Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The Myth of Daryl Morey's Genius

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/the-...d-3df16d8b754a

THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD: Daryl Morey’s greatest fleecing as a GM? Selling the media and public on Daryl Morey.

"The question is long overdue, but it arguably has never been more timely: When will the myth of Daryl Morey’s genius finally end?

Last weekend, the Dallas Mavericks outmaneuvered the Houston Rockets’ supposed wunderkind GM, structuring their offer to coveted restricted free agent small forward Chandler Parsons such that Morey was forced to blink. Morey, in the process of explaining Houston’s decision not to match, somewhat derisively deemed the contract “untradeable,” even as it conjured memories of the recent deals for Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik that Morey tailored in Houston’s favor."

"Compounding the loss of their young, dynamic, marketable player (his nickname, “Chandsome,” tells a story in itself), the Rockets could have kept Parsons at the bargain price of $960,000 for the 2014-15 season, but they declined a team option so as to avoid letting the 25-year-old hit the market next summer as an unrestricted free agent.

In short, the Rockets lost Parsons because they strategized specifically not to lose him — a confounding turn of events."

A brilliant article exposing Morey as a media-savvy sociopath who has sold his brand and his cult of personality to a largely gullible audience...

vCash
    Morey is goat
    7 Rec, 69 YD, 1TD

vCash
    When players are constantly being traded it makes it a much less attractive place to go to. Essentially the anti-Spurs. It's a shame how it ended up and it looks like the Howard, Harden duo may not go very far in the playoffs anytime soon.

vCash
    Alright, we get it, you don't like Morey. No need to create another thread.

vCash
    Interesting. It's tough to build a winner in this league and every GM is going to have some red marks on their record, understandably. However, this is pretty bad. Classic mistake made from over thinking or trying or trying to outsmart the situation instead of just sticking to protocol.

vCash
    wow..you REALLY think Parsons is the 2nd coming of MJ don't you? you do know what Morey could've very easily matched Parsons if he wanted to right? you know why he didn't?

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...tradeable-ever

“They obviously wanted to get him. That structure of that [contract] is literally one of the most untradeable structures that I’ve ever seen. That’s why it came down to a bet of Harden, Howard and Parsons being the final piece, because we would have had no ability to do anything after that. And Harden, Howard, Parsons could have been good enough. I think Parsons is a tremendous player and is going to keep getting better.

The question is, is it better with that core or is it better with Ariza plus the hundreds of moves that might be able to upgrade us in the other scenario. And there’s really no moving -- that core was going to be the core that we had to have, because if we ever wanted to move off and go after the other stars, if we ever wanted to go after a different core, it wasn’t going to be possible. A small-market team that might want a Chandler, he can opt out and leave, so they wouldn’t want him. A big-market team that’s planning for free agency, maybe for the elite free agents coming up in the future, he can opt in. There’s a trade bonus in there. Even if the cap is going to go up likely, we’re just guessing likely significantly in the future, his trade bonus makes his contract go up in lockstep with that.

“I’ve seen some speculation, OK, that we could just do this and just move on to something else if it didn’t work. The reality is that we couldn’t. This would have been our team. That would have been the team that we had and we had to be on bet on. We had to bet on that team or all the multitude of options we could have generated in the other scenario.”
    tl,dr? Morey felt like Parsons is good but not "star level" good, and he felt like Parsons' impact could be easily replaced with Ariza at a far lower cost. plus Morey likes his flexibility and did not want to be stuck with a core of two superstars + a role player so he decided to let Mavs have that role player and let Mavs be the ones that's stuck with two stars + a role player. with Dirk aging, the Mavs are going as far as Monta and Parsons take them. for your team's sake, I hope Parsons turns into the superstar defensive juggernaut you think he will be...or else Mavs will be 1st round fodder every year and Dirk will retired without another championship.
    Last edited by FOBolous; 07-16-2014 at 01:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    He stuck out badly this offseason

CARMELOOOOOOO ANTHONYYYYYY!!!

vCash
    I don't know why he was called a genius anyhow. Lin and Asik were bad contracts then, he was just being praised because his moves were against the grain. Which is nice, shaking up the tired old tradition of basketball contracts of just getting the most money.

In this case, it pulled away two restricted free agents by overpaying for them. Which is nice, but they overpaid and have to suffer those consequences of overpaying for not one, but two players on their roster. Still, they were able to get Dwight Howard, which I still think is the best move they could have made, but that just highlights the error of overpaying for Asik.

I think Harden is an overrated player, I am not big on that trade for houston.

I really don't like losing Parsons though. If you want a championship, you need players like Parsons.

He may not be a star because he hasn't been first or second banana on a team, but his game is high level. He could be a star, or he would be a star roleplayer.

I think Dallas is putting together an interesting team.
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    Even Mchale is pissed at morey: "we'll have flexibiity next year, but flexibility doesn't score baskets..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSdF9idE6vg

Coaches, former players, current players, the media, fellow GM's, are all piling on. The fraud is being exposed...

vCash
    You don't give up, do you? Why wasn't this in the Daryl Morey thread?

Mods, you've been so quick to delete Rockets fans posts and ban a guy for arguing with this relentless troll, why don't you merge this with the Morey thread?

vCash
    We all know the analytics driven agenda behind the Morey genius myth but come on man. Quit kicking the Rockets fans bee hive, you know this is a sensitive time. Lol

vCash
    Morey gets an F for this offseason. A for last year and B plus for the Harden season. Someone pointed out in the other thread that he needs a Brad Pitt to go with his Jonah Hill advanced stats thing and herein lies the rub. Dallas didn't have a "great" offseason...they had to overpay for Parsons. Morey's blunder was losing Parsons for nothing. It's revisionist history now with fans that thought he was great are now saying he's overrated. He was a promising young player with a lot of upside....if you're Morey and you decide to go the restricted free agent route than you better be prepared to match... what does he do, he chases other free agents while rubbing his own the wrong way. Other GMs are better at the human element and might have massaged Parsons ego a bit.... and if Morey is now defending his decision then he should have at least traded Parsons and gotten some kind of asset for him. The team is worse than last year. Lin is the scapegoat and gets heavily criticized...but I didn't exactly see the other Rocket players beside Howard show up. Lin had a big game that helped win a crucial game, more than I can say for some of the other Rockets. And, Asik is a very useful player--strong rebounder, talented big man. The constantly turning the team over also doesn't go unnoticed by other players around the league. Morey seems like a trigger happy guy that doesn't even look at his players like they are human beings---merely assets. You look at the Spurs and they seem to make smart strategic moves that add chemistry to their team, stealing Kawhi from the Pacers and finding these gems from overseas or complementary players from other teams like Diaw. When you treat players like assets, they are less likely to sacrifice their contracts or you're going to have to overpay to get them here. It seems like Morey is better as a right hand man to do some of that advanced stat type thinking and have a separate guy be the schmoozer and big picture thinker (someone who has played a lot of basketball and knows how to win). You can do advanced stats all day long but sometimes a real sports guy can see the intangibles of talent and winning or knows how to talk to players---this is a huge ego game. GMs that don't learn that lesson will always be shocked when their perfectly laid plans go awry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_c View Post
    https://medium.com/the-cauldron/the-...d-3df16d8b754a

THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD: Daryl Morey’s greatest fleecing as a GM? Selling the media and public on Daryl Morey.

"The question is long overdue, but it arguably has never been more timely: When will the myth of Daryl Morey’s genius finally end?

Last weekend, the Dallas Mavericks outmaneuvered the Houston Rockets’ supposed wunderkind GM, structuring their offer to coveted restricted free agent small forward Chandler Parsons such that Morey was forced to blink. Morey, in the process of explaining Houston’s decision not to match, somewhat derisively deemed the contract “untradeable,” even as it conjured memories of the recent deals for Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik that Morey tailored in Houston’s favor."

"Compounding the loss of their young, dynamic, marketable player (his nickname, “Chandsome,” tells a story in itself), the Rockets could have kept Parsons at the bargain price of $960,000 for the 2014-15 season, but they declined a team option so as to avoid letting the 25-year-old hit the market next summer as an unrestricted free agent.

In short, the Rockets lost Parsons because they strategized specifically not to lose him — a confounding turn of events."

A brilliant article exposing Morey as a media-savvy sociopath who has sold his brand and his cult of personality to a largely gullible audience...

I swear to God if I have to read one more thread about D. Morey I'm going to puke! It seems like every other thread is about him. We get it people, get a life!!! As a Rockets fan I can't stand Morey either, but let it go!!! I'm sure you can dig up some kind of trash on one of the other GM's too while you are sitting around doing nothing. By the way, the Rockets didn't lose Parsons, they let him go by not matching so they wouldn't be over the cap for God knows how long, due to overpaying Parsons. That's right I said it, Parson's isn't worth half of what he's getting paid in Dallas. AND Morey still has money to spend. You creating these threads isn't going to change the way he does things.

vCash
    Morey is a savvy GM, but he's obviously not people savvy. I liked the part where he said, "...and the hundreds of moves...", like what? Hundreds of moves? Just how many more trades are coming, Daryl?

He got outmanuevered this offseason, and a lot of us are enjoying him get his comeuppance, but at this point this is starting to get overblown. To me his biggest fault hasn't been getting outmaneuvered on the Parsons offer, as listed in the article with the trade restrictions that they knew he would loathe, but that he jumped the gun on the Lin trade expecting Bosh to follow. If you're going to gamble like that you better be sure you have it lined up or virtually do.

Tell me if you have heard this story before, player puts together his skills and talents after years of underwhelming play for the best season of his career in his last year of his contract. That offseason he gets the biggest contract of his career and then usually goes back to being the inconsistent player he was before said year. We don't know about the end result, but the first portion of that story is 100% Trevor Ariza. People are actually praising Morey for paying him 4/$32M a year at age 29? Trevor Ariza?

He's a solid player but that's it. That's just a snowball effect from the Lin trade gamble. After that and the resulting loss of Parsons he had to do something with all of that cap space. Despite that the Rockets still have one of the best duos in the NBA in Howard and Harden, they'll be OK.
    Last edited by FOXHOUND; 07-16-2014 at 02:04 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandt View Post
    I swear to God if I have to read one more thread about D. Morey I'm going to puke! It seems like every other thread is about him. We get it people, get a life!!! As a Rockets fan I can't stand Morey either, but let it go!!! I'm sure you can dig up some kind of trash on one of the other GM's too while you are sitting around doing nothing. By the way, the Rockets didn't lose Parsons, they let him go by not matching so they wouldn't be over the cap for God knows how long, due to overpaying Parsons. That's right I said it, Parson's isn't worth half of what he's getting paid in Dallas. AND Morey still has money to spend. You creating these threads isn't going to change the way he does things.
    The problem is there isn't much to spend the money on. Between Ariza's $8.6M and what's left on the market Morey is going to end up paying the $14.7M Parsons is due this year on two very average players, or one average player and a bunch of little players that are blah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast