Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Going Forward: Ramirez or Arruebarrena?

Assuming to keep we're not going to get Hanley signed for a nice team friendly deal of 3-4 years but that it would take 6-7 years would you rather take a chance that Erisbel will hit enough to compliment his insane glove or take the better hitter who declining defensively and struggles to stay healthy? Obviously you're gonna lose quite a bit of offensive production if you go with EA.

Personally I'd rather save the money and take a chance on on Erisbel rather than the chance on a guy whom is 30-31 - also the prospect of watching that glove for the next 5-6 years or so just mouthwatering and too good to pass up. They've also given him 5/25 which if he's not going to get an extended chance to play every day @ SS is a waste.

What say you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
    Assuming to keep we're not going to get Hanley signed for a nice team friendly deal of 3-4 years but that it would take 6-7 years would you rather take a chance that Erisbel will hit enough to compliment his insane glove or take the better hitter who declining defensively and struggles to stay healthy? Obviously you're gonna lose quite a bit of offensive production if you go with EA.

Personally I'd rather save the money and take a chance on on Erisbel rather than the chance on a guy whom is 30-31 - also the prospect of watching that glove for the next 5-6 years or so just mouthwatering and too good to pass up. They've also given him 5/25 which if he's not going to get an extended chance to play every day @ SS is a waste.

What say you?
    The only way he gets a 7 year deal is if it's for 15ish a season, which might be worth it at that price....

Quite a bit isn't the half of it, Hanley is one of the top hitting IF in the league. He would be 1st among all second basemen in the league by kind of a lot, he would be barely behind Beltre among all third basemen in baseball, and he is only 2nd behind Tulo among all SS in baseball. I also don't think this will be a problem because they are going to have Hanley play 3rd long term. I also seriously question if Arrubarruena can hit above the mendoza line.

What dose the prospect of watching him in the batters box for the next several years do to your mouth.

vCash
    So if Ramirez ends up at third and er at ss. Where does that put Seeger. Tampa bay?

vCash
    Hanley either ends up at 3rd or in the al as an dh. Another thought , I did not look to deep into it is, How long do we gonzales. Could Hanley ever end up at 1st?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    The only way he gets a 7 year deal is if it's for 15ish a season, which might be worth it at that price....

Quite a bit isn't the half of it, Hanley is one of the top hitting IF in the league. He would be 1st among all second basemen in the league by kind of a lot, he would be barely behind Beltre among all third basemen in baseball, and he is only 2nd behind Tulo among all SS in baseball. I also don't think this will be a problem because they are going to have Hanley play 3rd long term. I also seriously question if Arrubarruena can hit above the mendoza line.

What dose the prospect of watching him in the batters box for the next several years do to your mouth.
    Don't bank on that. every year people say that guys won't get thinks and that and they mostly do. If Choo can get 7/135 then so can Hanley. especially if he's one of the best hitting IF'ers in the game.

I also seriously question if Arrubarruena can hit above the mendoza line.

I don't think there's any real evidence that Erisbel can't hit, small sample hut he's just hit .357 @ AAA, and he's done ok in a very very small sample up here, I think they can work with him and make him an adequate bat.

Also while you're playing Hanley @ 3rd what are you gonna do with Seager in 2 years?

How many games do you think you're gonna get out of Ramirez in 3-4 years time? that's the question or rather the $130M question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by old blue View Post
    Hanley either ends up at 3rd or in the al as an dh. Another thought , I did not look to deep into it is, How long do we gonzales. Could Hanley ever end up at 1st?
    Thru 2018, Hanley will be a mess by then.

vCash
    Personally I like it when they put er in the game in the later innings. He is going to save games for us with his glove and should not be counted on to w in them with his bat.

vCash
    Personally I like it when they put er in the game in the later innings. He is going to save games for us with his glove and should not be counted on to w in them with his bat.
    Well yeah, he's never going to win games with his bat but having an elite short stop defensively is a huge asset especially with Kershaw's GB rates going up. Erisbel/Hanley is a nice 'problem' to have.

vCash
    Don't bank on that. every year people say that guys won't get thinks and that and they mostly do. If Choo can get 7/135 then so can Hanley. especially if he's one of the best hitting IF'ers in the game.

I don't think there's any real evidence that Erisbel can't hit, small sample hut he's just hit .357 @ AAA, and he's done ok in a very very small sample up here, I think they can work with him and make him an adequate bat.

Also while you're playing Hanley @ 3rd what are you gonna do with Seager in 2 years?

How many games do you think you're gonna get out of Ramirez in 3-4 years time? that's the question or rather the $130M question.
    He still has a pretty big whole in his swing, and he doesn't walk enough, but he is striking out a lot, if he could just be Erick Aybar at the plate I would be thrilled.

What are they going to do with Alex Guerrero.

They will get more out of him at 2nd or 3rd than at SS but no one is talking about him permanently at SS though.

vCash
    He still has a pretty big whole in his swing, and he doesn't walk enough, but he is striking out a lot, if he could just be Erick Aybar at the plate I would be thrilled.

What are they going to do with Alex Guerrero.

They will get more out of him at 2nd or 3rd than at SS but no one is talking about him permanently at SS though.

Plenty of options without giving Hanley a big contract, if we didn't then i'd be ok paying him it's a shame there's just not 1 more year of control with him, that would be ideal.

vCash
    If Hanley is resigned and that's a big if, it won't be to play short and it won't be for more than 5 years more like 4 years. My personal opinion is Hanley would do better as a left fielder, but that's a whole other can of worms. 3b or 2b would be the future home for Hanley. If Pederson is traded, maybe Gordon moves to CF they had him playing there in winter ball. Then Hanley moves to 2b, EA at short, Uribe at 3b and Seager at 3b in 2016. Guerrero becomes a super sub playing around the infield or trade bait.

There's a lot of ifs in there but my gut tells me Hanley becomes a free agent and we offer him a qualifying offer and see what he decides to do. Who knows we may trade Hanley before the trade deadline if the return is worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homerfan102 View Post
    If Hanley is resigned and that's a big if, it won't be to play short and it won't be for more than 5 years more like 4 years. My personal opinion is Hanley would do better as a left fielder, but that's a whole other can of worms. 3b or 2b would be the future home for Hanley. If Pederson is traded, maybe Gordon moves to CF they had him playing there in winter ball. Then Hanley moves to 2b, EA at short, Uribe at 3b and Seager at 3b in 2016. Guerrero becomes a super sub playing around the infield or trade bait.

There's a lot of ifs in there but my gut tells me Hanley becomes a free agent and we offer him a qualifying offer and see what he decides to do. Who knows we may trade Hanley before the trade deadline if the return is worth it.
    He would have to completely fall on his face in the 2nd half to only get 4 years, or it's like 4 years 30 million per.

Yes Arrubarruena backing up Seager and Guerrero at 3rd.

vCash
    There's absolutely no way I give Hanley 6 or 7 years. Guerrero, Sweeney and Arruebarrena can hold down the fort until Seager is ready late next year or the year after.

We have too many good middle infield prospects to get stuck with an injury prone Hanley long term.

vCash

Arruebarrena stats in the PCL mean nothing. He's still a very mediocre hitter. I don't want to keep Hanley either but expecting Erisbel to be an Aybar type hitter is way too much.

So if Ramirez ends up at third and er at ss. Where does that put Seeger. Tampa bay?
    Seager is going nowhere. He will play over both Ramirez and ER if he fulfills his potential. He's got Tulo or Ripken type potential. You don't pass that up for a guy who will never be anything but a mediocre hitter and a guy who gets injured every other game.
    Last edited by DerekBrink2; 07-06-2014 at 11:52 PM.

vCash
    He would have to completely fall on his face in the 2nd half to only get 4 years, or it's like 4 years 30 million per.

Yes Arrubarruena backing up Seager and Guerrero at 3rd.
    I could see Neddie pulling a page out of the McCourt playbook and over pay for a shorter term contract.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast