Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Post Bucks/76ers interested in Lin but traded to Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by dcenate05050 View Post
    Story going online now: ESPN sources say Sixers have expressed interest in trading for Jeremy Lin. Sources say Bucks are also exploring it

- Marc Stein

eh
    Story going online now: ESPN sources say Sixers have expressed interest in trading for Jeremy Lin. Sources say Bucks are also exploring it

- Marc Stein

eh
    The Philadelphia 76ers have expressed a willingness to trade for Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin depending on what sort of assets Houston is willing to attach to the deal, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Sixers, who have ample room on their payroll to absorb Lin's contract, have emerged as a leading contender to take on Lin in a trade that sends no salary back to the Rockets, which would enable the Rockets to extend a rich offer in free agency to either Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh.

Sources say that the Milwaukee Bucks are another team that would consider trading for Lin if the Rockets add a sweetener or two to the deal for the privilege of shedding Lin's contract to a team that can comfortably absorb it.

It's believed that the Rockets would have to send Philadelphia at least one future first-round pick to convince the Sixers to go through with the deal, given that Lin is owed $15 million next season despite the fact that his contract will only count for $8.4 million for salary cap purposes.

Sources say that the Sixers, though, are happy to take on Lin -- despite the presence of reigning NBA Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams as their starting point guard -- provided that the extra asset or two they get from Houston is sufficiently attractive.

Sixers general manager Sam Hinkie is close with Rockets GM Daryl Morey after working alongside Morey before Hinkie's move to Philadelphia.

The Rockets have maintained for months that they could find trades for center Omer Asik and Lin if necessary to create the needed salary-cap space to bring in a star player this summer.

Houston has already agreed to trade Asik to New Orleans for a first-round pick after July 10, but Rockets officials have privately maintained that they would only trade Lin if they are sure that they are getting a player of Anthony's or Bosh's caliber through free agency.

ESPN.com reported Thursday that the Rockets have already begun courting Bosh in anticipation of Anthony staying with the Knicks.

Sources say that Bosh and Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki likely would have been at the top of Houston's list when free agency began had the Rockets believed they had a shot at either player. Nowitzki verbally agreed to a new deal with the Mavericks on Thursday, but the sudden uncertainty in Miami about LeBron James' willingness to stay with the Heat has raised hopes in some rival front offices that Bosh will consider leaving if James indeed decides to go elsewhere.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...ets-jeremy-lin

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine 9m

RT @ESPNNBA: Sources: 76ers express interest in trading for Jeremy Lin (via @ESPNSteinLine)

http://es.pn/1pQs8oX
    Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine 12m

Trading for Lin all about asset(s) you can get from Houston WITH Lin. Teams with cap space want the future pick or prize that comes with him
    Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine 15m

Well this might gain traction soon. Rockets want Melo or Bosh.

vCash
    Paul Imig ‏@Paulimig 5m
    #Bucks exploring trades for Jeremy Lin, per @ESPNSteinLine. Any deal for Lin would have assets attached WITH him. NBA offseason is fun.
    Nick Kapetan ‏@KapN93 4m
    Report has the #Bucks interested in trading for Jeremy Lin. #Rockets #NBA
    ChiBullsNBA ‏@ChiBullsNBA 2m
    #76ers and #Bucks Reportedly Open to Trading for #Rockets PG #JeremyLin if #HOU Can Attach Additional Assets http://teamstre.am/1czAtEq
    Sports_Fanatic ‏@ProSportsNewss 10m
    #Bucks have expressed interest in trading for Jeremy Lin.
    Ceese Carcieri ‏@CESPN1 20m
    The #76ers and #Bucks are both expressing interest in trading for Jeremy Lin.
    Sam Shipley ‏@samshipley5 24m
    Report: According to ESPN, #Sixers have expressed interest in trading for Jeremy Lin. #Bucks exploring it as well. #NBA
    Tons of others posting it as well. Caught like wild fire on twitter.

vCash
    Jeremy Lin is entering the final year of a three-year contract worth $25 million. Since leaving New York in 2012 and signing with Houston, "Linsanity" has not continued.

In their pursuit of free agent stars like Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh or LeBron James, the Rockets need to dump some excess salary. They have made Lin's remaining salary available to pretty much anyone who wants it, and apparently the Bucks have thought about it:

No, the Bucks would not acquire Lin to win now. Knowing what a hit Lin's salary would cause on any team's salary, the Rockets are willing to give teams more than just him to take him off their hands:

Another report from Yahoo! Sports says the Bucks may not want to take on all of Lin's salary next year, which is $15 million of the $24 million in the contract he signed:

The Bucks, unfortunately, already have a guy like Lin in O.J. Mayo, who has two years of a three-year contract worth $24 million left.

Still, if the Bucks can acquire an extra draft pick just to pay Lin for one season, they would be smart to explore it, as they reportedly are.

Like the Bucks, Philadelphia would love another draft pick and are reportedly exploring the possibility, too.
    http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/wi-sports/mi...265902571.html

vCash
    Jarrett Jack is another contract that could be dumped with Assets but his contract is 3 yrs long.. Dion waiters could be shopped with him.

vCash
    Jarrett Jack is another contract that could be dumped with Assets but his contract is 3 yrs long.. Dion waiters could be shopped with him.
    apparently there is smoke to lbj going back to cleveland and theyre trying to move pieces to be able to sign lbj plus another max contract and jack and waiters are 2 of the contracts theyre trying to move... I wouldnt mind giving them a tpe or one of our second round pick non gaurenteed contracts for both jack and waiters and than call it an off season! them 2 would shore up our lack of back court depth!
    This thread right here is why i stay out of the nba main forum on psd lol
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...am-for-melo:D;)

vCash
    I don't love Jack as he's a bit older than you might want for a rebuild. But he may be a flipable piece at the deadline or next year, so I'd definitely do the deal.

As for Lin, I don't love him either, and I'm not sure what we give them right now. I'm guessing a deal of Lin and something for Ersan is probably their worst case scenario deal if all the big names sign elsewhere. That's probably a decent deal for us, but I'm not sure what else Houston can really throw in. Donatas doesn't really do us any good, unless we're moving Henson as well, since we already have a logjam at the 4. They don't really have anything else for nice young players, except Parsons, who isn't under contract and they aren't giving up for Ersan. End of the day its probably something like Ersan for Lin and a 2nd rounder, which doesn't really excite me all that much. Just clears money off the books quicker and allows for us to not have to sign a guard, since we realistically only have 3 guards worthy of playing on the roster.

vCash
    The Houston Rockets are poised to offer free agent stars like LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony a maximum contract in free agency after gauging the trade market for point guard Jeremy Lin. Lin is drawing interest from the Philadelphia 76ers and Milwaukee Bucks, according to ESPN's Marc Stein. The Rockets would likely attach at least one first-round draft pick as an incentive for taking Lin in the last season of his contract.

The Rockets can open up close to max cap space if Lin is dealt with no salary coming back. The motivation for trading Lin is the same motivation behind the Rockets' decision to deal backup center Omer Asik to the New Orleans Pelicans last month.

Lin is owed $15 million next season, though his contract only counts for $8.4 million against the cap. Let's break down this rumor.

Why this might happen

Houston's roster building plans have been clear: they want to allot the the majority of its cap space to star-level players while filing in the rest of the team with players on rookie deals or near minimum contracts. If Lin were to be traded, the only players on Houston's roster making more than $2 million per season would be James Harden and Dwight Howard.

The Rockets met with Anthony on Wednesday in the second stop on his free agency tour. Anthony is reportedly likely to re-sign with the New York Knicks, but he's also weighing offers from the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks and Los Angeles Lakers.

James is obviously the biggest fish in free agency as the best basketball player in the world. His plans remain a mystery at the moment, but his agent Rich Paul did meet with Houston and several other teams earlier in the week.

Bosh reportedly does not want to take a substantial pay cut to stay in Miami, even if James remains. The Rockets are hoping Bosh could be swayed to come to Houston with a big contract.

Why this might not happen

If the Rockets want to deal Lin, it appears as if it will go through. Lin averaged 12.5 points and 4.1 assists in 71 games last season, but it appears the motivation for Philadelphia or Milwaukee in acquiring him would be the draft pick (or picks) that also come in the deal.

Even if Lin is moved, there's no assurance the Rockets will be able to land a star free agent. The Western Conference is already so competitive that a 54-win Rockets team with Howard and Harden couldn't get out of the first round of the playoffs. Would James, Anthony or Bosh really want to switch to the much harder conference as each player enters his 30s?

Likelihood: 7/10

The likelihood of Lin getting traded appears to be a 10-out-of-10. The likelihood of the Rockets landing a star player like James, Anthony or Bosh is a coin flip at five-out-of-10. We'll meet in the middle here.
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/7/5...ladephia-76ers

vCash
    Pairing a pick and roll ace in Lin with Giannis and Sanders would be perfect
    Young Guns

vCash
    Lin has his defensive deficiencies, but would give us a true PG. Kidd could help him along a bit, plus we'd get the extra candy attached. I'd send them Ersan to free up our frontcourt if nothing else, we have too many goddam bodies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Lin has his defensive deficiencies, but would give us a true PG. Kidd could help him along a bit, plus we'd get the extra candy attached. I'd send them Ersan to free up our frontcourt if nothing else, we have too many goddam bodies.
    But they don't want Ers....They don't want salary coming back.

vCash
    My guess is that they have two separate deals lined up. I still think they'd like Ersan, but he's a plan C or D or something if they don't land a big name. I could be wrong, but they probably have a dump Lin plus assets for basically nothing deal lined up if Bosh or Melo say they will sign the max with them. And they may have a second deal worked out where it is something like Lin for Ersan with other pieces involved if they're still sitting on the sidelines when Bosh, Lebron and Melo all sign.

vCash
    Ersan is last resort option, if Rockets left with a big bag of money if they miss out on Melo/Bosh. But right now they don't want Ersan. They just wanna salary dump Lin. But if they miss out on free agents then they probably come calling offering up Lin's TPE for Ersan. lol

vCash
    From the sounds of the reports, they plan on keeping Lin unless they are getting that stud in free agency. I would think the move to trade Lin doesn't happen until Bosh or Melo or whoever they would be getting has verbally given them the go ahead and is about to sign the paperwork.

I could see an Ersan for Lin deal happening not long before the season starts if that's the deal that does go down. The Rockets will be exhausting every option before trading Lin. Realistically, if they do trade Lin, they would still need a pg. Beverly is the only other pg on the roster. While he's a menace defensively, he's really not a great pg worthy of playing 40 minutes a night, so they'd still have to make a move to get a pg, whether it be free agency or trade. Wish they had more assets. Something like Ersan and Wolters for Lin and some actual decent assets would probably be a nice trade for them if they are able to land Bosh or Melo. Problem is, at that point, their draft pick isn't very valuable, and the only other piece they could include would be Parsons in a sign and trade (but why would Parsons agree to a sign and trade?) or a few young PFs that don't fit our roster.

vCash
    Looks like Bosh was offered 4/88 from Houston, so it's on the table...seems like an overpay to me but if we can get essentially a free PG with an expiry contract I hope Bosh signs there. On a side note, it'd be a wonderful day just to see Bosh sign with Houston and begin the exodus of the big 3...the faces of the whiny elitist Miami fans would be the funniest thing to watch all year.

vCash
    There's so few true Miami fans. Half the people in the stadium last year would move on and not even give basketball a second thought if the Big 3 broke up. I think people would be so eager to shove it in their faces, but I'm not sure they would really give a crap to be honest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast