Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: 2015 Brewers

vCash

2015 Brewers

I want to preface this by saying I'm not giving up on this year's team. This is more just about a hope to get people talking.

What do you think the team looks like next year? And what types of moves would you make?

Looking at the current roster makeup, here are a few of the choices we have.

Yo has a team option for #13million, which is about a $2 million bump from this year.

ARam has a mutual option for $14 million, which is about a $2 million dollar decrease from this year. He will also be in his age 37 season.

Reynolds, Overbay and Zach Duke are free agents with pretty small salary numbers. Weeks has a team option that would have automatically vested based on plate appearances from this year and last year, but he's going to come no where near that, so he's $11 million off the books. KRod's $3.25 million comes off the books. Gorz's almost $3million is off the books.

As far as increases go, Lohse and Garza's salary stay the same. Braun bumps by $2 million (although the year after he gets a $7 million dollar raise.) Gomez has two years left, each bumping up his salary by $1 million. Lucroy is due a $1 million raise. Basically everyone else is in arbitration or pre arb, with Marco Estrada being the only one I can think of that will probably account for more than $1 million in a raise.

Basically, what I'm getting from this is that, even if Yo and Rammy are picked up, we'll probably have somewhere around $10-15 million to spend to keep the payroll roughly where it is, with the major needs being 1B and RP, with the future at 3B also being kept in mind. If Rammy isn't back, whether that be our choice or his, we should then have more like $25 million to spend, with 1B, RP and 3B being the major needs.

vCash
    When I look at that summary, I say we need to pickup Yo's deal and probably exercise our end of the mutual option for Rammy. I think Nelson deserves his shot at the rotation next year, and wouldn't be shocked if Marco was able to bounce back a little bit. But even if Yo isn't in our future, he still has some value as a pitcher for $13 million in the trade market.

I think the 1 yr left deal for Rammy would be perfect for us. I could see him opting out, in hopes of one last 2-3 year deal, but if we can get him for one more year, that's probably a good gamble for us.

Depending how we view Henderson, if he's back and able to close, I'm probably trying to sign one vet reliever, hopefully to a 2 yr $5 million per year or less deal, then fill in the rest of the pen with minor guys.

I would probably be looking to trade one of our starting pitchers as well, probably Yo or Garza (assuming he has a nice second half and his contract looks decent at that point). My goal would be to acquire a young, either major league level or near major league level 3B or 1B for the pitcher.

If we acquire a 1B, then I'm probably fairly set for the offseason. Wouldn't mind the salary dropping a hair to prepare for future increases for Braun and maybe upping Gomez beyond the next 2 years. Plus it gives us flexibility at the deadline.

If we acquire a young 3B, have him either play some 1B if ready, or sit him in the minors and try another low level 1B signing to compete with Morris.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 07-10-2014 at 01:35 PM.

vCash
    As for Henderson, I am not really a fan of his. Providing KRod keeps it up, i'd rather bring him back and keep him as closer until he breaks down.

vCash
    I'd probably keep Gallardo for 13, assuming he has a good second half. I'd also look to restructure Arams deal and make it like 2 yrs 20 million with no options. For this season I'd really look hard at getting Justin Morneau, I think he could be had a reasonable price and has two years left on his contract at pretty reasonable rates. Then I'd find a reasonable reliever or two through fa and maybe a reliable 4th OF.
    1-Gennett
    2-Gomez
    3-Lucroy
    4-Braun
    5-Morneau
    6-Aram
    7-Davis
    8-Segura

Lohse,Gallardo, Garza, Peralta,Nelson
    CL Henderson/FA, SU Smith, Thornberg, Kintzler, Fiers, whoever

vCash
    I don't think Morneau can really be had at all that reasonable price. He does have two years left so I'm sure Colorado is in no hurry to trade him. Unless they are selling the whole team, and I mean Tulo and cargo too, then I don't see why they would trade Morneau for a reasonable deal. They just signed him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I don't think Morneau can really be had at all that reasonable price. He does have two years left so I'm sure Colorado is in no hurry to trade him. Unless they are selling the whole team, and I mean Tulo and cargo too, then I don't see why they would trade Morneau for a reasonable deal. They just signed him.
    Tulo did just give the Rockies the blessing to trade him if they wished. They could be on the verge of doing an Astros-like sellout

vCash
    They could be, but I don't see it. Its probably a good idea on their part. Tulo would net you a ton of good, close to ready prospects. Although Cargo is injury prone, I bet someone would pay a decent amount for him (maybe the offseason would be a better time to move him. Give him the second half to recover his stock). Morneau could get you a nice return. You can keep Arenado, since I'm assuming they'd like to get back AAA type prospects, not A types. When the Astros busted everything up, they really didn't have anyone of value to trade. They basically had old vets like Carlos Lee on big contracts that weren't going to net you prospects. If the Rockies blew some things up, they could probably get some major league ready guys. Plus they have Jon Gray, who scouts are really high on.

Regardless of whether or not that's the right move, I don't see it happening. I would think they still have a chance in the next year or two. They have some talent on that team, and if you can get a healthy year out of all of them, then have some nice, fill in pieces who overachieve a little, plus some improved pitching, with possible re-enforcements in Gray, they could be a candidate for a quick turnaround.