Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 763
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,990
    vCash
    1500

    Mets 2014 Prospects Listings Part Deux

    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/...e-2014-sickels

    14) Noah Syndergaard, RHP, New York Mets (18): Has had some rough spots but holding steady overall.

    46) Rafael Montero, RHP, New York Mets (46): Holding steady.

    60) Kevin Plawecki, C, Mets (NR): Grade B pre-season and almost made the list then.

    61) Brandon Nimmo, OF, New York Mets (109): Slow start in Double-A but he’s maintained command of the strike zone and I think he’ll come around.

    Others considered:

    Wilmer Flores, INF, Mets

    Steven Matz, LHP, Mets

    Dilson Herrera, INF, Mets

    Dominic Smith, 1B, Mets

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    53,758
    vCash
    1500
    Don't see how Montero is a Top 100 guy at this point.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    12,791
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Don't see how Montero is a Top 100 guy at this point.
    Has he really fallen that far?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    53,758
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Has he really fallen that far?
    Just my personal opinion. I was never super high on him to begin with, and now he's having control issues.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,587
    vCash
    1500
    I think having Plawecki makes Travis pretty expendable.
    'Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shi*

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    53,758
    vCash
    1500

    Mets 2014 Prospects Listings Part Deux

    Quote Originally Posted by Greet View Post
    I think having Plawecki makes Travis pretty expendable.
    I see it as the other way around.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,587
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I see it as the other way around.
    Plawecki is the safer bet to be a solid starting catcher for years. Travis obviously has more potential, but he's not as safe of a bet.
    'Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shi*

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,901
    vCash
    1500
    Short hops

    • First-round pick Michael Conforto is due to head to Los Angeles for Thursday’s Golden Spikes Award. Conforto, who officially signed on Friday after a standout career as an outfielder at Oregon State, is one of three finalists for the award, which goes to the nation’s top amateur player. The winner will be revealed on “SportsCenter.” The other finalists are LSU right-hander Aaron Nola (selected seventh overall by Philadelphia) and Kentucky left-hander/infielder A.J. Reed (a second-round pick by Houston). Conforto is due to rejoin the Brooklyn Cyclones on Friday and should make his professional debut shortly thereafter.

    Matt Reynolds has continued his offensive surge since a promotion to Triple-A. In 24 Pacific Coast League games, the former second-round pick out of Arkansas is hitting .337/.389/.453. Not known for being accomplished defensively, Mets personnel nonetheless say he is showing better range at shortstop than Ruben Tejada and Omar Quintanilla possess. That’s not a terribly high bar, but suggests he may be viable at the position in the majors.

    Allan Dykstra, who won Monday’s Triple-A Home Run Derby in Durham, N.C., topped a familiar face in the finals. Former Mets minor-league teammate Francisco Pena finished as the runner-up.

    Pena, a catcher like his All-Star father Tony Pena, left the Mets last offseason as a minor-league free agent and signed with Kansas City. The 24-year-old Pena made his major league debut on May 20, catching the final inning, but was returned to Triple-A Omaha without a plate appearance. He did throw out the first would-be base stealer against him. His father formerly managed the Royals and his brother Tony Jr. played there. He is hitting .254 with a career-high 18 homers and 40 RBIs in 205 PCL at-bats this season.

    Dykstra will serve as the PCL’s DH for Wednesday’s Triple-A All-Star Game.

    • The Eastern League All-Star Game also will be played Wednesday night. Representing Binghamton at Altoona, Pa.: infielder Brian Burgamy, outfielder Kyle Johnson and right-handers Cody Satterwhite and Jon Velasquez.

    • Left-hander Blake Taylor, the player-to-be-named acquired from Pittsburgh with Zack Thornton in the April 18 trade for Ike Davis, has been promoted from the Gulf Coast League to Kingsport. Taylor, who turns 19 on Aug. 17, made three GCL appearances. In 10 2/3 innings, he allowed two unearned runs and one hit while walking seven and hitting a batter. In his K-Mets debut Monday, Taylor was pulled one out into the third inning. He was charged with four earned runs on six hits and two walks.

    • Binghamton right fielder Travis Taijeron has been named Eastern League Player of the Week. For the week ending Sunday, the 25-year-old Taijeron hit .400 (8-for-20) with three homers and 10 RBIs and had a league-leading .900 slugging percentage. The former 18th-round pick out of Cal Poly Pomona is hitting .251 with 11 homers and 46 RBIs in 227 at-bats this season with the B-Mets.

    • Binghamton reliever Hamilton Bennett, 26, was released by the organization last week. The former 29th-round pick in 2010 out of Tennessee Wesleyan College had produced a 3.38 ERA in 10 appearances with Double-A Binghamton this season. A Mets official said the release came at Bennett’s request.

    Montero is nearing a return to Vegas. He tossed four scoreless innings for Class A St. Lucie on Monday. Five days earlier he had logged two innings in the Gulf Coast League. Montero had been sidelined since leaving a Triple-A start on June 14 after only five pitches with a strained left oblique.

    • Catcher Ali Sanchez, right-hander Adonis Uceta and infielder/catcher Victor Moscote represent the Mets on the Dominican Summer League All-Star team.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    53,758
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Greet View Post
    Plawecki is the safer bet to be a solid starting catcher for years. Travis obviously has more potential, but he's not as safe of a bet.
    I disagree. Travis has more power, more bat speed, and has shown he can draw walks.

    I mean he completely tore up AAA, and he's carried it with him back to the big leagues. I believe in him more than I do Plawecki.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,901
    vCash
    1500
    Travis is an overall better player, but can he avoid another concussion?

    Teams are going to want either one, because catchers with their hitting pedigree don't come around that often.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,901
    vCash
    1500
    Matt Reynolds has continued his offensive surge since a promotion to Triple-A. In 24 Pacific Coast League games, the former second-round pick out of Arkansas is hitting .337/.389/.453. Not known for being accomplished defensively, Mets personnel nonetheless say he is showing better range at shortstop than Ruben Tejada and Omar Quintanilla possess. That’s not a terribly high bar, but suggests he may be viable at the position in the majors.
    The last time I read that was with the den Dekker/Lagares comparison.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    6,026
    vCash
    1500

    Mets 2014 Prospects Listings Part Deux

    Yeah Pelwecki is trade bait with Travis finding his groove

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    12,791
    vCash
    1500

    Mets 2014 Prospects Listings Part Deux

    If Travis keeps up his current success and authoritative contact, I'd definitely keep him over Plawecki.

    I always feel as if Travis has Lucroy-esque potential while Plawecki is a safer bet but has Jaso-esque potential. Both are good catchers but Lucroy is obviously better. Do you want to live your life playing scratch offs and probably winning your money back or going for the mega millions jackpot? (Okay this was an awful analogy but you get the point.)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,901
    vCash
    1500
    Dilson Herrera
    Well a lot of the research here was done when the sample size in Double-A was less than 10 games. He’s up to 23 now and still hitting. He’d be in the 80s right now, but if he maintains this and if the reports are good (the only report I had dated back to early April) he would be in the top 75 at the end of the year and it is plausible that he would be in the Top 50.

    by John Sickels on Jul 15, 2014


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    16,334
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Dilson Herrera
    Well a lot of the research here was done when the sample size in Double-A was less than 10 games. He’s up to 23 now and still hitting. He’d be in the 80s right now, but if he maintains this and if the reports are good (the only report I had dated back to early April) he would be in the top 75 at the end of the year and it is plausible that he would be in the Top 50.

    by John Sickels on Jul 15, 2014
    Thanks Sandy!
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

    Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •