4 3.70%
  • John Stockton

0 0%
  • Jerry West

0 0%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

PSD's Official #7 Player of All Time

Voting for #6 has concluded and PSD's Official #6 NBA Player of all time is....

Tim Duncan

19.9 PPG / 11.1 RPG / 2.2 BPG / .506 FG / 24.6 PER / 191.6 WS

Achievements:

14 time All-Star
    5 NBA Championships
    2 Time MVP
    3 Time Finals MVP
    1 Time Allstar game MVP
    10 Time All-NBA First Teamer
    8 Time Defensive First Teamer
    Rookie of the Year

Voting

Tim Duncan 27 votes
    Larry Bird 16 votes
    Bill Russell 12 votes
    Hakeem Olajuwon 12 votes
    LeBron James 11 votes
    Kobe Bryant 9 votes
    Oscar Robertson 1 votes
    Moses Malone 0
    Jerry West 0 votes
    Jerry West 0 votes
    David Robinson 0 votes
    Elgin Baylor 0 votes

The List:

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    3. Wilt Chamberlain
    4. Magic Johnson
    5. Shaquille O'neal
    Tim Duncan

vCash
    Between Larry and Lebron for me.
    But I have to go with Bird for the 3rd time now

vCash
    its kobe

vCash
    hakeeemmm

vCash

PSD's Official #7 Player of All Time

Sticking with Larry

vCash
    How is Lebron not dominating the vote here? Who left has four MVPs in a four year span and is top five in career WS/48 and PER? One guy. Lebron James. I would have put him 4th or 5th, and if he doesn't make the top 7, PSD's hatred of this guy is inevitably starting to show. I'm a huge Hakeem Olajuwon fan. Like the guy was my childhood idol and I absolutely adored him. I would not rank him as a better basketball player than Lebron James, and I certainly wouldn't rank Bird or Kobe over him.

vCash
    I voted for the #7th best player.

And get Garnett up there.

vCash
    Id go with Bird

vCash
    For me, longevity is the only reason Bron isn't up here. He has as many rings and more MVPs as Hakeem but I want to see a few more years from LeBron first.

vCash
    Its a travesty Bird hasn't gone yet. The reasoning is so stupid too. If Dirk had no qualms "dominating" these big, tall, strong athletes with his jump shot and BBIQ there is no reason Bird wouldn't do the same when you add his phenomenal passing and intangible instincts.

Too many old guys get shafted on this forum for reasons like "they wouldn't be able to hang today". The cream of the crop is going to rise in any era because each era has its own level playing field, every era has their own freak athletes. If LeBron was in the 80s you could come up with reasons his body would be diminished and he would be facing much different rules than he faces today where a slap on the shoulder is a flagrant and ejection. The eras will even out.
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 07-08-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    For me, longevity is the only reason Bron isn't up here. He has as many rings and more MVPs as Hakeem but I want to see a few more years from LeBron first.
    But why? I do not understand the longevity argument AT ALL and I never have. If a player has accomplished everything and more that another player did at a much earlier point in his career and his peak statistical production is superior, **** longevity. Lebron is undoubtedly the best basketball player left on the board in terms of production and accolades and it shouldn't matter how long he played in the league. Hell, he's already played roughly 70% of the amount of games that Hakeem has in the regular season while playing in 13 more postseason games. That's more than enough of a sample size to make a judgment about the two players' careers.

And it's really, REALLY hard for me to stay objective when it comes to Hakeem Olajuwon. We're talking about my favorite player of all time in any sport and the athlete who made me want to watch sports in the first place. So I'm certainly not being a homer in this case by saying Lebron should be ranked higher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Its a travesty Bird hasn't gone yet. The reasoning is so stupid too. If Dirk had no qualms "dominating" these big, tall, strong athletes with his jump shot and BBIQ there is no reason Bird wouldn't do the same when you add his phenomenal passing and intangible instincts.

Too many old guys get shafted on this forum for reasons like "they wouldn't be able to hang today". The cream of the crop is going to rise in any era because each era has its own level playing field.
    I don't think that's why Bird hasn't gone yet. The reason Bird hasn't gone yet is that he's just simply not as good as the players ahead of him. Compare his career and peak production to Lebron and the guy just doesn't stack up. I definitely think Bird should go top 10 and I would actually put him ahead of Kobe (unlikely many posters), but he simply was not as good at his peak as Lebron was. Period. And unlike the case with Hakeem or other players, you can't argue longevity for Bird over Lebron as Lebron has played in only 55 fewer games than Bird did in his carer and Lebron's peak and prime are already far longer than Bird's.

vCash
    I think the the rest of the top 10 should be:

7. Lebron James
    8. Hakeem Olajuwon
    9. Larry Bird
    10. Bill Russell

You could make a strong case for Kobe at 10, but I just can't justify ranking him ahead of Russell because so much of the Kobe argument revolves around postseason success and Russell is the king of postseason dominance.

vCash
    I voted for Hakeem, although I do feel as if I made a mistake not voting for LeBron. It just doesn't seem right having Hakeem or LeBron falling to number eight. Same applies for Bird, but sadly someone has to get the short end of the stick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    But why? I do not understand the longevity argument AT ALL and I never have. If a player has accomplished everything and more that another player did at a much earlier point in his career and his peak statistical production is superior, **** longevity. Lebron is undoubtedly the best basketball player left on the board in terms of production and accolades and it shouldn't matter how long he played in the league. Hell, he's already played roughly 70% of the amount of games that Hakeem has in the regular season while playing in 13 more postseason games. That's more than enough of a sample size to make a judgment about the two players' careers.

And it's really, REALLY hard for me to stay objective when it comes to Hakeem Olajuwon. We're talking about my favorite player of all time in any sport and the athlete who made me want to watch sports in the first place. So I'm certainly not being a homer in this case by saying Lebron should be ranked higher.
    But you just put LeBron over Kobe, as well. I don't see how you can make that argument. It's the only reason Bird isn't ranked higher than he should be. Hands down, he's a top 5 talent but his longevity just doesn't cut it. I don't judge everything by accolades. I also have to judge a player on how long they have been performing and how well they played as well. Just give James a few more years (2-3) and see what he can carve out from those years. If he can be the same player he was the past few years while getting a ring-2 and 2 more MVP's? He's a top 5 for me. But for now, I want to see what else he can do. And I'm a huge Bron fan. I just respect the longevity of some players. No way Bron has anything over Kobe other than MVP's.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast