Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

If you were a free agent with All-Star type numbers...

What would you look for in a contract, trading clauses, years, little perks?

Let me be more specific, say you're 28/29 at your peak, you've bolstered a 4.5 WAR each year since your rookie season, all with the same team. (I'll let you decide if you're a hitter or pitcher, which is also why I didn't go in depth with other stats.) you also don't have an injury history and no attitude problem playing whatever position you decide.

This thread seems silly because there are so many variables that go into it however, your imagination will also say a lot about your character. Will you try to have a contract that breaks bank? Something long? Would you want to play for the same team (let's say your home team is the team you play for.) would you want a no trade clause?

The reason I make this thread is because it'd be interesting to see what people would say they'd demand on the open market although who really knows how those negotiations would go, your worth is determined entirely by yourself.

Also, some comparable people would be Jayson Werth, Homer Bailey, Madison Bumgarner, Ian Desmond, etc.

vCash
    1. 6 Team No Trade Clause- Seattle, Chicago Cubs top 2 on my list. Depending size of deal (4.5 WAR player ain't getting dealt to Tampa Bay). Assuming I've got 12-15 M AAV. My 10 no trades are Seattle, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Detroit, New York Mets, Texas.

2. Hotel Suites on Road Trips & no Roommate

3. Pay for my Room Service.

4. Use of Private jet or Charter.

5. Two Lockers for my extra gear

vCash
    id be a terrible FA because id only play for the mets

as a lifelong fan of the ny mets id find it impossible to suit up for another team besides them if i was able to control my destiny

vCash
    NTC to Cubs, Twins, and Tigers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquest8089 View Post
    1. 6 Team No Trade Clause- Seattle, Chicago Cubs top 2 on my list. Depending size of deal (4.5 WAR player ain't getting dealt to Tampa Bay). Assuming I've got 12-15 M AAV. My 10 no trades are Seattle, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Detroit, New York Mets, Texas.

2. Hotel Suites on Road Trips & no Roommate

3. Pay for my Room Service.

4. Use of Private jet or Charter.

5. Two Lockers for my extra gear
    You sound pretty insufferable

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utl768 View Post

as a lifelong fan of the ny mets id find it impossible to suit up for another team besides them if i was able to control my destiny
    So if the mets didn't want you you would just retire?

vCash
    Avg. salary of 15 million, minimum. Over 7-10 years.
    Full NTC.
    Private suite on road trips.
    4 box seats to home games.
    $250,000-500,000 in bonuses for numerous stats reached during any year. All-star game, WS, bat, win batting title, etc.
    And an upfront 5 million dollar donation to a charity of my choosing.

vCash
    If I'm 29 an opt out wouldn't make sense, I would try to get as many years guaranteed with as much money guaranteed, assuming my original team wasn't interested in signing me(like the had a top prospect at my position.)

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    I'd ask the Cubs to pay me and my estate 5 mil a year for 75 years and I would play till they didn't want me to any more. Full no trade.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    I'm looking for 150+ million over 6 years if I'm feeling low about myself. That age and that productive? **** you, pay me.

Perks I might look for:

- November off

- Tuition for school after the contract ends and I choose to retire. If I sign somewhere else afterwards, this doesn't happen.

- Private trainers, chef, possibly a gym/extremely easy access to facilities...

Obviously look for the organization that respects players best from what I see and hear in this imaginary world where I'm an AS caliber, established MLB name and talent.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 07-15-2014 at 04:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I'd ask the Cubs to pay me and my estate 5 mil a year for 75 years and I would play till they didn't want me to any more. Full no trade.
    i like that

I would just adjust for inflaion in my contract so i always get the same purchasing power with my yearly salar)

and i would do it for cheaper

-1m/year for 50 years, adjusted for inflation.
    -Only Oakland A's, no trades
    -Cant be sent down to AAA
    -Time off whenever I want
    -Unlimited free tickets to home games for friends and family
    -I can come to games and hang out in the dugout even after i retire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utl768 View Post

same here just with the cubs all i need is NTC

Phoenix Suns GM

vCash
    Yankees because they're the GOAT franchise in American sports. Why would I want to go to a lesser organization if I had the choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    I'd pick a city that wanted and could afford me, that i felt comfortable in. Location location location. I would want a full no trade clause because I am picking the destination and I would want to stay there. I would rather sign a 100 mill deal and be comfortable with a NTC rather than 125 mill and not having that security with location.

I'd want to pick a team with a decent current team, and a promising future outlook. For example, currently, I would never sign with the Yankees/Angels, due to their poor farm. I would stay clear of Miami and Minnesota for sure. I'd probably nix the west coast as well. I'd shoot to sign in the east somewhere.

vCash
    I'm 28, fresh to sign my first Free Agency deal. First thing: I have a close friend / family member as my agent. No brainer there. Need some serious trust. I'll say I'm a position player. I've accrued 4.5 war per season every year. I'm extremely valuable. I know it. I have most of the leverage because of how well I've performed, while still being in my prime.

My two personal preferences would be Boston or Chicago. I'd sign a somewhat below average market deal to get there, especially Chicago. I'll start with those two and what I'd want. From Chicago, I'd settle for 20ish + per year for 6 or 7 years. I'd give Chicago the choice of a full NTC or a player opt out option in year 3. I want at least one of those perks from Chicago. I'd be willing to lay out something similar to Boston as well. If NYY want me, I want the Opt out after 3 and the full NTC + more money. Not a knock on the yanks, they have a fine organization, but I'd much prefer to play at Wrigley or Fenway.

I'd be the type of player that would take less money for a NTC, and even less to play for my favorite team. You honestly cant take too much less, or else the players union will be all over you, but you get the idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast