Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daryl Morey

vCash

Daryl Morey

This guy is reckless, he just traded picks away for nothing anticipating melo, lebron, bosh, lowry and striked out with all 4 and sacrificed assets for the future. He remind me of the net's owner in the ear of billy king to make reckless decisions. if I'm a rockets fan, I'm pissed.
    [CENTER]

vCash
    You're seriously comparing Daryl Morey, the Billy Beane of basketball, the guy who came within a hair of stealing Chris Bosh and creating a super team in a non glamour market, the guy who rebuilt without tanking, one of the five smartest people in basketball, to Billy freaking King? Really? Go home OP, you're drunk.
    We're better than you
    And we know it

vCash
    This seems like a slight overreaction. The Rockets never, EVER had to tank, and they built a near contender in the West. They put themselves in the position to land a marquee free agent while already having two on the roster. They can't control what a free agent decides to do.

The "treadmill of mediocrity" is a joke. The Rockets never tanked. The Pacers never tanked. The Spurs...well...it depends on if you think David Robinson could have played or not. But the point stands: You don't have to tank to build good playoff team, you just have to THINK. It's not paint-by-numbers.

vCash
    Another bitter Laker fan. Have fun paying Nick Young, Jordan Hill and Kobe all that money.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    Another bitter Laker fan. Have fun paying Nick Young, Jordan Hill and Kobe all that money.
    He's a raptor fan.

BUT this thread is a little much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedTofuz View Post
    This guy is reckless, he just traded picks away for nothing anticipating melo, lebron, bosh, lowry and striked out with all 4 and sacrificed assets for the future. He remind me of the net's owner in the ear of billy king to make reckless decisions. if I'm a rockets fan, I'm pissed.
    What a laughable thread. First off, he traded away two bad contracts and essentially swapped Houston's first rounder next season with New Orlean's first rounder, which is almost guaranteed to be higher. I completely fail to see why that's "reckless." Asik didn't want to be in Houston anymore. Lin wasn't worth the money anymore. And Houston just avoided paying $30 million to two players who weren't going to start. How is that reckless? I'd say that's some pretty damn smart maneuvering.

You know what's reckless? Giving bad contracts to Nick Young and Jordan Hill and massively overpaying Kobe Bryant. Perhaps you should look at your own front office before you starting judging the front office of basketball teams that are superior to your own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    This seems like a slight overreaction. The Rockets never, EVER had to tank, and they built a near contender in the West. They put themselves in the position to land a marquee free agent while already having two on the roster. They can't control what a free agent decides to do.

The "treadmill of mediocrity" is a joke. The Rockets never tanked. The Pacers never tanked. The Spurs...well...it depends on if you think David Robinson could have played or not. But the point stands: You don't have to tank to build good playoff team, you just have to THINK. It's not paint-by-numbers.
    There's no surefire way to build a contender. There's the OKC way, which involves intentional tanking and selling off of assets (see Allen, Ray). There's the Spurs method, which involves sheer dumb luck of having Robinson get hurt in the Duncan year. There's the Miami method of meticulous cap management and using one star to lure in others. There's the Houston method of asset collection hoping to have it pay off for an undervalued star (see Harden, James). There's the Indiana method of bringing in non-stars that the market is undervaluing and then hitting home runs on one or two picks (see George, Paul). Of course, you also see failures with all of these methods. Orlando may end up with a team that finishes dead last in three-point shooting by following the OKC method. Kobe getting hurt for the Lakers didn't get them the No. 1 pick. The Knicks tried the same thing as Miami and it backfired. The Celtics look like they're going to miss out on Kevin Love by following the Houston method. Charlotte is currently employing the Indiana strategy but have failed to hit a home run on that one pick (maybe Vonleh is the guy who turns into their Paul George). Point is, there's no one method to building a contender. The reason tanking is so popular is because it's the only surefire way to give yourself a chance for a star. If you get the No. 1 pick you automatically get the guy you want. If you try with free agency you might strike out, if you try with trades the other team might not like what you're offering.
    We're better than you
    And we know it

vCash
    ..yeah because Mitch Kupchak is soooo much better right? /sarcasm

Raising Jersey's first, trophies and banners next...

vCash
    OP is a raptors fan. Stop attacking the lakers and try reading.
    LA

Listen to Black Sabbath.

vCash
    actually, as a Laker fan i like the attacks on our two dipshits...

but please ... give equal vitriol for Jimbaco the idiot son

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity:28785446
    You're seriously comparing Daryl Morey, the Billy Beane of basketball, the guy who came within a hair of stealing Chris Bosh and creating a super team in a non glamour market, the guy who rebuilt without tanking, one of the five smartest people in basketball, to Billy freaking King? Really? Go home OP, you're drunk.
    But. He DIDNT steal Chris Bosh..

vCash
    Morey hasn't had the best offseason. He's overreached on anticipating the desireability of Houston as a free agent destination. But can you blame him? He's got a solid all-star 2, a dominant C, and solid, reasonably priced pieces surrounding them, with the cap room to continue to grow.

And this is also the same GM that people were terrified of dealing with not long ago. So Morey's human, he's still a helluva GM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedTofuz View Post
    I definitely wouldn't compare him to Billy King. He took a shot and he missed, sometimes that happens. He put a team together that was top 4 in a much tougher conference, not to mention probably the toughest division in the NBA. Now if he had put together a team of way overpaid injury prone players and was losing money at the rate the Nets are then you could compare the two. The Rockets are nowhere near the situation the Nets are in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThuglifeJ View Post
    But. He DIDNT steal Chris Bosh..
    So what? What does that prove? If we were to base the success of front offices by who got marquee free agents to sign with them in this offseason, then Cleveland and New York have the most competent front office in the league and the front offices of Chicago, Phoenix, Houston, Dallas and Miami are all failures. See how awful that logic is?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    There's no surefire way to build a contender. There's the OKC way, which involves intentional tanking and selling off of assets (see Allen, Ray). There's the Spurs method, which involves sheer dumb luck of having Robinson get hurt in the Duncan year. There's the Miami method of meticulous cap management and using one star to lure in others. There's the Houston method of asset collection hoping to have it pay off for an undervalued star (see Harden, James). There's the Indiana method of bringing in non-stars that the market is undervaluing and then hitting home runs on one or two picks (see George, Paul). Of course, you also see failures with all of these methods. Orlando may end up with a team that finishes dead last in three-point shooting by following the OKC method. Kobe getting hurt for the Lakers didn't get them the No. 1 pick. The Knicks tried the same thing as Miami and it backfired. The Celtics look like they're going to miss out on Kevin Love by following the Houston method. Charlotte is currently employing the Indiana strategy but have failed to hit a home run on that one pick (maybe Vonleh is the guy who turns into their Paul George). Point is, there's no one method to building a contender. The reason tanking is so popular is because it's the only surefire way to give yourself a chance for a star. If you get the No. 1 pick you automatically get the guy you want. If you try with free agency you might strike out, if you try with trades the other team might not like what you're offering.
    You forgot the Mavs way of trading for extremely good players (not quite superstars) from teams trying to dump them to clear cap space and signing ex-starters to come off the bench and hiring a superior coach to get the max out of those players. Sorry as a Mavs fan I was feeling left out. Haha

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast