Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Trade Deadline Discussion

The trade season seems to have gotten off to an earlier start than normal with teams already acquiring some of the big name pitchers who were believed to be available. The Pirates haven't been sitting on the sidelines either as they have already completed three trades this year that involved major league players.

Still as we get deeper into July chatter is going to pick up and more and more moves will get done. What the Pirates will do remains to be seen. Feel free to post any thoughts or rumors you have/hear about the Pirates here. Much like the past few seasons we will try to generate some discussion.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Not much specific going on in relation to the the Pirates but MLB Trade Rumors has started their annual Trade Market by position series with C and 2B. Those two positions don't appear to be ones the Pirates will be all that interested in but you never know. The catcher situation after this season looks a little questionable so maybe they make a move for someone like Castro or Grandal if the price is right.

vCash
    Would you try and chase Tulowitzki? Move Pedro to 1st, Walker to 3rd, Mercer to 2nd? That's my pipedream at this point. You'd have to give up a shitload to get him though.

vCash
    Tulo would be an amazing get but keep in mind he still has approximately 123 million guaranteed to him. He very well may end up being worth that but that is a gigantic amount for the Pirates to take especially considering he hasn't exactly been Cal Ripken the last few years (health wise I'm meaning). It seems reasonable to say he'll be worth the contract but worth it enough to give the Rockies a package of players like Glasnow, Hanson, Ramirez, plus*?

*No clue what an actual package would be of course but I'd imagine it would take at least two of our top prospects, plus a third very good one and then some smaller pieces.

vCash
    Also it is unlikely all that movement would happen in season of course. Starting next season though I could absolutely see the Pirates moving Walker to 3B and then either trying to trade Alvarez or move him to 1B. Mercer would likely remain at SS with Harrison holding down 2B while Hanson gets ready in AAA. Of course all of this would mean the Pirates would have to make a real effort to improve their bench.

vCash
    Something a little tangible. Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal lists the Pirates as possible suitors for AJ Pierzynski and Koji Uehara. Pierznski has just been DFA'd so while that doesn't end the possibility of a trade it certainly shows it would be minimal. With that being said do you take him as a backup catcher over Stewart assuming its a low cost and Boston eats most of the salary?

Uehara is a horse of a different color here though. You want to talk about acquiring someone to stabilize the bullpen he seems like he would be a great fit. Now he would be just a rental and one with a reasonably high price (considering he is rental RP) but it just might be worth giving him a look.

vCash
    read a post that the pirates are dangling alvarez as trade bait ?????

vCash
    Just a question to you Pirates fans. Coming from from Oklahoma I'm a Jordy Mercer fan, I played against him a few times in high school as well. My question is where you view Jordy in the Pirates long term future if you do at all?

vCash
    That depends on the fan really. My personal opinion is that the Pirates will buy out a few of Walker's free agent years eventually and that him, Mercer and Hanson will be the long term (next 3-4 years) solutions for 2B, 3B and SS in some arrangement.

Others tend to think he would ideally be suited as the top middle infield backup.

vCash
    Thanks for the input! I feel like he still has room to grow at short but also would be a great utility guy.

vCash
    I am thinking that with all these injuries happening to pitchers that it just wouldn't be worth selling the farm or even making huge investments in any of them. I think the best way to do it would be through drafting and once someone like Cole is about to hit free agency you trade him and get as much as you can. Even if the Pirates were a team like the Yankees and could afford anybody I still think that is the route you go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nickster16301 View Post
    I am thinking that with all these injuries happening to pitchers that it just wouldn't be worth selling the farm or even making huge investments in any of them. I think the best way to do it would be through drafting and once someone like Cole is about to hit free agency you trade him and get as much as you can. Even if the Pirates were a team like the Yankees and could afford anybody I still think that is the route you go.
    here is an idea that requires no trade the pirates sign martin to an extension and shift him to a platoon at first base he catches some games but allows sanchez to be brought up and move the sanchez that now plays first base as a trade option also liriano is in a contract year if he comes back and the pirates are still treading water trade himfor a couple prospects

vCash
    Haven't posted in here in about the past year and i know I'm coming in hot with this idea but we need a dominant pitcher… We have to have someone who you know can win you 2 games in a series. We also need some pen help.

Do you think theres anyway we could pull off a megadeal and land the prize of the market in David Price? Our farm is stocked with young, impressive talent that we flat out dont need with our young talent already at the big league level.

What about a deal like Pedro Alvarez-Jeff Locke-Josh Bell-Clay Holmes for Price and Balfour?

Id still look to get more relievers like Benoit, LaTroy Hawkins..

Make Harrison everyday at 3rd.

Staff..
    1. Price
    2. Liriano
    3. Cole
    4. Volquez
    5. Worley
    (Morton just out)

I think thats the look of a team ready to go at a world series.
    Last edited by SenecaValley46; 07-13-2014 at 06:49 PM.

vCash
    Rays wouldn't do that deal. They would be looking for a package most likely centered around prospects and Pedro of very little use to them with one of the best 3B in the game on their roster. Besides it is probably a fools errand to pay the (excuse the pun) price needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    Rays wouldn't do that deal. They would be looking for a package most likely centered around prospects and Pedro of very little use to them with one of the best 3B in the game on their roster. Besides it is probably a fools errand to pay the (excuse the pun) price needed.
    I just feel we have so much flexibility in our minor league system. Huge surplus of catchers, and outfielders to work with. Dont need Pedro (i was thinking he could be there DH) and then obviously if you add Price you can discard one of our starters (willing to trade any of them except Cole) theres really not much i wouldn't do to be able to add an ace like Price.

Only because of how theres just flat out not enough room on our roster for these really talented minor leaguers

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast