Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

A's Trade for Samardzija and Hammel!

A's trade Russell to Cubs for Samardzija, Hammel
    July 4, 2014, 7:45 pm

OAKLAND -– The A’s have struck a blockbuster deal to shake up Major League Baseball’s trading season, acquiring starting pitchers Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel from the Chicago Cubs for a package that includes top prospect Addison Russell, a source with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal and Jon Morosi were the first to report a deal was in the works Friday. ESPN’s Keith Law is reporting that right-hander Dan Straily and minor league outfielder Billy McKinney -– the A’s No. 2 prospect behind Russell –- also are going to the Cubs.

Oakland is not expected to announce the trade until Saturday at the earliest.

The A’s own the majors’ best record at 53-33, but with one sweeping move they have declared their seriousness about getting over the postseason hump and making a serious run at a World Series. A’s catcher Derek Norris said he’s very excited about the moves, though he hated to see the team part with the players it did.

“Ultimately, this may take our team from being near the top to the top,” Norris said.

The A’s appear to have addressed their biggest need with the deal, as their starting pitching depth has taken a big hit this season due to injuries. But it comes at a steep price.

Russell, a 20-year-old shortstop who was playing at Double-A in the A’s system, is generally considered one of the top 10 prospects in all of the major leagues. He was Oakland’s 2012 first-round pick. McKinney, 19, was a first-round pick the following season. Straily began this season in Oakland’s rotation but was demoted to Triple-A Sacramento in May.

The A’s have made their share of blockbuster trades in recent seasons, but it’s typically been them sending established big leaguers to other teams for prospects. Now, with a team that’s won back-to-back division titles only to be bounced in the A.L. Division Series by Detroit each time, general manager Billy Beane flipped the script and made a trade that has “win now” written all over it.

Though their pitching staff ranks second in the majors with a 3.18 ERA, there was justifiable reason to wonder how their rotation would hold up all season in its current form.

Sonny Gray, in his first full major league season, has fought inconsistency. Jesse Chavez is in his first year as a major league starter. Drew Pomeranz is on the disabled list, and his replacement, Brad Mills, spent all of last season out of the majors. Tommy Milone was terrific in Friday’s 1-0, 12-inning victory over Toronto, but he’s a back-of-the-rotation presence. Even Scott Kazmir, likely to be an All-Star, has had durability issues in the past.

When the A’s get their new starters in uniform, they’ll feature a rotation that should include Gray, Kazmir, Samardzija and Hammel -– in some order -– with a fifth spot likely to be filled by Chavez, Milone or Brad Mills, or some combination of that trio.

Samardzija, 29, was the second-most coveted pitcher on the trade market behind only Tampa Bay’s David Price, and it made sense that it would take Russell to pry him away from the Cubs.

Samardzija is just 2-7 this season for the last-place Cubs, but he holds a 2.83 ERA. He is relatively young and should have several quality years left in his arm. Importantly, he’s also affordable and under team control through the 2015 season. He is making just $5.35 million this season and will remain relatively affordable next season in his third year of arbitration. The A’s will at least have the option of trying to sign Samardzija long-term, though he will be very costly.

The 31-year-old Hammel, 7-5 with a 2.98 ERA this season, is on a $6 million salary this season and will be a free agent at season’s end.
    Tags:
    Oakland A's, Top Stories, Jeff Samardzija, Jason Hammel, mlb, CHICAGO CUBS

Joe Stiglich is CSNBayArea.com's A's Insider. Follow him on Twitter @JoeStiglichCSN.
    http://www.csnbayarea.com/athletics/...ardzija-hammel

Wow!!! Love the trade. Billy Beane just pushed all his chips into the center of the table and calmly said... "all in"
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 12-4
    Warriors = 51-31 Making it rain!
    A's = 59-36 Back to Back AL West Champs!
    WINNING!

vCash
    I'm terrified. It's officially all or nothing for us. If Samardzija pitches on Sunday, theres a 95% chance I'm releasing my shift at work and heading to Oakland. I am so god damn excited, yet nervous

Getting rid of Russell absolutely blows, but the A's just put themselves on top of the baseball world with this move, and I could not be any more eager for the postseason
    Unleash the Mamba!

vCash
    I don't really like this at all, a package of russell and mckinney shouldve netted us a much larger return. Heck, I don't think I would even trade russell alone for them two.

Even if by some chance we win the ws, this trade was quite lobsided

vCash
    Hamel and Shark are both good. Shark is great. You guys will love him good luck going forward. Love the A's. Thrilled for you guys. Beane deserves a ****ing Series.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    I don't really like this at all, a package of russell and mckinney shouldve netted us a much larger return. Heck, I don't think I would even trade russell alone for them two.

What on earth more could you haven possibly gotten? I'm legitimately asking. What other team even had two guys this good available?

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Another thing to consider is the fact that Russell would be playing for an awful Athletics team after this playoff window. The A's only have 2 years to make this championship happen before guys salaries get out of hand. The farm system will be absolutely stacked once we trade everyone.

Another thing of note. No first round pick of the Athletics is safe. Our only first rounder over the last decade still on the squad is Gray and Doolittle (compensation pick)

It's now or never *****es
    Unleash the Mamba!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas:28730460
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post

What on earth more could you haven possibly gotten? I'm legitimately asking. What other team even had two guys this good available?
    Shark is 29 and a fa pretty soon. He's not exactly a number one proven ace which I feel we could've gotten for Russell AND McKinney. Hammel is certainly not that good so he's nothing more than a 4th or 5th option no matter how good he's been this year

vCash
    I understand people are upset we let two prospects go but on the other hand whose going to say for certain either of those prospects ever work out?

We got two good arms for some players that may or may not pan out in the show. I don't see this as a loss for the A's I see it as an opportunity to get over the hump and get a ring.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    I can't believe he traded Russell. On top of that. I can't believe he traded Russell and McKinney for a guy he will have 1 1/2 years. I know they have D. Robertson also but geez. I don't see how this isn't a total failure unless they sign Samardzija to an extension. Russell has a chance to be one the best players in baseball.

vCash
    its been mentioned on other boards but a package of russell and mckinney likely could have gotten price but we wont know for sure.
    this deal is better because we get two guys with top 20 FIP in the big leagues in 1 deal.

vCash
    D. Robertson has had a tremendous season which has seen his power increase. He's now up to 12 HR's, is hitting .302 with a .406 OBP. This probably let Beane do this. If the A's aren't cheap for once, sign Samardzija to a big, 3 to 5 year extension, this might be worth it. I don't see how they can't. Parker has now had 2, TJ deals. You can't count on him ever again.

It now becomes a question of whether Beane is done? This team is loaded beyond belief in the pen with O'Flaherty back. Tucker Healy is obviously on the fast track. He's K's to innings pitched are absurd. Cook seems to me as a guy who is the odd man out. Milone obviously being a lefty and cheap would have more value than Chavez. Do you package a Cook and Milone for a second baseman you can play for a few years?

Russell was on the fast track. I think they put Robertson on the fast track now. I expect him to immediately be moved up to AA, if he does well, AAA by the end of the season.
    Last edited by cespedesrules; 07-05-2014 at 06:46 AM.

vCash
    Something to factor in on Price. The Sox's lit him up in the playoffs. His ERA is 3.50 this season. In other words. Lots of K's but his production is decreasing. Price's career post season ERA, 5.06 with a 1.31 whip in 32 innings. That just flat out sucks.
    Last edited by cespedesrules; 07-05-2014 at 04:28 AM.

vCash
    I love this trade. Prospects are just that, prospects - some pan out, some don't. It's a risk I'm willing to take to win a World Series.

We now addressed our fragile starting pitching, now let's get a quality 2B.

ahhh... the good ole days

watch 4free here http://firstrownow.eu

vCash
    If I'm Beane, I lock up Samardzija for 5 years, 90 million. He just didn't want to sign with the Cubs. Now, any A's poster will tell you that money isn't something the A's do. You don't sign him to that because you want him for all 5 years. It's common sense. The Yankees and Sox's pitching sucks. Once they lose Cespedes, Moss and perhaps Donaldson to FA, the A's are going to need to re-tool. They could trade a locked up Samardzija for a boat load to either one of those pitching desperate teams and re-stock immediately. It's good business. The deal can work if Beane signs Samardzija. That is the key.
    Last edited by cespedesrules; 07-05-2014 at 05:01 AM.

vCash
    You would think the A's could package Cook, Reddick and Callespo for a legitimate second baseman. Somebody mentioned Beckham. Don't think he would cost much to acquire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast