Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,150
    vCash
    1500

    What would YOU give Giannis for a contract extension?

    Been thinking about this after seeing some asinine deals like Jodie Meeks 6mil per, Gordon 4-5 mil, Hayward max, etc.


    I don't think Giannis is by any means a "max" player, but I could see giving him an 8-10 mil per deal right now, maybe with escalators based on performance. By potential he should be a "max" player or close to it in a year or two for us, IMO.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    45
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Been thinking about this after seeing some asinine deals like Jodie Meeks 6mil per, Gordon 4-5 mil, Hayward max, etc.


    I don't think Giannis is by any means a "max" player, but I could see giving him an 8-10 mil per deal right now, maybe with escalators based on performance. By potential he should be a "max" player or close to it in a year or two for us, IMO.
    Unless something has changed, Antetokounmpo, is not an extension eligible rookie....NBA rules don't allow players under rookie contract to sign extensions until their fourth year. Currently, Giannis is going into his third year of his rookie contract which is a 3+2 contract, the plus two is a team option.

    Giannis is set to make:

    2014-15: $1,873,200
    2015-16: $1,953,960 (Team Option)
    2016-17: $2,995,421 (Team Option)

    Even when eligible, which would be the 2015-16 season, the Bucks will be in no hurry to extend him and he shouldn't be in a rush to extend. The Bucks are in a very good cap position with Giannis...keep it that way....make him earn a big contract in 2018-19.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Palmyra,Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,826
    vCash
    1500
    Let RFA decide his contract. Then we match offer sheet or we extend him before he reaches RFA. Then after that contract is up then offer him the max.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Southwest Wisco
    Posts
    1,768
    vCash
    1500
    He's someone we have to keep..I see his numbers going up..12ppg or more and seven rodmans. That's great he has grown and added some weight in muscle. He should have a stellar sophomore season.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Palmyra,Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,826
    vCash
    1500
    Like Caron Butlers comparison said of Giannis is Andrei Kirilenko. That's about spot on.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    45
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    Like Caron Butlers comparison said of Giannis is Andrei Kirilenko. That's about spot on.
    I disagree....athletically there is no comparison, Giannis' 10x's the athlete. The only similarities I see are height, weight and they are both European players.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,479
    vCash
    1500
    I don't know that the comp had anything to do with physical makeup. My guess is that it was more from a boxscore type of standpoint. AK in his prime was the type of guy who would fill up the stat sheet. His lines would always be something like 14 points, 6 boards, 4 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks or something like that. I think Caron was probably saying that's probably the type of player Giannis will become. I would hope he'd be the type of guy who could assert himself more offensively and be at least a little more of a force on that end of the floor. Perhaps Andre Iguodala would be a more accurate comparison from that sense.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,227
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CoaChad View Post
    Unless something has changed, Antetokounmpo, is not an extension eligible rookie....NBA rules don't allow players under rookie contract to sign extensions until their fourth year. Currently, Giannis is going into his third year of his rookie contract which is a 3+2 contract, the plus two is a team option.

    Giannis is set to make:

    2014-15: $1,873,200
    2015-16: $1,953,960 (Team Option)
    2016-17: $2,995,421 (Team Option)

    Even when eligible, which would be the 2015-16 season, the Bucks will be in no hurry to extend him and he shouldn't be in a rush to extend. The Bucks are in a very good cap position with Giannis...keep it that way....make him earn a big contract in 2018-19.
    Won't this just be his 2nd season? Its way to early to be thinking extension on this guy. And even just the hypothetical discussion of what type of player he could be is a ways off. He just finished his rookie year and he didn't play a whole lot. You'd have to be able to look pretty deep into the crystal ball to start talking max contract.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    45
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Won't this just be his 2nd season? Its way to early to be thinking extension on this guy. And even just the hypothetical discussion of what type of player he could be is a ways off. He just finished his rookie year and he didn't play a whole lot. You'd have to be able to look pretty deep into the crystal ball to start talking max contract.
    You are correct, I miss read my source, he is entering his second season of a 2+2 contract....he would be eligible 2016-17. No need to sign an extension then, he will either earn a max contract or RFA will determine his value.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,150
    vCash
    1500
    My point was more what everybody thought Giannis could fetch IF he was a free agent right now, not should we or could we extend him lol.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    654
    vCash
    1500
    Hard to say.. If Giannis can bring the Bucks Batum like stats than around 12 mill.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    133
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CoaChad View Post
    I disagree....athletically there is no comparison, Giannis' 10x's the athlete. The only similarities I see are height, weight and they are both European players.
    Young Kirelenko was a great athlete and a great player. Not sure why he doesn't qualify as a great athlete. If Giannis becomes that good for a longer length of time, we should all be very happy.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,479
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    My point was more what everybody thought Giannis could fetch IF he was a free agent right now, not should we or could we extend him lol.
    Its so hard to tell, because in the nba, if he were somehow a free agent, it would be such an unprecedented deal. Basically never, in recent history at least, has such a high upside, but unknown quantity been on the open market. I think that's why it would be difficult to gauge. It would also depend so much on his agent too. Would they go for the best money, the best market, or the best opportunity? Because at his age, all of those things would come into play. If he were a FA right now, he could sign 3 different 4 year deals, all of which would still be signed when he was considered as a prime player. Heck, he'd be 32 at the end of his last 4 year deal, which would be nuts. Granted this is all speculation, I would think he would be able to get at least $6 million a year on the open market, probably more than that from a young team like Philly who has cap space they need to spend to get to the floor. They could do whatever it takes to get him as a wildcard, and it really wouldn't hurt them if he doesn't turn out.

    Quote Originally Posted by mseds99 View Post
    Young Kirelenko was a great athlete and a great player. Not sure why he doesn't qualify as a great athlete. If Giannis becomes that good for a longer length of time, we should all be very happy.
    I think you're right on this. Originally when you posted this, I kept thinking Kirelenko wasn't a great offensive player. But I looked at his stats, and his per 36 numbers from ages 21-23 were pretty impressive. Those were basically his 3 best years (age 23 season was about a half season due to injury) but his numbers were roughly 16.5 points, 7 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals and almost 3 blocks per 36 minutes.

    By comparison, Scottie Pippen's career per 36 numbers are 16 points, 6.5 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals and just under 1 block. If you want a rough approximation of prime Pippen's numbers, you're looking more like 18-19 points, 7 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals and 1 block.

    Those numbers really aren't that far off to be honest. Pippen could obviously score it more and dished out more assists, but Kirelenko was a better shot blocker. I think some combination of either one of their numbers for those years would be a good prime year target for Giannis.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Palmyra,Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,826
    vCash
    1500
    With a new t.v. deal soon. I can see Giannis worth $12M per or more easily. He's only guy we have worth watching besides Parker and Knight and some Sanders. We already seen lousy players inking nice deals already this summer. Plus salary cap slowly rising each season.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,227
    vCash
    1500
    He's too much of a question mark right now. Not enough of a sample size and still very raw. Sure theres, potential, but theres a ton of guys drafted into the NBA that have potential end up just being average. I'd be hesitant to commit to a long term deal.
    check out my blog http://sshfoma.weebly.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •