Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Carmelo Anthony - No escape from New York

I almost always hate Bill Simmons, his opinions, and his face.
    But this article says a lot that I agree with and I thought it would be an interesting off season topic for us to discuss.

If you have the time, read it all and post your thoughts.

http://grantland.com/features/carmel...ex_cid=espnsoc

vCash
    I read it as well and it was a good read. Talked about how Melo was efficient especially considering our guard situation and lack of a second scoring option. I agree with the article and everyone should give it a read.

vCash
    I hate BS with a passion. But he did well here. We need to help melo achieve a championship.

vCash
    Melo is the same person as Olympic Melo ó the devastating shooter who shows up every two years for international competition and makes open 3 after open 3 like heís playing a pop-a-shot game. I love Olympic Melo. So do you.
    Olympic Melo in the triangle

JETS KNICKS YANKEES

vCash
    I mean, I've said a lot about melo in the past, but it all boils down to this for me.

He is on our team, we have a personnel that knows how to win, so lets get this done.
    Lets build a real winner. Whether we win this year or next or 3 years from now.

Im much more interested in the knicks taking 3 years to build a team that will compete for rings consistently, then having them try to build a team that will compete next year and only next year.

vCash
    Amazing stuff....

vCash
    First sentence I would agree with you and this article is interesting. I believe this team will flourish in the triangle and a new coach will do wonders for this squad .

vCash
    I was going to post this...great article and I agree with much of what Simmons has to say

vCash
    It is a great article. However, I still think he overrates the Bulls. I am wrong? (it probably all depends on Rose's health).

I also wonder if his review of how FA went down is true. Kind of sad if it is? If you are Phil, do you hold any bitterness? If the Knicks stike out next year you have to wonder if Phil trades Melo to rebuild.

vCash
    I've been saying this foreverrrrr

How are you expected to win when your best player is is past his prime billups and post philly AI come on

Also one thing he didn't mention is Melo suffer the same fate as lebron. His team kept making the playoffs without hitting the lottery a couple times to get young star players. Because of this they couldn't properly build a team with at least a 2nd tier star playing with Melo and Lebron
    Toney the savior

@I_am_iman
    "two very winnable games"...FOH #Knickstape #mobdeep #NYKallday

vCash

Carmelo Anthony - No escape from New York

Great read! I feel the exact same way that Simmons does. We can win a chip with him but will we get the necessary pieces to do so? That's the main issue here. I have zero doubts in his ability but he needs help.

vCash
    Good article, thanks for postin Yash

I want Melo to have success in NY, not a lot of players beating the door down to come play here, Having PJax in the background, playing in a system that can only bring out the best in him

vCash
    Read this yesterday - This is refreshing, coming from Simmons a Knick basher. This to me is the most important and glaring part:

2011 Dirk (21 games): 27.7 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.5 apg, 49-46-94%, 8.9 FTA, 25.2 PER
    2009 Melo (16 games): 27.2 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 4.1 apg, 45-36-83%, 9.0 FTA, 24.3 PER

Itís not THAT far off, right? The 2009 Nuggets were Carmeloís best team; they fell to Kobeís Lakers in Round 3 with a poor manís version of the 2011 Mavs. George Karl wasnít Carlisle. Nene and Kenyon Martin couldnít protect the rim like Chandler. They didnít have a perimeter defender anywhere close to Marionís caliber. They couldnít shoot 3s nearly as well (only 31 percent for that Lakers series). They relied way too heavily on J.R. Smith, who imploded against Kobe and got outscored 204 points to 76 points.6 Their bench consisted of Dahntay Jones, Linas Kleiza, Chris Andersen and Anthony Carter, or, as itís better known, the Pu Pu Platter Deluxe. And Meloís best teammate, Chauncey Billups, played two great rounds before turning into a human icicle against the Lakers (39.7% FG, 33.3% 3FG).

Again, in all caps Ö THATíS THE MOST TALENTED PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL TEAM THAT CARMELO ANTHONY EVER PLAYED ON.

The second-best team? You might remember them self-destructing just 14 months ago ó it was the 2013 Knicks squad that won 54 games in a lousy conference with Melo, a past-his-peak Chandler, J.R. Smith, Ray Felton, a washed-up K-Mart, Iman Shumpert, Chris Copeland, Pablo Prigioni, a hobbled Amaríe Stoudemire and the immortal Mike Woodson coaching.

Again, in all caps Ö THATíS THE SECOND-MOST TALENTED PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL TEAM THAT CARMELO ANTHONY EVER PLAYED ON.
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

So Tired of Melo Ball

vCash
    It a very good article. But stats are for losers. People focus on PPG. Points dont mean as much if you arent scoring them efficently. If you are giving up as many points as you are getting, or when your shot isnt dropping you arent working on the defensive end, or setting up teammates, etc. Can Melo win a chip? Absolutely. What the Knicks will need to do to get there, will take another 3 or 4 yrs, easy. The comparison to Dirk and the Mav's 2011 playoff run, that was more of the exception, not the norm. But for the sake of arguement Melo is a career 45% shooter in reg. season, 40% in the playoffs, Melos PPG and rebounds are about the same rg. vs. post season. Dirks numbers go up, his 47% Reg. Season vs. 46% post season. My problem w Melo is when his shot is dropping, its great. When its not he's still shooting and not giving you anything else. For a dude this good he has had too many 4/5 game and done post seasons. To place the blame on his supporting cast. Other all star players have done more w as much or less. A.I. averaged more points then Melo when they played together and they still went down in 5 games. My focus on the last few paragraphs in the article... The part that goes into how he forced his way to NY and basically forced the Knicks to gut a team w some decent pieces and draft picks. We could have just signed him, but he wanted his money. I cant knock him. But Melo has always been about getting his money and his shots which doesnt lead to championship basketball. How would Galo, Chandler or Mozgov, etc look next to Melo. Who know maybe we would have used the pieces in the Melo trade for CP3, Harden or D12, all those dudes were traded the last 3 years. I as a Knick fan felt like he should have went to Chicago. He could have gone there and got his shots/points and the other players would have done the grunt work. I wouldnt have mind doing a sign and trade. But he didnt go so it should be interesting how this all turns out.