Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Bruins sign David Pastrnak to an ELC

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BOS|home

BOSTON, MA – Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today, July 15, that the club has signed defenseman Matt Bartkowski to a one-year contract and forward David Pastrnak to an entry level contract. Bartkowski’s contract is worth a cap figure of $1,250,000.

The 2013-14 campaign marked Bartkowski’s first full season with Boston, where the 26-year-old blueliner posted 18 assists with a plus-22 rating with 30 penalty minutes in 64 games. In total, Bartkowski has skated in 84 games with the Black & Gold from 2010 to 2014, racking up 20 helpers.

On May 13, 2013, Bartkowski, skating in his second NHL postseason game, potted his first NHL playoff goal against the Toronto Maple Leafs in the eventual overtime win. Six days later, Bartkowski earned his first postseason assist against the New York Rangers on a third period Brad Marchand goal.

The defenseman spent three seasons with the Providence Bruins from 2010 to 2013 (American Hockey League), where he appeared in 175 AHL games, tallying 11 goals and 58 assists.

Prior to joining Providence, Bartkowski played collegiate hockey for Ohio State University from 2008 to 2010, where he finished with 11-27=38 totals and 145 penalty minutes in 80 games. In 2008-09, he became the first Buckeyes defenseman in 10 years to be named to the CCHA All-Rookie Team.

The Pittsburgh, PA native was drafted by the Florida Panthers in the seventh round (190th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. On March 3, 2010, he was traded along with Dennis Seidenberg to Boston in exchange for Byron Bitz, Craig Weller and Tampa Bay’s 2010 second-round draft pick (Alexander Petrovic).

Pastrnak, a 6'0’’, 171-pound native of Havirov, Czech Republic, spent the majority of the 2013-14 season with Södertälje of the Swedish B League (Allsvenskan League) where he appeared in 36 games and accumulated eight goals and 16 assists for 24 points. The forward also skated in one game for the Södertälje J20 team (SuperElite) where he totaled two points with a goal and an assist.

The 18-year-old also played on the Czech Republic U18 World Junior team where he served as assistant captain, the Czech Republic U18 International Junior team, the Czech Republic U20 World Junior team, and the Czech Republic U20 International Junior team. During his time with those teams he totaled seven goals and 16 assists for 23 points in 35 games played.

In 2012-13 Pastrnak skated for Sodertalje J18 (J18 Elit and J18 Allsvenskan), Sodertalje 20 (SuperElite), Sodertalje (Allsvenskan) and the Czech Republic U18 team. Combined, the forward appeared in 69 games where he tallied 28 goals and 30 assists.

Pastrnak was drafted by the Bruins in the first round (25th overall) of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He recently attended the Bruins Development Camp in July of 2014.
    Looks like he'll be in camp come September.

After Hours album out 4/29

When you're having fun... Timeflies

vCash
    Oh man! He might make the team! That's sick

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    He's still really underweight though... he needs to add at least 15 to even be respectable lol

vCash
    They really think highly of this kid. I was at D-camp on Sunday and he looked good yet again. His backchecking is there, but his forechecking/positioning/hustle needs more work. He needs to develop a better shot. But his stick skills/agility/speed/vision is all there. He has a shot to make it out of camp, even if it's for 9 games.
    Feeling left out in society? Are you that kid? The Bruins forum can help you.

PSD's Zdeno Chara

PSD Bruins Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Yeti FTW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaiza View Post
    They really think highly of this kid. I was at D-camp on Sunday and he looked good yet again. His backchecking is there, but his forechecking/positioning/hustle needs more work. He needs to develop a better shot. But his stick skills/agility/speed/vision is all there. He has a shot to make it out of camp, even if it's for 9 games.
    How did his shot look? Everything i've read (Scouting reports, so take that as you will) have said he has a very good shot and is already a good finisher.

Excited to see what this kid can do tho. Should be fun!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    How did his shot look? Everything i've read (Scouting reports, so take that as you will) have said he has a very good shot and is already a good finisher.

Excited to see what this kid can do tho. Should be fun!
    Keep in mind I've only watched him in person once:

His shot was accurate for someone his age. The thing about him was that he didn't get his shot off in time. If he can develop a shot with a quicker release and more accuracy, the shot will be NHL ready. They will work with him on this during camp, I'm sure.

PSD's Zdeno Chara

Yeti FTW

vCash
    I've heard that his wrist shot is quite powerful too. Best case scenerio he turns into another Mats Zucarrello. I'd be pumped with that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    I've heard that his wrist shot is quite powerful too. Best case scenerio he turns into another Mats Zucarrello. I'd be pumped with that
    Best case? I think he has potential to be better than Zucarrello.

vCash
    Zucarrello is pretty good dude... that's really overeating a guy who wasn't really even a lock as a first round pick. Zucarrello is still improving himself. If he's 75% of Zucarrello the bruins did pretty good lol. Sure he could be better but he could be better than ovechkin... doesn't mean that's even the slightest bit realistic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    Best case? I think he has potential to be better than Zucarrello.
    Wait...a RW from the Czech Republic? Pastrnak is obviously the next Jagr.

vCash
    Best case scenario I see him being a Daniel Alfredsson. Remember him during his prime years? So creative with the puck on his stick, a monster of a shot, and great work ethic. That last part I'm sure Pastrnak still needs to work on, but he has all the tools to become a player like such. He really plays a Swedish style more than a Czech style.

PSD's Zdeno Chara

Yeti FTW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    Wait...a RW from the Czech Republic? Pastrnak is obviously the next Jagr.
    Exactly! Glad i have you around to make my points for me

I hate when people blow stuff out of proportion for no reason.......

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Zucarrello is pretty good dude... that's really overeating a guy who wasn't really even a lock as a first round pick. Zucarrello is still improving himself. If he's 75% of Zucarrello the bruins did pretty good lol. Sure he could be better but he could be better than ovechkin... doesn't mean that's even the slightest bit realistic.
    First off, Pastrnak was a lock to be a first round pick. He was projected in the late teens, early 20s by most mocks. The Bruins are really lucky he fell to them at 25. With his skill set, he really could have gone higher and i think his late season concussion probably dropped him to where the B's jumped all over him. Bob Mckenzie had him ranked 22 overall best player in the draft, while Button had him at 25. THN had him at 23. Hockeyprospect.com had him as high as 17. To say this kid wasn't really a lock to go first round is flat out wrong.

Anyway, Zucarrello is a good player, at 5'7'' he's a really good player, but Pastrnak definitely has more upside than Zucs. Zucarrello had a good year, but his size will always hurt him. His size will keep him from being anything more than a 3rd liner who can play on the PP and slide up and play a top 6 role every so often. Pastrnak has a similar skill set, and with his size (needs to add more weight), can easily be a top 6 player.

Also, I'm sure when Detroit took Zetterberg and Datsyuk in the late rounds of their respective drafts, they thought they were going to be top 10-15 players in the NHL, right?? You never know how a player develops. Anything is really possible. Not saying Pastrnak will develop into a top player in the league, but you really never know. The kid definitely has the skill, if he can put it all together, he could be a very good player. Only time will tell.

vCash
    The Zuccarello comparison is obviously much more realistic lol

Colborne was once Thornton, so let's not go TOO overboard