Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Expectations for the Young/Core Guys 2014-2015

What do guys expect from the young guys this season? I'm counting seven guys in that category. I'm not including rookie 2nd rounders because I don't think they will be in the regular rotation if everyone's healthy. I'm also not counting Mayo, Ersan, Zaza, Delfino, Wright, or Raduljica.

My opinion is very optimistic, so take that into account.

Jabari Parker

33 MPG 18 PPG 6 RPG 43% FG

I think Parker will have a very nice rookie year, though he'll struggle some defensively. He'll need to make some big improvements to his body and his shooting stroke before his sophomore season to take his game to the next level.

Giannis

33 MPG 12 PPG 7 RPG 4 APG 2 BPG 44% FG

I think Giannis will really start being a stat-sheet stuffer this season, but will still make his share of mistakes. I don't think he'll really develop into an offensive weapon until year 3.

Brandon Knight

35 MPG 18 PPG 5 APG 43% FG

I think Knight will be a pretty similar player to last season in terms of volume, but he will be a little more polished and efficient. He'll spend more time off the ball, cut down on turnovers, and benefit from having to force less offense.

Nate Wolters

30 MPG 11 PPG 6 APG 44% FG

I think Wolters is a guy who will be much improved this season. I read that he has been working hard this offseason and has gotten bigger and even a bit taller. Apparently he's over 6'5" and he's added 7-8 lbs of muscle and is up over 200 lbs at 5% body fat. He's also supposedly been making improvements on his perimeter shooting. I fully expect him to take a step forward this season and get a lot of minutes at PG allowing Knight to play off the ball. I think he'll be a good defender and a great facilitator.

Khris Middleton

30 MPG 14 PPG 45% FG

I think Khris Middleton is about what he is. Efficient scorer and shooter, solid but not great defender. I definitely think he'll get big minutes over Mayo or anyone else as a swing 2-3.

John Henson

28 MPG 12 PPG 8 RPG 2 BPG
    I don't think Henson has a ton of upside at this point, but hopefully he'll get a little stronger and more polished. I'm also hopeful that he'll develop enough of a 15 footer to be able to play with Sanders in short stretches. He'll never be better than the 4th offensive option if the core is healthy, but I still think his length and athleticism will get him enough dunks and other high percentage looks to score 12 PPG. Most importantly, I hope he greatly improves his off-ball defensive rotations so that he can become an impact player on that end of the floor.

Larry Sanders

30 MPG 10 PPG 10 RPG 3 BPG
    Sanders is probably the biggest question mark going into the season. I'm really optimistic though, because Kidd really likes him and will let him play. Drew seemed to be the opposite. I think he returns to form defensively and remains little more than a dunker offensively.

Overall, very excited about this core of seven guys, and think that they could grow into a really good team after an exciting building season this year.
    Last edited by thornga2; 07-07-2014 at 10:57 PM.

vCash
    Wolters is a 6th man. I think there's legitimate interest on our end with regards to Eric Bledsoe, as we were rumored to be in trade talks last year for him a bit. Just a matter of if Phoenix will match or not.

IF we somehow got him -

PG - Eric Bledsoe... 35mpg 18ppg 6reb 5ast -- kid is finally getting his shot after playing behind CP3 for his first couple years. He and Knight could make for a very good backcourt tandem.

SG - Brandon Knight... 35mpg 16ppg 4reb 5ast -- his numbers would suffer a tad in this scenario due to useage dropping but he'd become a more consistent player and a very valuable asset down the road

SF - Giannis... 30mpg 11ppg 7reb 4ast 2stl 1blk -- As you mentioned he's developing and will for a few years yet, but he won't feel so overwhelmed this year and will be able to run free.

PF - Jabari Parker... 32mpg 16ppg 8reb 2ast -- Going to be a learning curve with him, but he should solidify our offense a bit. We've been putrid for awhile now and hopefully he can provide us with that help.

C - Larry Sanders... 33mpg 9ppg 10reb 1ast 2blk -- Larry is going to bounce back this year and become the force we saw previous. I think he really begins to mature as a human being and becomes the most valuable player to our team.

Wolters, Mayo, Middleton, Henson, Ilyasova provide meaningful minutes and contribution off the bench, I think they are going to give Mayo another shot at this point.

If we don't get Bledsoe I think we will go with a combination of Knight at PG, Giannis/Mayo interchanging at SG, and Giannis/Parker/Ilyasova interchanging at SF/PF the rest of the way, with Sanders at C.

PG - Knight
    SG - Mayo (Giannis) Middleton
    SF - Giannis (Parker) Middleton
    PF - Ilyasova (Parker) Henson
    C - Sanders
    Last edited by Superfly; 07-08-2014 at 12:44 AM.

vCash
    I definitely agree Wolters best role will be as a bench guy. If the Bucks were to somehow sign Bledsoe, I would like to see a rotation of

PG- Bledsoe 34, Wolters 14
    SG- Knight 34, Wolters 10, Middleton 4
    SF- Giannis 24, Middleton 24
    PF- Parker 33, Giannis 9, Henson 6
    C- Sanders 28, Henson 20

Very nice 8 man rotation. I wouldn't put Illyasova or Mayo on the court if those eight guys were healthy.

vCash
    Ideally I would want to pick up Jeremy Lamb or Ben McLemore for OJ or Ersan respectively and then have a young lineup of

Knight
    McLemore/Lamb
    Giannis
    Parker
    Sanders

With a solid bench of Henson, Middleton, Wolters, Inglis, etc.

But that being said, I predict:

Knight 19 ppg 3 rpg 6 apg 44% FG 38% 3P- I think adding Jabari will make Brandon more efficient. Plus having JKidd as coach will help Knight's playmaking ability and hopefully cuts down on some of those bad turnovers.

Middleton 14 ppg 4 rpg 3 apg 45% FG 40% 3P- He will get the majority of shots off the bench and will benefit from another year of off season work. I expect a few big offensive nights from him where he may get 25-30 points.

Giannis 14ppg 6rpg 4apg 1 spg 1.5 bpg 44% FG 36% 3P- Giannis will take a step forward as a jumpshooter and will benefit from having Jabari down low. He will flirt with triple doubles and will exploit some matchups as a 6'11 playmaker.

Jabari 19ppg 8rpg 2apg 1bpg 45% FG 35% 3P- He will have some growing pains through the year and have some bad shooting nights, but he will also exploit some defenders as he plays the 4. He'll be an all star snub.

Sanders 9ppg 9rpg 1spg 2.5 bpg 52% FG- Larry gets himself together and goes back to being the elite rim protector we all know he can be. He helps cover for Jabari on D.

If we get this production, no reason why we can't win at least 30 games.

vCash
    thronga, I don't mean to criticize, but that's 95 points per game out of those 7 guys. I know injuries and things can get everyone slightly inflated numbers, but that's a lot of points if those guys aren't hurt, especially since someone like Mayo or Delfino will need to get minutes at guard, and Zaza or someone will get a few minutes a game.

Also, expecting 18-19 points out of Parker is really high expectations. For reference, 20 points per game puts him around one of the top 25 rookie seasons of all time. That is a really big expectation. Lebron and Durant both averaged right about 20 as rookies. I think expecting 15 out of Parker is a good number to shoot for, and anything over that is an added bonus.

12 for Henson is probably unrealistic as well. It looks like Parker will be playing a ton of 4, and Henson won't be the primary backup 5 every game, since he's a poor matchup against anyone with strength. I don't think there's any real way he really gets many additional minutes. Some nights he'll play center at times, but I can't see that happening every night. Imagine Henson and Parker trying to defend any big guy with any strength. Zaza or Miroslav will see minutes those nights for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    thronga, I don't mean to criticize, but that's 95 points per game out of those 7 guys. I know injuries and things can get everyone slightly inflated numbers, but that's a lot of points if those guys aren't hurt, especially since someone like Mayo or Delfino will need to get minutes at guard, and Zaza or someone will get a few minutes a game.

Also, expecting 18-19 points out of Parker is really high expectations. For reference, 20 points per game puts him around one of the top 25 rookie seasons of all time. That is a really big expectation. Lebron and Durant both averaged right about 20 as rookies. I think expecting 15 out of Parker is a good number to shoot for, and anything over that is an added bonus.

12 for Henson is probably unrealistic as well. It looks like Parker will be playing a ton of 4, and Henson won't be the primary backup 5 every game, since he's a poor matchup against anyone with strength. I don't think there's any real way he really gets many additional minutes. Some nights he'll play center at times, but I can't see that happening every night. Imagine Henson and Parker trying to defend any big guy with any strength. Zaza or Miroslav will see minutes those nights for sure.
    I don't think 18-19 poins is unrealistic because he had a special freshman year. He's not some typical prospect who were just saying we think is really good. He is ARGUABLY one of the best college prospects in years.

vCash
    Yeah I think Parker will score 18 but I don't think he'll do it all that efficiently as a rookie. I just think he'll be a primary scoring option, which most rookies aren't.

MCW scored almost 17 last year, and he's not nearly the scorer Parker is.

And yeah that is 95 PPG from 7 guys but I think they'll all play big minutes, and PPG numbers do get inflated by injury like you said.
    Last edited by thornga2; 07-08-2014 at 06:03 PM.

vCash
    I don't think he's Durant or Lebron good. He got his scoring in college by being an extremely high usage player. He'll get plenty of looks here, but I don't think he'll find it as easy to score at the pro level as most people think. Not saying he'll be a bad scorer or that he's terrible or anything, but 18-19 ppg as a rookie is really, really good.

Only 24 players in the league averaged at least 18 last year and only 23 players the year before. Its not like 18 a game is just a small amount. He will have an adjustment period in the pros. I'm going to temper my expectations from him.

vCash
    Yeah I think the 18 PPG has more to do with the fact that he'll be a high usage offensive player from day one. With the current roster, and I think it's unlikely that there's any new impact talent when the season starts, he'll be the #1 scoring option on the team immediately. I also think that playing with Giannis at the F spots will be trading some offense for defense, because he'll end up in a lot of favorable physical matchups, even as a rookie.

Also, he also scored well in college because efficient while also being high volume. His true shooting percentage was like 56% which is very solid for a guy shooting as much as he did. He'll need to polish up his game to maintain that kind of efficiency at the NBA level, but with more minutes at a faster pace, I think it's likely that he'll get more shots this season than he did at Duke.

Carmelo Anthony is a very common NBA comparison, and although I think Carmelo was the better player as a rookie, he averaged 21 PPG. I think 18 for Parker is a reasonably optimistic prediction.
    Last edited by thornga2; 07-08-2014 at 11:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thornga2 View Post
    Yeah I think the 18 PPG has more to do with the fact that he'll be a high usage offensive player from day one. With the current roster, and I think it's unlikely that there's any new impact talent when the season starts, he'll be the #1 scoring option on the team immediately. I also think that playing with Giannis at the F spots will be trading some offense for defense, because he'll end up in a lot of favorable physical matchups, even as a rookie.

Also, he also scored well in college because efficient while also being high volume. His true shooting percentage was like 56% which is very solid for a guy shooting as much as he did. He'll need to polish up his game to maintain that kind of efficiency at the NBA level, but with more minutes at a faster pace, I think it's likely that he'll get more shots this season than he did at Duke.

Carmelo Anthony is a very common NBA comparison, and although I think Carmelo was the better player as a rookie, he averaged 21 PPG. I think 18 for Parker is a reasonably optimistic prediction.

This is a comparison of Carmelo and Jabari.. They're quite similar stats .. Jabari actually had less assists than Carmelo by a margin

But I think carmelo faced better competition and was on a better team and had to share the ball a bit more..

vCash
    18 ppg for Parker is very realistic. Bucks have no other real high usage players except Knight.. Giannis loves to pass the rock so, Sanders just dunks mainly.. Parker should be able to jack up a ton of shots..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thornga2 View Post
    What do guys expect from the young guys this season? I'm counting seven guys in that category. I'm not including rookie 2nd rounders because I don't think they will be in the regular rotation if everyone's healthy. I'm also not counting Mayo, Ersan, Zaza, Delfino, Wright, or Raduljica.

My opinion is very optimistic, so take that into account.

Jabari Parker

33 MPG 18 PPG 6 RPG 43% FG

I think Parker will have a very nice rookie year, though he'll struggle some defensively. He'll need to make some big improvements to his body and his shooting stroke before his sophomore season to take his game to the next level.

Giannis

33 MPG 12 PPG 7 RPG 4 APG 2 BPG 44% FG

I think Giannis will really start being a stat-sheet stuffer this season, but will still make his share of mistakes. I don't think he'll really develop into an offensive weapon until year 3.

Brandon Knight

35 MPG 18 PPG 5 APG 43% FG

I think Knight will be a pretty similar player to last season in terms of volume, but he will be a little more polished and efficient. He'll spend more time off the ball, cut down on turnovers, and benefit from having to force less offense.

Nate Wolters

30 MPG 11 PPG 6 APG 44% FG

I think Wolters is a guy who will be much improved this season. I read that he has been working hard this offseason and has gotten bigger and even a bit taller. Apparently he's over 6'5" and he's added 7-8 lbs of muscle and is up over 200 lbs at 5% body fat. He's also supposedly been making improvements on his perimeter shooting. I fully expect him to take a step forward this season and get a lot of minutes at PG allowing Knight to play off the ball. I think he'll be a good defender and a great facilitator.

Khris Middleton

30 MPG 14 PPG 45% FG

I think Khris Middleton is about what he is. Efficient scorer and shooter, solid but not great defender. I definitely think he'll get big minutes over Mayo or anyone else as a swing 2-3.

John Henson

28 MPG 12 PPG 8 RPG 2 BPG
    I don't think Henson has a ton of upside at this point, but hopefully he'll get a little stronger and more polished. I'm also hopeful that he'll develop enough of a 15 footer to be able to play with Sanders in short stretches. He'll never be better than the 4th offensive option if the core is healthy, but I still think his length and athleticism will get him enough dunks and other high percentage looks to score 12 PPG. Most importantly, I hope he greatly improves his off-ball defensive rotations so that he can become an impact player on that end of the floor.

Larry Sanders

30 MPG 10 PPG 10 RPG 3 BPG
    Sanders is probably the biggest question mark going into the season. I'm really optimistic though, because Kidd really likes him and will let him play. Drew seemed to be the opposite. I think he returns to form defensively and remains little more than a dunker offensively.

Overall, very excited about this core of seven guys, and think that they could grow into a really good team after an exciting building season this year.
    I don't think most of these guys will be getting these numbers, mostly because I don't think they are going to get the requisite minutes to get them. I'd expect the vets to get a significant share of minutes, especially the first half of the year, in order to showcase them for trades.

I think looking at the last 3 months of the season will be a better indicator for the young guys since they should have more minutes as a few of the vets are hopefully moved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mseds99 View Post
    I don't think most of these guys will be getting these numbers, mostly because I don't think they are going to get the requisite minutes to get them. I'd expect the vets to get a significant share of minutes, especially the first half of the year, in order to showcase them for trades.

I think looking at the last 3 months of the season will be a better indicator for the young guys since they should have more minutes as a few of the vets are hopefully moved.
    I really hope that's not true.