Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Nets pass on Paul Pierce (signs with Washington)

Pierce signs with Washington for the MLE, all reports were that he would have rather played for the Nets. I was sure Pierce would come back for about 2 years 20 million. Him signing with Washington for that cheap means one of two things. We really had no interest in bringing him back, or Proky and the Nets just don't have the resources this year as they've had in the past and don't want to continue paying the crazy luxury tax. That Boston trade looks better and better everyday Billy, what a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsboi69 View Post
    Pierce signs with Washington for the MLE, all reports were that he would have rather played for the Nets. I was sure Pierce would come back for about 2 years 20 million. Him signing with Washington for that cheap means one of two things. We really had no interest in bringing him back, or Proky and the Nets just don't have the resources this year as they've had in the past and don't want to continue paying the crazy luxury tax. That Boston trade looks better and better everyday Billy, what a joke.
    and your point is? When the trade went down we ALL knew it was all-in for 1 or 2 years. It just so happens he's gone after one. Billy was rightfully broiled for it, when it went down. But I don't think ANY Nets fan thought PP and KG were long term plans here, so let's not start any revisionist history, and let's not act like it's the end of the world. We still have plenty of 1st round picks (2015, 2017, 2019, 2020). The first three cannot be traded even if we wanted too. I suppose we will learn the real reason why PP bolted out the door fairly soon. Let's also not act surprised if KG decides to retire now too...cause that was, and is expected as well.

Considering how the year went...I don't blame Proky for likely culling back the payroll.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    and your point is? When the trade went down we ALL knew it was all-in for 1 or 2 years. It just so happens he's gone after one. Billy was rightfully broiled for it, when it went down. But I don't think ANY Nets fan thought PP and KG were long term plans here, so let's not start any revisionist history, and let's not act like it's the end of the world. We still have plenty of 1st round picks (2015, 2017, 2019, 2020). The first three cannot be traded even if we wanted too. I suppose we will learn the real reason why PP bolted out the door fairly soon. Let's also not act surprised if KG decides to retire now too...cause that was, and is expected as well.

Considering how the year went...I don't blame Proky for likely culling back the payroll.
    And by 'we all', you mean you, right. You saw that $140 mil loss coming?
    Generosity, that was my first mistake

vCash

My point is the Nets traded three firsts for one year of medicare ball? Your making it sound like Pierce was done, he played really well in the second half for us. In the cap hell we are in for at least the next two years we will have very limited assets and Pierce was an asset, which is now gone.

I am very surprised as an older team, and yes we are an older team, IDC if role players are young the core of the team is old, wouldn't spend 5 mill a year on resigning pierce for two years, but would spend over 3 million on bogdanovic who while he is an asset didn't have a great year last year in Europe. I just don't see any logical plan at play here.

vCash
    Think this means KG retires?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyHumph View Post
    And by 'we all', you mean you, right. You saw that $140 mil loss coming?
    By "we ALL"...YES I mean me as well. But I think you are missing my point. No I don't believe anyone saw the loss Proky would take. His penchant for spending, yes. The luxury tax yes. But the way the team performed which put them in a hole...no. There were plenty of those here...including me...when the trade first came down and the shiny wore off, started thinking that since the team went this far they had a short 1 or 2 year window to win. We became a "win now" old team very quickly. I am one of those fans who do not believe in any draft pick outside of the top 5. This is a league based on stars, it always has been. The draft picks the Nets gave away mean nothing if the Nets continue to challenge for the playoffs for 3 of the next 5 years. Maybe that is asking a lot. BUT I remember a 1st year owner looking awfully goofish and embarrassed when the NJ Nets had a chance at John Wall, and ended up picking 3rd in a draft with 2 possible stars in it. It looked right then and there...that is when Proky decided to spend. Like he never wanted to be in that position again.

Oh, and I am not proclaiming Billy King to be anything more than a mediocre GM. Don't get me wrong. But to start on the Celtic trade as "bad" for the team now...meh. We all saw this as a possibility at being a very short window. Most fans here, were not glossing over when the deal hit. But I, and most others, certainly thought it was better than going into the season with Mr. Kardashian and Wallace. So in hindsight, no one should be surprised part of the deal only lasted 1 year. It happened with different circumstances...sure. But it still wasn't going to be anything long term.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 07-14-2014 at 02:17 AM.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsboi69 View Post
    My point is the Nets traded three firsts for one year of medicare ball? Your making it sound like Pierce was done, he played really well in the second half for us. In the cap hell we are in for at least the next two years we will have very limited assets and Pierce was an asset, which is now gone.

I am very surprised as an older team, and yes we are an older team, IDC if role players are young the core of the team is old, wouldn't spend 5 mill a year on resigning pierce for two years, but would spend over 3 million on bogdanovic who while he is an asset didn't have a great year last year in Europe. I just don't see any logical plan at play here.
    Yes, it was realized at the time that the Nets traded 3 1st round picks for a short window (I said it myself 1 or 2 years). So it's not a surprise it lasted 1. Disappointed? Of course, but not earth shattering. And there is nothing I said that suggests Pierce was done. Now his minutes and PPG have dropped off to the lowest of his career, so put that into perspective for the going to be 37 year old. Matching the Wizards deal would have cost $20M in combined payroll and luxury-tax commitments. Spending that much to sign a 37-year-old forward when you are not expected to make a title run is not sound business practice. (And if the plan is now to hold off on big spending, then your not expecting a title run). When the deal went down, Pierce was a 1 year contract and KG was ready to retire. Now the cap hell is a different story.

If you believe reports Ratnerís Forest City Enterprises announced earlier this year it would sell its 20% stake in the Nets. They are looking to get to $200M for it. To do this Proky has decided to trim this year's spending to help get a $1 billion valuation. According to reports he was nervous that minority stake owners would be unwilling if they thought he would continue his free spending ways. He's right. Supposedly the Nets are not making a profit right now. The $140M probably doesn't help. It makes sense to cull the spending when your in the red. This is not the Yankees here.

He wants to get under the Cap by 2015-2016. This likely meant letting Pierce walk...and probably hoping KG retires. Kick in the cap rising next year only helps shorten this supposed "cap hell". Remember the Nets make $20M from YES (relatively small), which resets to $50M in 2017, and add the $30M from the League's new deal. "Cap hell" will not be as hellish as some think.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 07-14-2014 at 02:45 AM.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    By "we ALL"...YES I mean me as well. But I think you are missing my point. No I don't believe anyone saw the loss Proky would take. His penchant for spending, yes. The luxury tax yes. But the way the team performed which put them in a hole...no. There were plenty of those here...including me...when the trade first came down and the shiny wore off, started thinking that since the team went this far they had a short 1 or 2 year window to win. We became a "win now" old team very quickly. I am one of those fans who do not believe in any draft pick outside of the top 5. This is a league based on stars, it always has been. The draft picks the Nets gave away mean nothing if the Nets continue to challenge for the playoffs for 3 of the next 5 years. Maybe that is asking a lot. BUT I remember a 1st year owner looking awfully goofish and embarrassed when the NJ Nets had a chance at John Wall, and ended up picking 3rd in a draft with 2 possible stars in it. It looked right then and there...that is when Proky decided to spend. Like he never wanted to be in that position again.

Oh, and I am not proclaiming Billy King to be anything more than a mediocre GM. Don't get me wrong. But to start on the Celtic trade as "bad" for the team now...meh. We all saw this as a possibility at being a very short window. Most fans here, were not glossing over when the deal hit. But I, and most others, certainly thought it was better than going into the season with Mr. Kardashian and Wallace. So in hindsight, no one should be surprised part of the deal only lasted 1 year. It happened with different circumstances...sure. But it still wasn't going to be anything long term.
    But 'spending' also brought in Kidd to make a splash.

Kidd had no idea how to use Lopez, and mishandled KG the entire season. Kidd got lucky that the rest of the league wasn't ready for Plumlee.

But when the playoffs came, teams prepared, and Plumlee was shut down.

Nets need to have a better coach and a better plan this season.
    Generosity, that was my first mistake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyHumph View Post
    But 'spending' also brought in Kidd to make a splash.

Kidd had no idea how to use Lopez, and mishandled KG the entire season. Kidd got lucky that the rest of the league wasn't ready for Plumlee.

But when the playoffs came, teams prepared, and Plumlee was shut down.

Nets need to have a better coach and a better plan this season.
    Hollins has done a good job getting the most out of his big man, and he helped develop Conley very nicely. I think he was a good acquisition.
    'Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shi*