Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Feds investigating prescription drug abuse in NFL locker rooms.

About time! Pumping these players full of drugs without warning them about the dangers is horrid.

The Drug Enforcement Administration has quietly launched an investigation into the abuse of prescription medication in NFL locker rooms, three sources familiar with the probe told the Daily News.

Agents from the DEA’s New York division are reaching out to former players to learn how NFL doctors and trainers get access to potent narcotics such as Percodan and Vicodin or anti-inflammatories such as Toradol, a nonaddictive prescription drug widely used around the league to treat pain.

The DEA’s investigation began shortly after attorneys representing about 1,300 NFL retirees filed a class-action lawsuit in San Francisco federal court on May 20 that accuses the league of illegally providing prescription drugs to keep players on the field without informing them of the long-term risks. The nine named plaintiffs include Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon and his former teammate, Hall of Fame defensive end Richard Dent, as well as Pro Bowl defensive end Marcellus Wiley, now an ESPN analyst.

“The allegations in our lawsuit, that the NFL has violated state and federal drug laws, have been confirmed by over 1,300 former NFL players,” Steve Silverman, an attorney for the former players, told The News on Friday. “We are pleased to learn that the DEA and United States Department of Justice are also taking our clients’ allegations seriously and are actively protecting the welfare of NFL players.”

The drugs numbed pain, allowing hurt players to return to the field, but they also led to aggravated injuries and created long-term health problems, the lawsuit claims.
    The suit filed by Silverman and his colleagues is a catalogue of horrors. Court papers show team doctors and trainers widely distributed painkillers, sleeping pills and other drugs without warning players about the risk of addiction or the dangers of mixing powerful medications. McMahon, according to the lawsuit, became hooked on pain pills, at one point gulping down more than 100 Percocets each month, even in the offseason.

The drugs numbed pain, allowing hurt players to return to the field, but they also led to aggravated injuries and created long-term health problems, the lawsuit claims.
    source

Thanks for the Memories Suarez!

vCash
    Maybe the DEA should start focusing on real stuff like this instead of marijuana.

At least some fed tax dollars go to work.

vCash
    Does every thread have to be about weed in here now

vCash
    I blew out my knee ń got prescibed pain meds n that lead to addiction I was like 16 and I struggle with it evey day of my life even tho I don't mess with it now... Now as a 17 year old I also got prescibed Vicodin for getting stitches ...seriously stitches !!!! Now if I can can that...n I've done it after I've weasled doctors into giving me more quantity n quality, imagine what these nfl players can do and get

steal of the draft cleanthony early

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKNYGNYY View Post
    I blew out my knee ń got prescibed pain meds n that lead to addiction I was like 16 and I struggle with it evey day of my life even tho I don't mess with it now... Now as a 17 year old I also got prescibed Vicodin for getting stitches ...seriously stitches !!!! Now if I can can that...n I've done it after I've weasled doctors into giving me more quantity n quality, imagine what these nfl players can do and get
    Thats crazy man, your 100 percent right, I feel for u and these players

vCash
    Forget the war on drugs, you guys are too busy waging a war on the english language.

vCash
    Lololololololol

vCash
    Watch "American Addict" on Netflix. Great documentary!

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    Been to the same place for a back injury.
    #BanMiltstar

vCash
    moar drugs

vCash
    Toradol, Percs, and Vicadin... sounds about right. The toradol is the worst.. take a shot before the game and at halftime and you feel nothing while you play - allowing you to completely destroy your body and need pain killers for sustained injuries. It's really bad, the league needs this to be honest.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Looking forward to players missing forever with injuries...

In all seriousness though this is something that should be done for the players. It does represent a real problem though. Players take these pills so they can get healthy and play. If they stop taking them, injuries will cause them to miss more time. If guys are missing more time, teams aren't going to want to pay them as much. I really think this could have huge implications on the salary structure of the NFL. If people are going down more frequently and longer I think teams will start to prioritize depth over big ticket guys. You could see the top salaries in the NFL start to go down IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Been to the same place for a back injury.
    I fight with it everyday, My back is screwed...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Toradol, Percs, and Vicadin... sounds about right. The toradol is the worst.. take a shot before the game and at halftime and you feel nothing while you play - allowing you to completely destroy your body and need pain killers for sustained injuries. It's really bad, the league needs this to be honest.
    Toradol is the one that started the slide to painkiller addiction for me because you feel the pain worse the next day. So you take more painkillers to ease the pain and the cycle starts.
    #BanMiltstar

vCash
    Respectfully, one has nothing to do with the other.

1. We both/all know why these players receive so many drugs. They want players to stay on the field. It's criminal what these teams are doing to players

2. Vicodin for stitches. That's Obamacare. These doctors have a budget and within that budget are appointments which are converted to dollars. The doctors get penalized for going over budget.

For example. The insuance company, which pays the doc, allocates two appointments for stitches in which the doctor gets paid. Let's say the doctor has 5 patients who get stitches which is equal to 10 appointments (5 appointments to put the stitches in and 5 to remove the stitches). One of the patients calls up and says they're in pain. The doctor needs to see that patient to make sure the pain isn't an infection or it's a potential lawsuit. But now the doctor has 3 appointments for 1 patient (place stitches, check pain, remove stitches). Now for 5 patients the doctor now has 11 appointments which puts him over budget and he doesn't get paid over budget. So now the doctor has to hope another patient does now show to remove their stitches so he gets back down to 10 appointments.

If the doc is seeing 50 patients per day, how is he supposed to keep track of this budget? If he's not careful, he'll fly past his budget and spend many days working for free so it's easier for the doctor to over prescribe than risk going over budget.

On the flip side, there is always a criminal in every market. The budget is also in place so a doctor doesn't schedule 5 additional appointments for each patient so his nurse can eye ball the stitches and bill the insuance company.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 07-14-2014 at 12:06 PM.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast