Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Cain pushed back in second half rotation

Matt Cain endured two stints on the disabled list in the first half. So in theory, he should be the most rested member of the Giants rotation entering the All-Star break.

The Giants are backing him off anyway.

In something of an eyebrow-raising move, Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced his rotation order coming out of the All-Star break and Cain would be his No.5 starter. It’ll be Madison Bumgarner (on his regular four days of rest), followed by Tim Hudson and Tim Lincecum against Miami at Marlins Park. Ryan Vogelsong and Cain would start the first two games of the four-game series at Philadelphia.

Cain by far would receive the most time off, with 12 days between starts. Bochy insisted there was nothing wrong with the long-tenured right-hander, who is 2-7 with a 4.15 ERA in 15 starts.

“He’s fine. We’re just going to push him back,” said Bochy, adding that Cain could be moved up if Hudson pitches in the All-Star Game and could use extra rest as a result. “There’s not really any specific (reason). We just think it’d be good to back him off. If we have to move him up, we will.”

Hudson, Lincecum and Vogelsong would receive eight days between starts.

Interestingly, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly acknowledged he lined up his second-half rotation in part to ensure his top guys would pitch when the club visits AT&T Park July 25-27. Bochy said prior to Sunday’s game that he wasn’t looking that far down the road, and that he would arrange the rotation based on the best interests of his staff.

As it stands, the series with the Dodgers would feature Zack Greinke vs. Lincecum, Clayton Kershaw vs. Vogelsong and Cain vs. Hyun-Jin Ryu.

Cain has spent separate stints on the DL because of a strained hamstring and a finger laceration stemming from an accident with a kitchen knife. He has never been on the DL with an arm injury although past scans have shown loose bodies in his right elbow.
    http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/gia...-half-rotation

1. Madison Bumgarner
    2. Tim Hudson
    3. Tim Lincecum
    4. Ryan Vogelsong
    5. Matt Cain

Ariana Grande

vCash
    5th? Ouch...especially after he's strung together some solid outings lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    Meh, maybe it'll get him some favorable matchups. Just need the lineup to get him (and Vogelsong) some run support.

vCash
    I'd put Vogelsong #1. We don't score ANY runs for him anyways so might as well put him against the other teams #1 where we were unlikely to score either.

THE BEST DH IN SF GIANTS HISTORY!

2010 and 2012 World Series Champs !

vCash
    Most expensive 5th starter in baseball. I'm getting deja vu
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    As it stands, the series with the Dodgers would feature Zack Greinke vs. Lincecum, Clayton Kershaw vs. Vogelsong and Cain vs. Hyun-Jin Ryu.

We screwed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sf-fanatic View Post
    I'd put Vogelsong #1. We don't score ANY runs for him anyways so might as well put him against the other teams #1 where we were unlikely to score either.
    It works out for Vogy to face Kershaw so that works. We'll lose 1-0.

SF Giants, SF 49ers, Sac Kings since birth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcs15 View Post

We screwed
    Scutaro, Pence, Morse, Posey & Belt have pretty good numbers vs Greinke. The Giants haven't been that bad against Ryu either. Kershaw on the other hand....only Brett Pill can save us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    Scutaro, Pence, Morse, Posey & Belt have pretty good numbers vs Greinke. The Giants haven't been that bad against Ryu either. Kershaw on the other hand....only Brett Pill can save us.
    I'd rather just sent Kershaw to Korea.
    "If he could cook, I'd marry him." - Leo Durocher on Willie Mays

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    I'd rather just sent Kershaw to Korea.
    Sounds good, how do we arrange that?

Slumpy Shoulder HR Counter: 10

vCash
    This comes as a shock since Cain has been pitching so well lately. He really found a groove it seemed.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    When the season starts the pitching rotation order is structured with your best pitcher first, and then so on. So, in partial contradiction of what Bochy said about not looking too far down the schedule, I still believe this move primarily has more to do with upcoming match ups than it has to do at all with relegating Cain to the end of the rotation and making him the "5th" starter (technically your "worst" starter).

GIANTSNINERSWARRIORS

vCash
    How serious is the elbow on Cain? Didn't know that it was messed up!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    Ryu is much better on the road for some reason, the 8 runs they scored against him were in LA.

vCash
    I don't know how good of an idea it is for Mattingly to set his rotation for the Giants series, the rest of their July is against the Cardinals, Pirates, Giants all on the road, then the braves at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast