scene and be a major factor for this squad. Give him some room to work down low and overpower his defenders and I think everyone will be surprised in his offensive game.

MONROE UNTOUCHABLE LOL?

NBA'S Next Most Dominant Big Man
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvryuQDtWA
    FIND ME ON TWITTER @pistons_talk

vCash
    This whole "East is stronger" notion is ridiculous to me. No one knew the East would implode, that teams would go from being "playoff Locks" to bottom feeders. Hell, I was the only one I can remember who thought the Knicks weren't a playoff team. Regardless, no one knows who else will implode next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ACanadian View Post
    Nope Val shot better from the FT line, that cancels out all other stats.
    Toronto fan on why JVal is better than Drummond.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBadBoy View Post
    People are foolish to think that we won't be able to compete with any team out there. Our two clear issues last season were shooting and the lack of a legitimate coach or voice of guidance. We now have both in this off-season. We were somewhat competing last season with all teams but our weaknesses showed.

And lets not forget, we have Andre Drummond. Eventually he is going to burst onto the scene and be a major factor for this squad. Give him some room to work down low and overpower his defenders and I think everyone will be surprised in his offensive game.

MONROE UNTOUCHABLE LOL?
    No: our biggest issue was chemistry; if you think Meeks is gona come in here and turn this franchise around then you got another thing coming

vCash
    A good coach can solve chemistry issues. We picked up all high-character guys this off-season, which is great for chemistry. We were beating playoff teams last season on their home courts (Miami, Chicago, Indy, Washington, etc..) and we played a thriller against OKC the very last game of the season. We split the season series with the Spurs in which we held Timmy to -21 and Parker to -18 for the game we won. Of course, playoff time is different but we showed we could compete with the top teams.

SVG has added better fitting pieces to which was supposed to be a playoff team last season. Replacing Stuckey with Meeks is a huge plus. Getting proven wing scorers is a huge plus. Getting legit bench players is a huge plus. Lastly, SVG to run the show this year should show a clear difference in organization, strategy, and adjustments on the court.

NBA'S Next Most Dominant Big Man
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvryuQDtWA
    FIND ME ON TWITTER @pistons_talk

vCash
    We aren't even close to having the same squad as last year. We changed up our roster a lot

vCash

Current 2014-15 Roster Thoughts

I feel good about our roster honestly, mainly because we finally have a damn head coach. No one knows how we are going to do... But i'll go on a hunch and say that we are going to play better than last year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    We aren't even close to having the same squad as last year. We changed up our roster a lot
    Seriously? You lost a lot of credibility w me just now, Rocket. 9 of our 12 are holdovers from last year. Face palm big time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast