Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    Franklin is at least a utility infielder with upside for more. I don't think you can ask for much more in return for Byrd.

Looks like he's scuttling any offer to M's by asking for his option to be picked up. My bet is he remains more valuable in the middle of the Phillies order than anything we can get back via trade.
    I'd take Franklin, Ackley or Brad Miller. They've all been fairly awful, but still have potential. Ackley's 2013 2nd half was encouraging.

Ugh Coil. Got smacked

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Franco had me at hello.

- I love Ray Lewis.

Two series in row. Woah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

Phillies Game/month thread: July

As exciting these last couple weeks for the Phillies have been, I have to remind myself that even if they have a .700 winning percentage here on out, they still will only be 3 games over .500. I need to get a grip that they are not the '02 A's and they just had an equally bad two weeks prior to.

Better baseball under new manager. Just saying. I liked ryne but he didn't connect with these players.
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

The Phillies winning and being such a mediocre team is terrible for them. Not that the top 5 or so draftees are Bryce Harper or Strasburg types but losing out on a top pick isn't great for the Phillies right now no matter how good of prospects they got back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    The Phillies winning and being such a mediocre team is terrible for them. Not that the top 5 or so draftees are Bryce Harper or Strasburg types but losing out on a top pick isn't great for the Phillies right now no matter how good of prospects they got back.
    If they stay winning like this until the end of the season, are they still mediocre?

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    If they stay winning like this until the end of the season, are they still mediocre?
    They are 18 games out of a WC, 15.5 out of the division title, they lost their best pitcher, and they have a bunch of platoon type bats and a poor starting rotation and defense.

It's nice to see them win, it's never nice to see them lose, but do you think they are going to come back and fight for the playoffs?

They dug themselves in such a hole that they won't be playoff contenders but now if they keep winning they will go from getting the number 1 overall pick to possibly middle to bottom of the top 10.

It is nice to see that they could be closer to building a contender sooner than later but I'd rather them stay closer to a top top pick than not.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

They are 18 games out of a WC, 15.5 out of the division title, they lost their best pitcher, and they have a bunch of platoon type bats and a poor starting rotation and defense.

It's nice to see them win, it's never nice to see them lose, but do you think they are going to come back and fight for the playoffs?

They dug themselves in such a hole that they won't be playoff contenders but now if they keep winning they will go from getting the number 1 overall pick to possibly middle to bottom of the top 10.

It is nice to see that they could be closer to building a contender sooner than later but I'd rather them stay closer to a top top pick than not.
    No, I in no way see a playoff possibility, but that has nothing to do with what they are. I know that people were saying the Royals were playing over their heads last year.

Who knows, maybe this is a sign of what's to come. I have no idea. I just wonder what people would be saying if this was the first month in the season and not the first month after the all-star break.

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    No, I in no way see a playoff possibility, but that has nothing to do with what they are. I know that people were saying the Royals were playing over their heads last year.

Who knows, maybe this is a sign of what's to come. I have no idea. I just wonder what people would be saying if this was the first month in the season and not the first month after the all-star break.
    I think you'd get a very similar reaction. If it was the first month of the season with Cliff Lee, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard all healthy and playing prime them, and Cole Hamels and Papelbon still on the team with Franco, Nola, Giles, Herrera, Hernandez, playing this way, I'd say that hopes should be up, but the talent just isn't there right now to keep up this sort of run (a sign of what you said "playing over their heads).

The Royals may have played over their heads but I liken them to the early Phillies runs (07, 08) in that the talent was there regardless of playing over their heads. Moose, Hosmer, Gordon, the bullpen, Cain, plus others were rated highly in their farm and finely started putting it together with a few other parts, like those aforementioned Phillies.

I think you'd get a very similar reaction. If it was the first month of the season with Cliff Lee, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard all healthy and playing prime them, and Cole Hamels and Papelbon still on the team with Franco, Nola, Giles, Herrera, Hernandez, playing this way, I'd say that hopes should be up, but the talent just isn't there right now to keep up this sort of run (a sign of what you said "playing over their heads).

The Royals may have played over their heads but I liken them to the early Phillies runs (07, 08) in that the talent was there regardless of playing over their heads. Moose, Hosmer, Gordon, the bullpen, Cain, plus others were rated highly in their farm and finely started putting it together with a few other parts, like those aforementioned Phillies.
    Why does what the scouts say matter? Moose is a mediocre 3B at best though he was a first round pick. Gordon and Cain are in their prime and something tells me this is the best you're going to see from them. Hosmer is their Utley. The only one who truly has the potential to live up to his hype. Regardless, people still said they were not all they were showing last year and most thought they would come down to earth soon enough.

Franco, Galvis, Herrera, and Hernandez were all international signings. Maybe what they are showing is the real deal. Who knows? If this pace is held up and they end the season at .500, something tells me these players as well as Nola & Giles may be thought of differently than they are right now. We will see. Regardless, I am having fun watching these guys.

+1

- I love Ray Lewis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12