Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Repeated, extraordinary, unexplainable failures

Ok, I have been a Laker fan since before many of you were born. No franchise can be expected to be on top all of the time, but this has always been a well-run franchise. When Magic unexpectedly came down with HIV, that caught the Lakers off-guard, and they had an extended down-cycle. Even during that time-period though, they found good players like "Sedale Threat" and Anthony Peeler, who still made one proud to be a Laker fan.

After losing to Dallas in our venture for another three-peat, this franchise was on the verge of making some excellent moves to re-position ourselves. The trade to get Chris Paul was genius, as was the move to get Dwight for Bynum. Now we got screwed out of the Chris Paul deal, but after that, it's like this franchise has completely self-destructed. These are the repeated, unexplainable, extraordinary failures that have taken place since that time-point:

1) Having a team consisting of Kobe, Dwight and Pau, the opportunity to go with Phil or Brian Shaw and the triangle, and instead going with Mike Antoni who doesn't value big men, posting, or any of the strengths that this roster had. This roster was geared for big and slow, and they hire a coach who likes small and fast. WTF?

2) Acquiring Nash for multiple 1st round picks and a huge salary at 39 years old. The CBA was already done, so you knew that salary-cap was going to be an obstacle, yet you lock up a bunch of money on this guy at 39 years old. WTF?

3) After a disaster season and Dwight is unhappy, you can either bring back Phil in order to keep Dwight, or at the very least you can TRADE Dwight to get something in return. At the time there was talk that the Clippers were considering trading Blake Griffin AND Eric Bledsoe for Dwight. In hindsight, just getting Blake Griffin seems like an erotic explosion. Instead of trading Dwight for a young talent like this, or maybe a few draft picks that you lost with the Nash trade, you allow him to just walk out the door for nothing. WTF?

4) You lose Dwight, and this team is obviously too old and needs to get younger and more athletic. You have Pau as still a very valuable asset. Instead of trading Pau to get a young player and or draft picks, you hold onto him and eventually let him walk for nothing. WTF?

5) You're in a downward spiral, and it's time to decide what to do with Kobe. Instead of trading him or discussing a future plan with him that might include him taking a deal that would enable us to bring him help (ala Dirk Novitski) to try to pursue that sixth ring, you give him 24 million dollars after him missing an entire season and suffering two catastrophic injuries, thereby tying up your cap for the next two years, and basically trapping yourself into a straight-jacket. WFT?

In addition, you have the choice to "do it yourself", or allow the fiance of the co-owner (who also happens to be the greatest coach of all-time, and maybe the greatest mind in basketball history) to become part of the franchise. You not only don't allow him in, but you watch the New York Knicks court him and eventually bring him aboard. Now, not only did you lose out on him, but you just enabled the one other big stage city to become viable again. WTF?

The one thing that is NOT their doing (but is still disastrous), is the laughing stock of the league who shares your same city and arena has now become viable and a contender, with the ousting of D. Sterling.

All of these "wtf" moves have done TREMENDOUS damage to the franchise. Yes we have a great history... but what does our future look like? To me, it looks like nothing I've ever seen before as a Laker fan. It almost looks like purposeful sabotage has been done, starting with the nullified Chris Paul trade.
    Last edited by It's Maaaaaagic; 07-14-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    While everyone drools over Lebron, and ponders about who is the greatest ever, how about you come with a performance like this, when playing out of position (substituting for Kareem at center), game 6 in the finals, to win the championship, during your ROOKIE season. When you do that, come talk to me.

Magic, the greatest of all time.

vCash
    How come every thread is the same now?
    Let's make a "*****ing thread" for this type of ****.

vCash
    Another crying thread, go get a life, you know, there is a life outside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron24th View Post
    Another crying thread, go get a life, you know, there is a life outside.
    "crying thread"?

As opposed to "crying post"?

If there is a life outside, why aren't you taking your own prescription.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It's Maaaaaagic View Post
    "crying thread"?

As opposed to "crying post"?

If there is a life outside, why aren't you taking your own prescription.
    Do you want some tissue?

vCash
    Suck dick, fail, repeat. Suck dick, fail, repeat. Suck dick, fail, repeat.

vCash
    Ok, I have been a Laker fan since before many of you were born. No franchise can be expected to be on top all of the time, but this has always been a well-run franchise. When Magic unexpectedly came down with HIV, that caught the Lakers off-guard, and they had an extended down-cycle. Even during that time-period though, they found good players like "Sedale Threat" and Anthony Peeler, who still made one proud to be a Laker fan.

After losing to Dallas in our venture for another three-peat, this franchise was on the verge of making some excellent moves to re-position ourselves. The trade to get Chris Paul was genius, as was the move to get Dwight for Bynum. Now we got screwed out of the Chris Paul deal, but after that, it's like this franchise has completely self-destructed. These are the repeated, unexplainable, extraordinary failures that have taken place since that time-point:

1) Having a team consisting of Kobe, Dwight and Pau, the opportunity to go with Phil or Brian Shaw and the triangle, and instead going with Mike Antoni who doesn't value big men, posting, or any of the strengths that this roster had. This roster was geared for big and slow, and they hire a coach who likes small and fast. WTF?

2) Acquiring Nash for multiple 1st round picks and a huge salary at 39 years old. The CBA was already done, so you knew that salary-cap was going to be an obstacle, yet you lock up a bunch of money on this guy at 39 years old. WTF?

3) After a disaster season and Dwight is unhappy, you can either bring back Phil in order to keep Dwight, or at the very least you can TRADE Dwight to get something in return. At the time there was talk that the Clippers were considering trading Blake Griffin AND Eric Bledsoe for Dwight. In hindsight, just getting Blake Griffin seems like an erotic explosion. Instead of trading Dwight for a young talent like this, or maybe a few draft picks that you lost with the Nash trade, you allow him to just walk out the door for nothing. WTF?

4) You lose Dwight, and this team is obviously too old and needs to get younger and more athletic. You have Pau as still a very valuable asset. Instead of trading Pau to get a young player and or draft picks, you hold onto him and eventually let him walk for nothing. WTF?

5) You're in a downward spiral, and it's time to decide what to do with Kobe. Instead of trading him or discussing a future plan with him that might include him taking a deal that would enable us to bring him help (ala Dirk Novitski) to try to pursue that sixth ring, you give him 24 million dollars after him missing an entire season and suffering two catastrophic injuries, thereby tying up your cap for the next two years, and basically trapping yourself into a straight-jacket. WFT?

In addition, you have the choice to "do it yourself", or allow the fiance of the co-owner (who also happens to be the greatest coach of all-time, and maybe the greatest mind in basketball history) to become part of the franchise. You not only don't allow him in, but you watch the New York Knicks court him and eventually bring him aboard. Now, not only did you lose out on him, but you just enabled the one other big stage city to become viable again. WTF?

The one thing that is NOT their doing (but is still disastrous), is the laughing stock of the league who shares your same city and arena has now become viable and a contender, with the ousting of D. Sterling.

All of these "wtf" moves have done TREMENDOUS damage to the franchise. Yes we have a great history... but what does our future look like? To me, it looks like nothing I've ever seen before as a Laker fan. It almost looks like purposeful sabotage has been done, starting with the nullified Chris Paul trade.
    This happens to many team - teams with extraordinary success have failures from time to time but at least the Lakers have recognized the impending decline and hitched their wagon to their player who has WON 5 titles all by himself in Kobe so why can't he do it again? So some fans believe

A player who is willing to recruit his friends like Carmelo as well as bringing back Pau due to loyality to Kobe ... oh wait, I thought this thread was 3 weeks ago

Simply put, this team is about elevating Kobe ... (when healthy), and the funny thing is fans will be good with it and while the front office will get heat for most of the season, what they did was a brilliant business move ... so for fans of just Kobe and hero ball style of basketball, this is YOUR year!!!!

vCash
    Can't we make a thread about how awesome drink prices are at Staples?

vCash

Man you are right on point with this and I couldn't agree more. I remember the vlade, Eddie jones, van exel and ceballos days when we were down but certainly not out.

This last 2 years have been rough and it started the last year phil was coaching and we lost to Dallas. That was the time for some moves to be made. Fact of the matter is all of the things you mentioned is what confuses me as a fan.

I would venture to say nothing will change until we get a new front office in place. Obviously it's to much foe then to handle. When I read that Jim Buss removed all the scouts that were imperative to trades and signings you knew things were going to chance for the worse. These guys all had business relationships with other GMs and owners in the league.

If the kids decide to sell I hope magic and his reps have a chance to bid on the Lakers. We are in for a some bad seasons to come. KD and Westbrook are not coming to a situation like this one..sorry to say. At least not until kobe has moved on or retired.
    [/IMG]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift Game View Post
    Man you are right on point with this and I couldn't agree more. I remember the vlade, Eddie jones, van exel and ceballos days when we were down but certainly not out.

This last 2 years have been rough and it started the last year phil was coaching and we lost to Dallas. That was the time for some moves to be made. Fact of the matter is all of the things you mentioned is what confuses me as a fan.

I would venture to say nothing will change until we get a new front office in place. Obviously it's to much foe then to handle. When I read that Jim Buss removed all the scouts that were imperative to trades and signings you knew things were going to chance for the worse. These guys all had business relationships with other GMs and owners in the league.

If the kids decide to sell I hope magic and his reps have a chance to bid on the Lakers. We are in for a some bad seasons to come. KD and Westbrook are not coming to a situation like this one..sorry to say. At least not until kobe has moved on or retired.
    Differences aside....

This is one beautiful and on point post. Sums it up pretty well.

What I would also like to add is that Jim Buss just isn't that prestigious figure. A guy who wears a polo shirt, a cap covering his messy long hair, baggy jeans, big tummy, crooked front teeth, looks like a hobo not even fully shaven, unpresentable, not a people's person at all...who would want to be associated with such a guy.

The Anti-JerryBuss.

vCash
    Meh,

I am not too worried, large market and great town with a rich basketball history will eventually win out.

I have liked some of the recent additions, Dwight, and the great attempt at CP3 come to mind. Though the coaching decision in my mind chased away Dwight, but I am not really sure he was talented enough to carry forward and win a title here anyway.

This off season has been crappy, but we have nothing to attract a big time free agent at this time so we missed out. If Lebron was only after Money or had always wanted to be in LA from childhood, or wanted to be an actor. Whatever, if any of that BS had come about maybe we land him.

Im fine with Mello not being here, I do not see us winning a title with him here at any point even though he would have filled the seats and been entertaining.

Yes, I think the Front office blinked and gave Kobe a monster contract that even he would not have guessed was coming. Perhaps a rookie mistake without Dr. Buss around. It is only 2 years and in reality we were not going to compete in these next two years anyway.

I do not think Kobe can carry this team to the playoffs, mainly because of his age and recent injuries.

The Lakers will be fine. This transition will take time and be dirty, but it is a process.

vCash
    Can we just make a Lakers vent thread for all this stuff? I don't mind as I am as pissed of as most of you regarding our FO, but lets just keep it in one thread lol.
    #Chow!

vCash
    The new CBA is the problem if nobody has realized that already. Sure, the FO sucks, but the new CBA from the last lockout prevents teams from paying more for good players, which has wrecked teams like Los Angeles, Boston, and I daresay Phoenix and Dallas.

The CP3 trade which got wrecked back in '11 was us trying to get it in before the new CBA. After that trade died, so did our chances of winning a chip in this decade. When we traded for Howard, it was supposed to be the second franchise move (behind the CP3 trade), but instead we had to settle for Nash. You cant really blame the FO for everything... Well, yeah you can. But the CBA deserves some blame since it screwed us pretty hard too.

The teams like the Thunder and Portland, who have stacked good draft picks to make the playoffs, are doomed for failure. The good players who realize they are playing second fiddle to a superstar are going to bolt just as fast as you can say "Wha?".

Houston is my final point. They traded for Harden, and signed Howard. But who do they have around them? Nobody. The CBA is forcing people to have smaller contracts and less talent in an effort of trying to balance out the NBA (a reflection of watching Bosh-Wade-James team up in Miami), which hurts our teams who are used to throwing out cash and getting 3 superstars on the same team.
    The Newcomer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mender View Post
    The new CBA is the problem if nobody has realized that already. Sure, the FO sucks, but the new CBA from the last lockout prevents teams from paying more for good players, which has wrecked teams like Los Angeles, Boston, and I daresay Phoenix and Dallas.

The CP3 trade which got wrecked back in '11 was us trying to get it in before the new CBA. After that trade died, so did our chances of winning a chip in this decade. When we traded for Howard, it was supposed to be the second franchise move (behind the CP3 trade), but instead we had to settle for Nash. You cant really blame the FO for everything... Well, yeah you can. But the CBA deserves some blame since it screwed us pretty hard too.

The teams like the Thunder and Portland, who have stacked good draft picks to make the playoffs, are doomed for failure. The good players who realize they are playing second fiddle to a superstar are going to bolt just as fast as you can say "Wha?".

Houston is my final point. They traded for Harden, and signed Howard. But who do they have around them? Nobody. The CBA is forcing people to have smaller contracts and less talent in an effort of trying to balance out the NBA (a reflection of watching Bosh-Wade-James team up in Miami), which hurts our teams who are used to throwing out cash and getting 3 superstars on the same team.
    You are very right about the CBA's impact. It is less now about big spending and more now about astute management. The teams with the best [empowered] GM's are the ones that are succeeding. i.e. OKC, SAS, Por, GSW and contrary to your post I'd even say HOU. The biggest spenders are the ones that are hamstrung...NYK, NETS, LAL (althoug that wasn't the real issue this year).

vCash
    shipoopi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast