Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Mets at the ASB

Time for our kinda 1st half of the season (+14 games) recap.

Here is my take.

The Good:

The starting pitching - specifically the rise of deGrom, the resurgence of Niese and the consistency of Colon and even Gee (even with his time missed). No doubt about it, this is a solid group that gives the team a very legitimate chance to win every single game. If Dice-K comes out of the rotation, I think this continues to be a strength through at least August.

Granderson - got hell from lots of fans when he started slow, but he has been a rock solid player since May. He's giving the team good power, solid defense and a nice presence in the lineup - everything he was asked to do when he signed.

Murphy - Dude can hit and hit and hit. Whatever the team does with him, he has been great overall thus far.

The pen - Yes, they've blown some critical saves. But this is a unit that lost its best arm before the season, started with Velvarde and Farnsworth, and is now manned by a lot of young arms with tons of potential. The pen is rounding into a solid part of this team.

Honorable mention - Duda - looks like the Mets kept the right guy. Lots of fans just want to see Duda sustain the production all year long.

The Bad:

Chris Young - Can't sugarcoat it. The guy has not panned out. He's a bench bat at best right now. The LF situation is a mess in no small part due to his struggles.

SS - Mediocre is now considered good for the Mets at this position. If they're gonna compete, chances are they will need to get more out of the position.

David Wright - Bad can be a relative term, and it is here with Wright. I love the guy, and he's coming around now, but his lack of expected production early on is probably as big a reason as any that this team just couldn't get going. He will need to be the middle of the order bat we need him to be if this team is going to make some 2nd half noise.

Darno - Like Wright, his early season struggles left this team with just too many holes to overcome. But also like Wright, he's been studly of late since his return from Vegas. If he and Wright can keep it up after the ASB, this team can make some serious noise the rest of the way.

Dishonorable Mention - Montero and Syndegaard. Both were supposed to have real impact on this season for the big league team, and both have underperformed overall. There's still plenty of baseball left for them to rise up and help, but deGrom usurped their major league utility while they have struggled.

The Wildcards

Sandy, Jeff, TC - The team's record isn't great but there is a pulse and they're going into the break strong. The lineup needs major league help, and it's time to deliver and get these guys another bat they can depend on. It's also time to give TC a full lineup to work with, since he's supposedly been dealing with a short hand, and time for TC to take that opportunity and lead this team to a very strong 2nd half showing.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Still don't see the Mets as buyers unless its for a long term piece in the OF. The type of lineup help they need is not available to address at multiple positions while giving up the specs to do it before the deadline. The upgrades will more than likely happen in the offseason.

vCash
    If by the end of July the Mets are some 2-3 games out of a playoffs spot and Sandy does not improve the team, I will be very disappointed in him.

vCash
    Ruben has not been mediocre. Otherwise, nice list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Are you saying he has been better than mediocre? Or worse than mediocre?

vCash
    You couldn't resist, could you?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    The need for an everyday outfielder and ss is glaring. I say outfielder cuz I would look to trade for a big hitting strong thrower so we can move grandy to lf. Not sure these moves can or will be made during the season but it would be nice. My question is do the mets move Murphy and hope dilson can man 2b. Also with the addition of an outfielder both youngs should go and keep kirk as the 4th with Campbell as back up everywhere
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Since the end of May, Rueben has almost a .400 on base percentage.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post

Yeah and I still want castro
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

vCash
    And on the year, Ruben Tejada has been worth 0.7 WAR in 80 games. A league average player will have 2 WAR over a full season. The guy has been the definition of mediocre overall this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    And on the year, Ruben Tejada has been worth 0.7 WAR in 80 games. A league average player will have 2 WAR over a full season. The guy has been the definition of mediocre overall this year.
    You're right he is, and if the Mets have the chance to upgrade they should. But he has been serviceable. I don't know that the Mets will have that chance at the deadline just based on available players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532 View Post
    You're right he is, and if the Mets have the chance to upgrade they should. But he has been serviceable. I don't know that the Mets will have that chance at the deadline just based on available players.
    He has been serviceable, but how much of his value comes from batting 8th? I realize it's valuable to not make the pitcher lead off the next inning, but how much of his solid OBP is related to him being a decent hitter, and how much of it is related to teams pitching around him to face our horrific hitting pitchers? With DeGrom going today (aka, a good hitting pitcher), Tejada had a poor day at the plate.

vCash

The Mets at the ASB

Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    A lot of that has to do with his flukishly bad baserunning(-4.3 BsR). If he was just average, I'm sure it would be in the 1-1.5 range. The 9 intentional passes have inflated his OBP by about 20 points, but isn't included in his wRC+ which stands at 87 right now. But I agree he's been mediocre at best.

vCash
    And this is what it is all about.

The Mets in the first half are a tale of two cities, er, teams, er, you know what i mean. We started off with three first basemen who all sucked, a shortstop who sucked, a catcher was wasn't ready for the major leagues despite his advanced age, a closer by old folks home committee, and the second coming of Jason Bay.

Now we've got a shortstop with a .400 OBP, a first base platoon that is producing ridiculous numbers, a catcher who is playing like and all star, and a new young closerr who looks like the real deal. Oh, and the second coming of Jasonn Bay is now the second coming of Bernard Gilkey circa 1996.

So the question that we need to ask in the second half is,

Will the Real Mets Please Stand Up?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash

The Mets at the ASB

Duda's development has been key to this team's turnaround offensively. He's hit like a legitimate cleanup hitter that we so desperately need. He's even looking better against LHP these days as well. He still needs work on laying off breaking balls out of the zone, but he has absolutely punished fastballs this year.

The guy the Mets THOUGHT would be their cleanup hitter coming into this season has found a home in the leadoff spot. Granderson is the best leadoff hitter we've had since Reyes, and he's done a great job of getting on base and igniting the offense with big hits. Stealing bases isn't necessary to be a leadoff hitter even though Curtis has the capability to do that if needed.

d'Arnaud has been a force to be reckoned with since coming back from Vegas. He is swinging with confidence and he is barreling balls left and right. That along with his pitch framing has been a huge asset for this team.

Now all of a sudden Wright is hitting like the Captain we expected to see this season.

The only thing this team is lacking is a big bat in an outfield corner and a bonafide ace. Sure, we could use a SS upgrade, but I don't think that is making or breaking our team right now.

Luckily, we'll be getting an ace next season in Harvey and maybe one of our younger arms can step up next year and be Harvey's #2.

Unfortunately, we don't a major league ready power-hitting OF waiting to come up. I really this has to be addressed by trade, and my favorite candidate is Carlos Gonzalez. Imagine we traded for him at the deadline and made the playoffs??? That would be insane. But I would settle for an off-season trade for him instead if that didn't happen.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast