Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Comparing Animosity: Cleveland and Miami

Compare the potential animosity of the current Miami Heat fans and the Cleveland Cavalier fans (of 2010) in each hypothetical scenario:

LeBron James leaves Miami [back to Cleveland][for the Houston Rockets][for the Phoenix Suns][for the Dallas Mavericks].

Do you think the Miami Heat fans feel less, the same, or more animosity than the Cleveland Cavalier fans of 2010 felt towards LeBron James leaving them? Explain for each hypothetical and potential destination (Cleveland, Houston, Phoenix, Dallas).

Note: LeBron James could just as well resign with the Heat, this is not about that hypothetical so please stay on point. Thanks.
    Last edited by Redrum187; 07-04-2014 at 05:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    Compare the potential animosity of the current Miami Heat fans and the Cleveland Cavalier fans (of 2010) in each hypothetical scenario:

LeBron James leaves Miami [back to Cleveland][for the Houston Rockets][for the Phoenix Suns][for the Dallas Mavericks].

Do you think the Miami Heat fans feel just as much, the same, or more animosity than the Cleveland Cavalier fans of 2010 felt towards LeBron James leaving them? Explain for each hypothetical and potential destination (Cleveland, Houston, Phoenix, Dallas).

Note: LeBron James could just as well resign with the Heat, this is not about that hypothetical so please stay on point. Thanks.

The bold are the same level of animosity. It should read "...less, the same, or more..."

"In my eyes, life is likened to christian ideology... its molded into three parts best described by the divine comedy; inferno, purgatorio and paradiso. You can live it in self loathing and pity, obscurity and ambiguity, or with beauty and elegance. Does that make the ideology truth? no, it makes it an irrelevent metaphor." ;p

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ombada View Post
    The bold are the same level of animosity. It should read "...less, the same, or more..."
    Thank you for that. I usually triple-check everything I write. I'm not sure how that error passed me.

vCash
    Simply playing by your game (assuming he's leaving), being a HEAT fan my animosity will probably be the same but for different reasons.

Cleveland fans were mad because they felt he chickened out on the challenge and going against his own statement that he wanted to win a championship for that franchise.

Me, I would be angry for different reasons. Unlike them I don't hold any liability of loyalty to the HEAT franchise by LeBron, despite the championships and Finals trips. He played out his contract, if he wants to play elsewhere so be it. I would not feel he backed away from a challenge either. You only play a few years, if he feels he can't contend anymore with Miami and needs a better team, that's also within his right. The primary point of anger would be the departure circumstances of free agency.

When he left Cleveland they were going to be above the cap whether he resigned or left. They had no roster flexibility to quickly rebuild or retool. Although this wasn't too many Cavs fans saying this, and more of outside fans, some also felt he owed them some type of obligation to trade him, which makes little sense to me. LeBron was trying to win a championship there. Contrary to troll belief he didn't know years ago he was leaving and colluded to lose on purpose. If he won, he likely opts into the final season on his then current deal, at the minimum, and if he really just wanted to go to a bigger market, could have pushed for it in 2011 assuming his old Cavs supporting cast was not able to repeat as champions. He then looks slightly better in his departure by saying basically "I won the championship I promised you, but couldn't repeat cause we have old 36+ Shaq and Jamison, so I have to leave and find a better team". Then could have teamed up with Carmelo that summer anyway.

The difference is, if LeBron decided he was leaving the HEAT, I would have wanted him to inform Riley over the last couple days so he could have been more aggressive pursuing Lowry and Gortat, because we realistically could have afforded both without LeBron, and maybe a wing defender like Thabo. Potentially we would be right back in the Finals next summer with that lineup assuming we resign Bosh also and he really likes Miami and would probably be willing to stay with that type of lineup knowing he would be more of a focal point and they can offer more money and years than other teams.

So if LeBron left, especially for another EC team, it would kind of be like he purposely held Riley hostage to eliminate his potential competition.
    Last edited by beasted86; 07-04-2014 at 08:46 AM.

vCash
    From the outside looking in, I don't believe Heat fans will be as upset. It'll hurt, sure, but they probably understand that they had 4 great years including the 2 titles. For this to ever work long term, you need to pay people and the cap doesn't help. So it's not easy to keep them all together.

vCash
    Would Heat fans be as hurt if he went back to Cleveland?

vCash
    Umm he won heat 2 titles. He won Cleveland zero. I mean heat fans should know lebron don't give a crap about y'all. He went there for rings and got them. I doubt he thought about heat fans once since signing. I mean this in no disrespect its the truth. He just wanted rings.

Not sure how y'all could even be mad at him
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    less. He isn't going to go on TV for a 'decision' again, so he's not going to embarrass the city of miami the way he did cleveland.

They may hate him for being a turncoat, lack of loyalty, or ring chasing, or being more concerned with his legacy than being a true competitor, but it won't be as bad as the decision was.

I still think he stays. I think he's wary of the media hype that surrounded him the last time and how it played out, and the fact he'll be labelled as a fair weather player if he does.

vCash

Comparing Animosity: Cleveland and Miami

Well it will be less because in Cleveland he promised a championship and he grew up not far from there and was considered "one of their own". The typical Miami fan just takes this dynasty they formed for granted. The true Miami fans will be more upset, but he did bring you two champs and four finals appearances

Grizz: Titans: UK BBall: APSU BBall:
    - MJ-BULLS

vCash
    If he does leave, I still do not believe he is but in the case he does it would be extremely cowardly. Miami is not Cleveland. Miami has not only embraced him, but the best player in our team's history took a back seat for him. Erik Spoelstra has completely transformed the offense that only works because of him and Chris Bosh has sacrificed almost all other aspects of his game to become one of the best jump shooters to give Lebron nice driving lanes. So Miami has not just been bending over backwards to retain him, we have been bending over backwards for him for a long time.

Don't get me wrong it has worked out extremely well for Miami, but (IF he leaves) to run out the door the first time the team shows a true crack in it's armor would be ridiculous. When we lost in 2011 people knew we were gonna be back so this truly is the first time the team has looked vulnerable in 4 years. People have been speculating about Wade since 2012, but we were still winning.

But if he does leave he is not only quitting on the entire organization that has bent over backwards and changed everything about themselves just to make him as comfortable as possible, he is also quitting on the organization that he has won with. Miami is different than Cleveland in a lot of ways, but the fact that he has won here and can continue to win would make a said decision to leave disguising.

However if he does leave I will try to remember him by these last 4 years. He has brought a lot to the organization that cannot be replaced. I will be angry with him, and I will hope he does not win a title with another team, but I won't hate him.
    Last edited by TylerSL; 07-04-2014 at 12:31 PM.

vCash
    Cleveland Fans were crying like someone kidnapped their child when LeBron left. I dont imagine we will see a mass burning of LeBron jerseys or people showing up to his house to protest and throw stuff like we did when he left CLE in 2010.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerSL View Post
    If he does leave, I still do not believe he is but in the case he does it would be extremely cowardly. Miami is not Cleveland. Miami has not only embraced him, but the best player in our team's history took a back seat for him. Erik Spoelstra has completely transformed the offense that only works because of him and Chris Bosh has sacrificed almost all other aspects of his game to become one of the best jump shooters to give Lebron nice driving lanes. So Miami has not just been bending over backwards to retain him, we have been bending over backwards for him for a long time.

Don't get me wrong it has worked out extremely well for Miami, but (IF he leaves) to run out the door the first time the team shows a true crack in it's armor would be ridiculous. When we lost in 2011 people knew we were gonna be back so this truly is the first time the team has looked vulnerable in 4 years. People have been speculating about Wade since 2012, but we were still winning.

But if he does leave he is not only quitting on the entire organization that has bent over backwards and changed everything about themselves just to make him as comfortable as possible, he is also quitting on the organization that he has won with. Miami is different than Cleveland in a lot of ways, but the fact that he has won here and can continue to win would make a said decision to leave disguising.

However if he does leave I will try to remember him by these last 4 years. He has brought a lot to the organization that cannot be replaced. I will be angry with him, and I will hope he does not win a title with another team, but I won't hate him.
    LeBron came to Miami as a hired Mercenary. He has no roots or ties to Miami and he won you guys 2 Championships and 4 trips to the finals. If he leaves be grateful for what he gave you and move on. You cant be made if a hired Merc decides to pack it up and merc for someone else.

vCash
    Lebron just can't be ring chasing this desperately at his age (he still isn't even 30!), I just feel like he put all this pressure on himself and it has taken away from the fact that this guy should be having tons of fun playing in the league. Instead he put the pressure of not 1, not 2, not 6, and etched chosen one on his back. Miami still has all the tools required to win a chip. They got Shabazz, they could sign Isiah Thomas, and maybe pull of a coup in Gasol. The whole idea of jumping ship from a team that went to 4 straight Finals and won 2 is ridiculous.

I'm also curious as to why Lebron, who is hailed for making his teammates better, has failed to make Wade or Bosh anywhere near as effective as they were without him. IMO Lebron being the primary ballhandler isn't good for Miami and that if they had a real PG handling the ball that it would open the floor much more for MIA, especially now that Lebron could shoot. Lebron could be a 30+ ppg scorer, Bosh could run the 2 man game with a PG and Wade could slash and cut his way to 15 a night. The whole Chris Bosh is only good for spacing the floor thing is old now. I'm tired of watching a guy who should be the best PF in the game only camping out at the 3 point line.

vCash
    Of course the animosity is different he won 2 chips with the heat & most likely won't surprise the team he is leaving by telling them on national TV instead of face to face this time.
    U MAD BILL???

vCash
    Three things:
    I don't think Miami fans have any reason at all to be mad at LeBron - he gave you/them 4 Great Years (individually & team-success-wise). What a thrill and honor for all Miami / HEAT fans.

I don't think Cleveland fans had any reason at all to be mad at LeBron - he gave you/them 6-7 Great Years and a trip to the Finals for a virtual "D-League" Team (besides him). What an extended thrill and honor.

In the first dozen posts in this thread, I get the strong impression that the posters (so far) hate LeBron (for supposedly chasing rings). (I bet even MJ would not have stayed in Chicago if his team hadn't have gotten good enough to challenge for Chips. Many other great players have either switched teams, threatened to do so, or wished they had. For me, after 4-5 years of dedication to one team, you have every right to stay or switch - and no one has any right to complain about it.

He's given NBA fans 10 truly great years (and a marvelous first year as well). Hopefully he can give us a number more of Great Years - boy would I love that.

The average NBA GOAT All-Time Top 10-er has/had 10-11 Great Years. I feel NOTHING but respect towards LBJ (and all the other truly Great players, past and present); and am so thankful he has graced our world with his magnificent play.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast