Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Ross motivated after playoff loss

LAS VEGAS — The Toronto Raptors kept on saying it. It did not matter if it was Dwane Casey, Masai Ujiri or Kyle Lowry who was speaking. Their seven-game series against the Brooklyn Nets, the one that ended with a gut-punch of a one-point defeat on home court, was a “learning experience.”

The thing about such opportunities is you can never really know if anybody went ahead and learned anything tangible. For the Raptors, we will not start to see the answer until November, and will probably not be fully informed until next season’s playoffs are over, assuming the Raptors make it back there.

Of all of the Raptors’ pupils, Terrence Ross endured the harshest lesson. He started each of the seven games, sure, but that was more about the Raptors’ lack of options on the wing than Ross’s play. He shot just 30% from the field, averaging only 5.0 points per game. On the other end, he was exposed as scrawny by Joe Johnson. (Nobody else on the roster had an answer for Johnson, a big reason the Raptors just spent US$5-million on the thicker James Johnson.)

In other words, no Raptor had more incentive to channel his frustration into something more productive this summer than Ross.

“I think about it all of the time,” Ross said this week of the playoff series. “Yeah, it sucks.”

Accordingly, Ross has spent most of his summer following DeMar DeRozan around — first in Los Angeles, and now in Las Vegas, with the Raptors’ summer league team.

“We don’t talk about it,” DeRozan said. “But I know [the playoff series] bothers him. … He feels like he let us down. The one thing I always tell T is, ‘Don’t let adversity get you down.’ If anything, let it push you even more. That’s what’s going to make you a better player. You can tell by us just working out or when we get a chance to play five-on-five, he’s [annoyed]. That’s when I can tell it still bothers him. He can’t wait to get back on the court and redeem himself.”

Alas, the on-court action will have to wait. For now, Ross is engaging in a mental and physical overhaul of his game. Ross joked that he is on a “nice little diet,” with the purpose of gaining weight. (Anecdotally, he remains lithe.) He is working on his post game, with DeRozan saying that his fellow starter has been stealing a few of his moves.

The most important part, though, is that he is working. Ross is an undeniably promising player, given his sheer athleticism and smooth shooting stroke. At the very least, he should become a 3-and-D wing — a player who specializes as a three-point shooter and perimeter defender.

However, there had been worries that Ross was too laissez-faire for his own good. This summer has been evidence of change for the Raptors.

“He didn’t even take a full month off,” said Raptors assistant coach and summer league head coach, Jesse Mermuys. “He was lifting early on. We started basketball stuff three weeks after the season ended. He’s come into a zone a little bit. He’s a little bit more mature, a little bit more serious about basketball, and it’s showed in his development so far. Because he’s working so hard, he’s seen results. It’s opening his eyes, and now he’s working even harder.”

“I think people get caught up in bodies changing, getting physical and all that,” DeRozan added. “I think the most important thing for me was mentally, just understanding what you’ve got to do mentally, where you’ve got to take your game, your work ethic, knowing what you have to improve on. That takes a lot to understand: to constantly work on that every single day.”

Again, we will not know whether or not Ross’s work will pay off for quite some time. If the disaster against the Nets resonated with him, though, maybe the heartbreak will have been worth it.

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=sports.nationalpost.com/2014/07/11/toronto-raptors-terrence-ross-eager-for-redemption-following-disappointing-playoff-performance
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

vCash
    If the Raps are going to win 50 next season and take the next step, they need Ross to elevate his game. It's nice to see him putting in work this off - season.

What are the expectations for Ross this upcoming season?
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

vCash
    I like it. If Demar's or Amir's work ethic rubs off on him, he can be a hellva player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    If the Raps are going to win 50 next season and take the next step, they need Ross to elevate his game. It's nice to see him putting in work this off - season.

Ross & Jonas will dictate how far this team can go. their ceiling as players represent the teams ceiling as well. everyone else is who they are as players at this point. these two guys really need to step up their game..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson:28797722
    Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post

Ross & Jonas will dictate how far this team can go. their ceiling as players represent the teams ceiling as well. everyone else is who they are as players at this point. these two guys really need to step up their game..
    I agree, hopefully Val is working just as hard. I wonder if he's still going to work with Hakeem this off season.

vCash
    No ****
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Aparently jv and amir have already been working with "the dream".
    Ross got his butt handed to him in the playoffs. Imo it was great that it was brooklyn who shut him down all series. He dropped 51 on them in the regular season, so he knows now playoff time is for the big dogs. He knows that now more then anyone on this team. If im t ross im kinda pissed james johnson got signed, and all the talk of we need an upgrade at sf. If t ross is toting behind derozan lowry nd amir all summer, if he puts on 7-10 lbs, we could have a very dynamic player on the wing. 3 nd D, could be short changin him because he has shown ability to really attack the basket and i imagine that the added bulk will make him less hesitant to do it more often

vCash
    already have landry...drafting bruno & daniels and signing johnson...the pressure is on for ross to show up every night

vCash
    His and Val's development curves have been good so far. I'm really hoping for the big 3rd year leap. If both players take that leap the Raps could be a nightmare on the court.

vCash
    He better be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    His and Val's development curves have been good so far. I'm really hoping for the big 3rd year leap. If both players take that leap the Raps could be a nightmare on the court.
    i agree man. hopefully they come into their own next season and like you said we can be scary good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Ross and Val with decent backups could put a better kind of pressure on them. I like the chances of us taking another step.

This team does have potential. I am genuinely excited for the upcoming couple of seasons, nevermind just this coming one. This new management team has done a great job so far.

I like the core but I also like the depth we have. First time in a long time I have felt that way about this team. Plus I think we get better over the next couple of seasons with internal growth and upcoming cap space. Such a strange feeling to have as a Raps fan.

vCash
    Ross gonna have a breakout season. The fact it still bothers him is a good thing. Can't wait for the season. A motivated Ross with his skill set is going to be a problem. Gonna be a fun season fellas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wax_da_workman View Post
    Aparently jv and amir have already been working with "the dream".
    Ross got his butt handed to him in the playoffs. Imo it was great that it was brooklyn who shut him down all series. He dropped 51 on them in the regular season, so he knows now playoff time is for the big dogs. He knows that now more then anyone on this team. If im t ross im kinda pissed james johnson got signed, and all the talk of we need an upgrade at sf. If t ross is toting behind derozan lowry nd amir all summer, if he puts on 7-10 lbs, we could have a very dynamic player on the wing. 3 nd D, could be short changin him because he has shown ability to really attack the basket and i imagine that the added bulk will make him less hesitant to do it more often
    He dropped 51 against the Clippers, not the Nets.

vCash
    And well **** now i remember

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast