Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Mike Vandermause's all-Packers team by position from 1992 to the present.

Who is the better quarterback, Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers?

That will be a question Green Bay Packers fans ponder for the ages, and it may never get resolved.

It was the most difficult decision I faced in tackling my latest Packers-related project. Since covering the team on a regular basis for the past 22 seasons, either as a columnist, editor or reporter, I produced an all-Packers team by position from 1992 to the present.

During that time, the Packers showed the NFL what an elite franchise looks like:

They endured just two losing seasons, fewer than any other team.
    Their three Super Bowl appearances was surpassed by only the New England Patriots.
    Their 222-129-1 regular-season record (.632 winning percentage) is a very close second to the Patriots' 224-128 (.636) mark.
    It's been a remarkable run of success that has lasted almost as long as the severe drought that preceded it. Prior to 1992, the Packers suffered through an abysmal 24-season depression in which they produced just five winning records and one playoff victory.

The biggest factor in the Packers' recent success has been the unprecedented stability and excellence at the most important position. Favre was the starting quarterback for 16 seasons and has been followed by Rodgers the past six years.

With apologies to Joe Montana and Steve Young, the Favre-Rodgers tandem should go down as the greatest back-to-back starting quarterbacks in NFL history.

Here's a look at the best Packers players at each position since 1992, a time period that can appropriately be termed the modern-era Glory Years.
    QB: Brett Favre
    HB: Ahman Green
    FB: William Henderson
    WR's: Sterling Sharpe and Donald Driver
    TE: Mark Chmura
    LT: Chad Clifton
    LG: Josh Sitton
    C: Frank Winters
    RG: Marco Rivera
    RT: Mark Tauscher
    DL: Reggie White, KGB, Aaron Kampman, Gilbert Brown
    LBers: Clay Matthews, Bryce Paup, AJ Hawk
    CB: Charles Woodson and Al Harris
    S: Leroy Butler and Nick Collins
    KR: Desmond Howard
    K: Ryan Longwell
    P: Tim Masthay
    Coach: Mike Holmgren
    GM: Ron Wolfe
    TP: Bob Harlan

Explanations for each pick on Link

So what are your thoughts? What do you disagree with? Which Current players do you see taking over those guys or which current players do you have over those guys right now?

The part i had in bold in the quote i think would make for an awesome discussion/debate!

vCash
    How he did the front 7 is really weird. But Okay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    How he did the front 7 is really weird. But Okay.
    Yeah i though that was strange as well but i guess he just went with who he thought were our best DL regardless of position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Yeah i though that was strange as well but i guess he just went with who he thought were our best DL regardless of position.
    Yeah he did. And that's fine too.

vCash
    Yeah he did. And that's fine too.
    What did you think about that part in bold?

Anything you disagree with? Favre over Rodgers? Or anything else?

Sorry im just bored lol

vCash
    What did you think about that part in bold?

Anything you disagree with? Favre over Rodgers? Or anything else?

Sorry im just bored lol
    I have no idea who else would be close for back to back. For franchises...Colts, U and Forehead.

Uhhh I literally don't see anything I want to argue over too much.

vCash
    I have no idea who else would be close for back to back. For franchises...Colts, U and Forehead.

Uhhh I literally don't see anything I want to argue over too much.
    Who do you think is better out of us and SF one?

Yeah i don't have to much of an issue with the list. I love Favre but i personally would put Rodgers ahead of him. The Wr spots would be an interesting debate as well.

vCash
    Who do you think is better out of us and SF one?

Yeah i don't have to much of an issue with the list. I love Favre but i personally would put Rodgers ahead of him. The Wr spots would be an interesting debate as well.
    Oh SF for sure. I think Young is the 6th best QB of all time and Montana is 2 at worst.

Favre will never touch 6 and Rodgers should be top 5 but we'll see.

vCash
    I think Favre is a tad bit overrated honestly. No way do I take him over Rodgers anyway even though Favre was a great QB.

Favre had a lot of seasons where he threw way too many INT's and in multiple years threw more INT's than TD's. Rodgers first year was probably his worst when it comes to TD/INT ratio and he was 28/13. Favre had those 3 great years in the mid 90's where he had 35+ TD's and 13-16 INT. So Favre's best year in that regard was 39 TD's 13 INT. Rodgers best is 45 TD's and 6 INT. It's not even really comparable plus Rodgers had 800 more yards, 50 less attempts etc.

Like I said, Favre was a great QB but was too much of a gunslinger and made mistakes at critical times. I love Rodgers ability to have the gunslinger type mentality and make the risky throws but be so precise and perfect that he doesn't throw the INT's that come with the gunslinger mentality. IMO Rodgers is already one of the best QB's of all time just because of his ability to make plays with the best of them but have a TD/INT ratio insanely better than any other QB, ever.

Looking at TD/INT ratio's. Favre is 25th all time at 1.51. Rodgers is first at 3.62 which is +1 better than Brady who is the 2nd ranked QB at 2.68. That is just insane that he nearly throws 4 TD's to every 1 INT. His average is better than Favre's best season in GB.. lol...

I'm not knocking Favre at all. I loved watching Favre when I grew up and am completely over what happened in the past that actually made me pretty disappointed in Favre and not really appreciate him as much as I did before. I know people will point to his length of career and longevity of greatness but I already put Rodgers over Favre. I hope Rodgers career lasts as long but even if it doesn't I think he goes down as one of the best ever and possibly the best if he is able to win another SB or two.
    Mike Daniels #76- 2013 stats/2014 stats
    Games played - 17
    Sacks/Hits/Hurries - 2013 6.5/6/27 2014 -
    Tackles/Stops - 2013- 23/23 2014 - 5/5
    PFF Grade/Run defense/Pass Rush - 2013- 22.4/9.5/12 2014- 2.8/3.7/-1.0
    Run Stop %/Pass Rushing Productivity- 2013- 8.6/9.3 2014- 18.5/0
    PFF 3-4 DE position ranking overall grade - 6th 2014- 7th

vCash
    Hard to really argue a ton there. It looks like he went with longevity over peak years. Personally, I think I'd take Jennings over Driver if you're getting them in their prime years, but can see why Driver is the pick, with his tenure with the team. I think the same "peak talent" argument could be made that Rodgers could be over Farve, and maybe someone like Finley over Chewy. But its not like there's really any egregious errors on there.

The only thing that really pops at me when I look at that list is that we have not been very strong at LB in the last 20 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Hard to really argue a ton there. It looks like he went with longevity over peak years. Personally, I think I'd take Jennings over Driver if you're getting them in their prime years, but can see why Driver is the pick, with his tenure with the team. I think the same "peak talent" argument could be made that Rodgers could be over Farve, and maybe someone like Finley over Chewy. But its not like there's really any egregious errors on there.

The only thing that really pops at me when I look at that list is that we have not been very strong at LB in the last 20 years.
    I was stunned when I saw Hawk.... Almost mad that he is one of the worst starting ILBs in the NFL and somehow is the best GB has had in 20 years?......
    Mike Daniels #76- 2013 stats/2014 stats
    Games played - 17
    Sacks/Hits/Hurries - 2013 6.5/6/27 2014 -
    Tackles/Stops - 2013- 23/23 2014 - 5/5
    PFF Grade/Run defense/Pass Rush - 2013- 22.4/9.5/12 2014- 2.8/3.7/-1.0
    Run Stop %/Pass Rushing Productivity- 2013- 8.6/9.3 2014- 18.5/0
    PFF 3-4 DE position ranking overall grade - 6th 2014- 7th

vCash
    I think you could make a real good case for Tramon Williams over Al Harris. Williams has nearly double the INT's in Green and Gold than Harris and has more passes defensed, sacks, and forced fumbles.

Harris does have the big "We want the ball and we're going to score" pick six to his name. But I think Tramon's play in the 2010 and 2013 post season far eclipses that. Also, Williams has only ever played a regular or post season game as a Packer and to me that means just a little tiny bit in a list like this. Not enough to be a huge factor but enough to break a tie if you could even call this situation a tie.
    Eddie "The Alabama Hamma" Lacy
    YDS: -- TD: --

vCash
    I'd put nick Barnett over hawk...who cares about longevity, if you suck
    the packers have so much talent...

vCash
    Jennings over driver

vCash
    TT over wolfe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast