Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Is This AA's Last Year If No Playoffs?

Yes we've had injuries...yes we've had under-achievers...and so has EVERY other MLB team. I'm pretty sick-and-tired of AA's scrap heap, bargain basement acquisitions and general patch ethics. He makes a lot of moves, but with little-to-no results.

So...what's your take? Is this AA's last chance at the helm unless the Jays make the playoffs? Or do injuries and the belief in better days ahead save him?

If he comes away with next-to-nothing at the trade deadline, I wouldn't even wait until the end of the season to send him packing, because there'll be ZERO chance this team competes without some significant moves.
    Last edited by passengershawn; 07-06-2014 at 10:13 PM.

vCash
    I hope he is gone, paul Beeston as well.

vCash
    Yea, I feel like it's time. The cycle is almost over where you hype up and love a GM then hate on them on afterwards.

vCash
    I'm sure AA would love to do a deal but hands are tied! When he had to make a splash he did (last year with Miami) but you have to admit that it's frustrating when you have to "pitch" a deal to bigwigs who most likely know nothing about baseball to get more money.

But I'm sure if the Jays don't make it this year, Beeston and AA will definitely be on the hot seat -- but good luck to the next person coming in, not an easy gig to be a Jays GM.

vCash
    I don't know if I want AA gone just yet, mostly because I think it's going to be hard for us to find a competent replacements. AA > Ricciardi, so.

vCash
    I ****ing hate Paul Beeston with a passion. If no playoffs this year both should be gone, but i wanr someone who really knows a thing or two about baseball at the top of the org

vCash
    To be frank, we, as fans, are likely only seeing the surface and not knowing things behind the doors. Iíd love to see leaks of BJsí free agent/trade discussions . Judging by the rumours, reports etc., AAís hands are tied. Losing out on Yu Darvish bid, restructuring players contract to accommodate Ervin Santanaís (failed) signing are just couple evidences of upper management being very restrictive on investing in BJs. I can't say I know but I often feel AA has been frustrated by his ideas not supported by upper management. I could sense that in many of his interviews and I donít think itís towards media and fans. Thereíre things he just can't expose to us.
    Last edited by iscream; 07-07-2014 at 12:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iscream View Post
    To be frank, we, as fans, are likely only seeing the surface and not knowing things behind the doors. Iíd love to see leaks of BJsí free agent/trade discussions . Judging by the rumours, reports etc., AAís hands are tied. Losing out on Yu Darvish bid, restructuring players contract to accomendate Ervin Santanaís (failed) signing are just couple evidences of upper management being very restrictive on investing in BJs. I can say I know but I often feel AA has been frastruted by his ideas not supported by upper management. I could sense that in many of his interviews and I donít think itís towards media and fans. Thereíre things he just can expose to us.
    I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Maybe AA is taking more heat than he deserves, but in saying that, he still could have addressed two glaring team weaknesses that were evident in spring training which could really help right now- SP (there were likely some guys out there that could have helped) and bench.

vCash
    I think AA has done enough to keep his job. Frankly, I think he's done a good job of acquiring/upgrading the team talent. Considering where this team was, say, even 2 years ago it is lightyears ahead.

vCash
    Why are you guys panicking? And firing the GM is supposed to make the team better somehow?
    Look. I'm a jays life, not just a fan for this year. That's why I'd like to keep these prospects and see Sanchez, Norris and co. Pitch for this team for a long time. I would have been livid if he traded those guys + Pompey for a rental. We have a wave of talent right now an we have another one coming in a couple years. I'm not concerned about the pitching because when your in the playoffs you only need 4 starters. Stroman, dickey, MB, and happ/morrow/Sanchez/someone I can't remember. I'd be all for trading some guys for a 2b/3b or another mid tier SP, but if he sells the farm then that will end up costing him his job after this wave dissipates.

Let me get this strait. You want to fire the GM because the team is fighting for the playoffs instead of running away with it?

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Why are you guys panicking? And firing the GM is supposed to make the team better somehow?
    Look. I'm a jays life, not just a fan for this year. That's why I'd like to keep these prospects and see Sanchez, Norris and co. Pitch for this team for a long time. I would have been livid if he traded those guys + Pompey for a rental. We have a wave of talent right now an we have another one coming in a couple years. I'm not concerned about the pitching because when your in the playoffs you only need 4 starters. Stroman, dickey, MB, and happ/morrow/Sanchez/someone I can't remember. I'd be all for trading some guys for a 2b/3b or another mid tier SP, but if he sells the farm then that will end up costing him his job after this wave dissipates.

Let me get this strait. You want to fire the GM because the team is fighting for the playoffs instead of running away with it?
    I think, to this point, he's had enough time to assemble a top-end club. All the money they pour into scouting...what has that produced the past 3 years? Either his hands are tied with upper management, or he can't seem to get the right deal to put this team over the top. Don't forget, where this team is at this point in the season has more to do with pure luck and 5 weeks of over-achieving, than it does with the moves AA has had made. I was a big fan of his hiring, and he did what he could with a tough Halladay situation...he got Wells' contract off the books...and he made the gamble with the Marlins/Mets. So far...Dickey has been so-so (of which they gave up prospects that should have gotten a better-than-so-so SP)...Reyes has been meh....and Buerhle has been the best and most consistent...but has he been better than what Henderson Alvarez would have given this past 1.5 years?

Maybe Beeston is the bigger problem...maybe it's Gibbons (VERY questionable hiring)...maybe it's all three. But someone is going to take the fall, and at least Gibbons can't be blamed for not acquiring some of the pieces everyone knew they needed in spring training....

vCash
    He's done a ton of good, but the Dickey and Rogers trades were so, so, so terrible it's hard to let go. Regardless, meaningful September baseball and he's not going anywhere.

vCash
    Oh yeah. Hutch is the 4th pitcher.

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    He's done a ton of good, but the Dickey and Rogers trades were so, so, so terrible it's hard to let go. Regardless, meaningful September baseball and he's not going anywhere.
    Fair enough. Both trades were really, really bad in hindsight. I just think there is enough good stuff happening (decent farm-system and finally some prospects graduating) that I would hate to see Rogers pull the plug and go with some other unknown for no reason other than optics and creating the perception of doing something.

vCash
    Like really. Trade for shark. Who get knocked out of the playoff rotation? MB or dickey? No. Hutch? No. Stroman? No. The only trade that works is for an infielder. If we do that then we better not trade the future front 4 (hutch, stroman, Sanchez, and Norris)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast